• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Arsinikk

ENDOOM Appreciation Thread

1 hour ago, mrthejoshmon said:

ENDUNGEON.png.4b40b0e9e4091e0a05d8adec1ba52ebf.png

"I'm an artist. I'm an ASCII artist.

I'm hired for people to create their ENDOOM screens—their deep, dark ENDOOM screens."

Is there any way to convert ANSI .bin files to .gif files without spending several years in a programming course? I've found a bunch of old or insanely convoluted programs, many of which were abandoned in a half-complete state. Would be super useful for sharing/exporting ENDOOM graphics, which as of now is a huge pain in the ass (especially if they're animated)

1 minute ago, Doomkid said:

Is there any way to convert ANSI .bin files to .gif files without spending several years in a programming course? I've found a bunch of old or insanely convoluted programs, many of which were abandoned in a half-complete state. Would be super useful for sharing/exporting ENDOOM graphics, which as of now is a huge pain in the ass (especially if they're animated)

Yeah, I'm not sure... It is kind of a pain... The way I did my gifs, is that I just screenshotted both frames from DOSBOX and then dropped it into Photoshop and then exported a gif... I would really like an easier way to make gifs from ENDOOMs.

2 hours ago, Doomkid said:

For non-animated ones, I just took a screenshot from SLADE3 since I prefer its font better.

ENDEDIT displays animations, so you can just take two screenshots of that and stitch 'em into a GIF.

I've written a tutorial on how to make ENDOOM art. There is a fair bit of ENDOOM art there and art meant for ENDOOM screens there.

I used the same font from that tutorial, with some tweaks for Block Rocking Bytes. I should probably have recolored it and tweaked it a bit for a future version. I also follow the common art scene practice of inserting a signature. This is typically a short-form version of ones handle, then an exclamation mark and the initials of your group. You will also see some people use @ or ^instead of !. I made colored my signature dark grey and put it in a place where it wouldn't ruin the artwork or use up space I needed for the project details.
image.png.9aedee4f45981785e18ecf21c92a7bc3.png

I got a few ENDOOM screens that are unreleased, so when those projects finally get done, you get to see them. Those are more elaborate than the ones you see here. Doom things take time :)

image.png

Damn, all arts here are so good. I'm kinda sad that I can't implement a such good ENDOOM art for my Boiled Doom (I've just edited the ENDOOM from Doom 0.4, lol)

On 8/15/2022 at 5:53 AM, thelamp said:

Had lotsa fun making this, ENDEDIT is a cool program! Too bad it's helping me to procrastinate actually mapping

I used to get angry at myself because of exactly the same reason, but at some point I came to the conclusion that as long as you're spending time working in something that's gonna eventually end up being used in your wad, it's never procrastination.

I don't have anything to share but I really like this thread, and also I am gonna pay more attention to endoom screens, and also those screens that alternate with the intro screen. Great stuff.

On 9/3/2022 at 8:39 AM, Dexiaz said:

Damn, all arts here are so good. I'm kinda sad that I can't implement a such good ENDOOM art for my Boiled Doom (I've just edited the ENDOOM from Doom 0.4, lol)

You can use ENDEDIT, it requires some getting used to, but when you do get used to it, you can do some crazy shit, trust me.

2 minutes ago, Codename_Delta said:

You can use ENDEDIT, it requires some getting used to, but when you do get used to it, you can do some crazy shit, trust me.

I'm always using ENDEDIT, it's a question of the art talent, not the tool.

Hey that’s not too bad. Is the yellow ] in the eye sockets supposed to be like glowing beady eyes?

28 minutes ago, VoanHead said:

Hey that’s not too bad. Is the yellow ] in the eye sockets supposed to be like glowing beady eyes?

Yeah, they blink for extra cheesiness lmao

Not bad at all. Those are better than 90% of the ENDOOM screens I have seen. You'd probably have an easier time if you used a dedicated ansi tool like pablodraw or good old acid draw. If you have trouble converting the output from these into ENDOOM format, you can always recreate them.

Pablo Draw has a more dos-like font, artwork tends to look more like how it was intended, but for complicated reasons, rendering the aspect correctly is very hard to do on current monitors due to non-square pixels. DOS has pixels that are 20% taller or so. Rendering it correctly with square pixels would require a monitor capable of like 50000x40000 resolution, it's a ludicrous number.

Pablo can output into a 'raw text mode' format, and without the sauce header, it is exactly the same format that ENDOOM screens are. It's a simple format, one byte describes the color and other attributes, the next byte is the character to be displayed. This is why ENDOOM screens are 8000 bytes big since they are 80*25*2 bytes of data.

I think I talked to one of the devs, or someone who knew them, a while ago about not adding the sauce header to that memory dump format, or at least have it as optional.

3 hours ago, t.v. said:

I recently started making Endoom (aka ANSI) art too.

It is a lot of fun playing around with the limitations and possibilities, once you get the hang of it :-) 

Here are 2 screens I made for my Doom projects...

If I had a time machine they could have been included in the wads :-)

I'm using Endedit. Great program!

2 revolution-09.png

1 harmony-endoom11.png

Those look great. Can you post the raw files, too?

Pablo can output into a 'raw text mode' format, and without the sauce header, it is exactly the same format that ENDOOM screens are. It's a simple format, one byte describes the color and other attributes, the next byte is the character to be displayed. This is why ENDOOM screens are 8000 bytes big since they are 80*25*2 bytes of data.

You probably mean 4000 bytes ;-).

Endedit saves as a bin file that is 4kb in size and is compatible as an Endoom entry.

The only problem I have with the program is that I cannot figure out how to insert some of the special characters, like the English pound. Maybe it is my computer?

Those look great. Can you post the raw files, too?

Thanks! I have attached them to this message. May I ask what you want them for?

ENDOOM is beautiful and I'm glad it's being kept alive. Only downside is I can't seem to screen cap them, at least in Woof!.