Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
OpenRift

What songs do you wish had MIDI renditions?

I'm sure you've been in this scenario before: you're making a map while listening to an absolute banger track and you want it your WAD in so, so badly, but nobody's ever bothered making a rendition of it. The closest you find is something on Chordify or something, but it's locked behind a damn paywall.

What are some songs you wish were MIDI-ified?

A proper MIDI rendition of Skrillex's Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites.

Or in more seriousness, I wish more modern games had MIDI-ified songs, I don't mean the piano-only MIDI renditions that you can find on Youtube. By "modern games" I mean games made between 2000-now that don't use MIDI music.

Edited by Hitboi

Discreet Music by Brian Eno. I've mused about a truly ambient midi track in a wad before, this one being the ideal piece. I think a midi with no beat or harmonic progression or any of the other aspects on non - ambient music removed would make a fascinating back drop to demon slaying. Especially in the really artful maps we se by people like Ribbiks and Eternal. The only problem is that Discreet Music was composed with two sequences repeating randomly into a Frippertronics tape loop. How you would get close to that sound in midi is beyond me. Probably lots and lots of tracks of those two sequences fading in and out in random intervals with varying volumes and intensities. I'd very much like to see it, but I don't know if midi can do early electronic music like that justice. 

Everything from Playstation Doom and Doom 64 (besides Retribution Dawns, which already has an excellent MIDI rendition)

A lot of Touhou songs deserves better plain MIDI renditions than what's available right now. Outside the most well known songs I am left wanting all the time.

A lot of the Cruisn’ USA and Rush/Rush 2 music was never MIDIfied, as well as a lot of great tracks from Mario Tennis, all n64 games. Odd as it might sound, all those games feature a number of tracks that could work excellently for Doom maps.

More recent / AAA vg music - though I'd lie if I said the usual sites don't have MIDIs to last me a lifetime.

Only exception (that I mentioned in another thread): I have a sweet map ready to go as soon as I find or make a MIDI of Deep Forest's Boheme.

Rammstein - Ich Tu Dir Weh

I know there are some. But they either are in links that don't exist anymore or locked behind some stupid paywall.

I've never been able to find any songs by the sisters of mercy in midi form besides the ones used in scythe 2. I think Nine While Nine would be interesting to hear.

Way too many to list them all, but a few:
Abandoned Castle and The Eneomaos Machine Tower from Castlevania: Curse of Darkness
Unseen Abyss and Crimson Blitz from Final Fantasy XIII-2 and Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII
Devil's Revival and The Chozo Ruin Depths from Haunted Castle and Metroid Prime

Everything from Royal Republic.

Had to use a guitar learning website with locked out features behind a pro subscription to even try to transcribe a banger of theirs. Gotta say, I think it worked.

oh if you're curious no i didn't pay for pro.

I want a midi rendition of any type of reverb, delay, phaser, stereo separation or automation. Delay is replicable, but it requires placing at least 3 times the notes (as the bare minimum for a short feedback) and individually panning them if stereo delay is desired. No thank you.

The limitations working with midis are seriously frustrating. I think it's time to start moving Doom into the future and using more modern formats. It costs more to play Doom on computers that require midi format music than it does to play on a modern system. 

Examples with self promotion:

Spoiler

I twice took breaks from my collaborations on Doom projects to compose something I wanted to hear. Both happy DnB tracks, one was made for midi, and one to be exported as a wav file. The midi track took 3 times as long because of midi-inherent tedium, where as I busted the wav track out in an hour or two, which has a much fuller sound.

underwhelming midi

eargasm wav

On topic: Deadmau5 "Word Problems" (But alas, it would be ass)

Not original, but Mike Gordons work would be interesting to hear in Bobby Princes style.

Edit: I just heared some fan demakes and I take my statement back; Mike Gordon is just not made for midi convertions. It's just not the same if you can't hear all the little things in the background you only notice when they're gone.

Edited by ChestedArmor

Would love a good midi version of this track from a (quite comprehensive) Marble Blast mod I played a lot around ~2010. Big nostalgia value for me.

Spoiler

Few, if any. Songs that are composed first with the idea of them being MIDIs always sound better because they are designed with the format in mind. Songs that started out as "normal" songs almost invariably lose some spark in translation, if only because of my mind's inevitable comparison to the original.

The Dance of Eternity, there are some midi versions out there but they don’t quite capture the feel of the song, idk if that’s midi limitations or not though

I'd love to see Injury Reserve get more MIDI conversions. Such an underrated group

There's a lot of movie soundtracks that need MIDI renditions, especially those composed by Jerry Goldsmith and James Horner.

I always thought the Wrack soundtrack would be perfect for Doom MIDIs, seeing how Bobby Prince himself composed it as well. While the game itself is pretty half-baked, I personally believe some of the music in that ost is some of his best work. This one being a personal favourite of mine.

Edited by HydroFS02