Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
beezee88

My first wad... be kind

Hi. I'm kinda new to editing, and I'm about half-way through building my first proper map. Get it here, and tell me what you think. If I get enough postive response, who knows, I may even finsh it! Tell me all the bugs you find, and what you think of the music.

PS. I recommend ZDoom for this, it's not required, but I did my testing with it and then gave it a brief run in Doom95. No idea if it will work with Doom2 or not.

PPS. It's VERY hard. I can sometimes get to the end, but it's mostly luck. IDDQD for the first few goes maybe.

edit: 50mgs doesn't let me link exactly to the file, so go here and choose ZTEST.ZIP.

Beats my first map :) difficulty seems about right. The switch for the lift could do with adjusting and the northern most door could do with a ceiling in front of it (like its counterpart in the south), it opens into the sky atm.

Add some more detail? (lighting etc). Maybe extend the intro a bit more? make the player work for the soulspere. Hope this helps

Heh, did you try uploading it to /newstuff at the ftp archive?

That way it gets reviewed on DW and is available for download to the whole community for reviews and pointers etc.

If you don't how to do it just shout.

Your map looks very promising and the music fits perfectly with the speedy gameplay. You should definitely try to finish it.

I would replace the textures in the room behind the blue door with something other than the butt-ugly green marble :-)
Also you could get rid of most of the crap in that room.

The blue key is kinda redundant, the double shotgun should be enough of an incentive for the player to venture into the courtyard.

I'm a little surprised that you haven't used the repaired version I emailed to you...the missing textures and ceiling height error were fixed, now they are back. Also, the lift switch was centered properly. Eh?

Biffy said:

I'm a little surprised that you haven't used the repaired version I emailed to you...the missing textures and ceiling height error were fixed, now they are back. Also, the lift switch was centered properly. Eh?

Well, Biffy, I was planning, on using your level, but when I when I opened up what I thought was MAP01FIX.WAD it was actually just my old MAP01.WAD. I guess I couldn't tell the difference because none of the actual architechture was changed. Anyway, I added a litle bit to the map, saved it, and then realised that I had used the wrong file... Not that much has been done though, I could always redo it on your file (thanks for that by the way).

Szymanski said:

Maybe extend the intro a bit more? make the player work for the soulspere.

Heh heh, the intro... That was the first ever room I made in Doom. I was messing about with the DoomCAD Tutorials, how to make a door and teleport and stuff. In the finished version, I am considering having quite a long bit between the start point and the big battle.

By the way, if anyone it struggling to even get through the first fighting scene, I have recorded a ZDoom 2.0.38 demo that shows my techniques. Go to my site, and choose demo1.zip

PS Anyone know a *free* web host that allows for direct image and file linking?