Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Job

Which weapons would you like to see in Doom III?

Are there any weapons, existing in other shooters or in your own mind, that you'd like to see in Doom III?

Hmm, nope - I'll be happy as long as Doom 3 has all the weapons from the old Doom games and that seems very much to be the case, judging from various sources.

Chainsaw confirmed (and showed on screenshot resting in the hands of a zombie - I assume that you can acquire it yourself once you kill it).

Fists seen in Alpha by a couple of people.

Pistol shown in E3 demo and is available in Alpha.

Shotgun shown on mag screenshots and in E3 demo, plus it's available in Alpha.

Chaingun shown in E3 demo and is also in Alpha - though not as a weapon that the player can use (but I assume that it will be attainable in the final game, since commandos drop them - it'd be retarded if you couldn't pick those up)

Rocket launcher confirmed and has placeholder art in Alpha.

Plasma rifle mentioned in PC Gamer Mag article and has placeholder art in Alpha.

BFG confirmed and has placeholder art in Alpha.

So it seems like I should be well pleased.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't this topic been discussed et nauseum?

Prime said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't this topic been discussed et nauseum?

Possibly. If so, start a digression. :P

old fashion sawed off double barrled shotgun I mean come one. As for what weapons I have seen so far it looks pretty good except I dunno whats up with the design of the handgun??? Its like a cross between a smith&wesson .44 and a glock .40

[possible Alpha spoiler below, don't read if you don't want to know about the confirmed D3 weapons as of that alpha leak]

Personally, I'd like to wield a few demonic weapons.. and, judging from what you can find in the D3 alpha configs and such, that'll happen. One of the weapons.. I can't recall the exact name.. uses some kind of soul force for ammo. That should be pretty fun to employ. Aside from that, I'd like to see a few interesting futuristic weapons, with a few low-tech things thrown in for good measure. i.e. the chainsaw and perhaps an antique double-barrel sawed-off shotgun.

Dslyecxi said:

[possible Alpha spoiler below, don't read if you don't want to know about the confirmed D3 weapons as of that alpha leak]

Personally, I'd like to wield a few demonic weapons.. and, judging from what you can find in the D3 alpha configs and such, that'll happen. One of the weapons.. I can't recall the exact name.. uses some kind of soul force for ammo. That should be pretty fun to employ.

That should be pretty gay to employ. The demons aren't about weapons they're about ripping your fucking head off. Soul force? WTF? This isn't some mythical ancient game, it's Doom.

I am happy with what Doom III will have as weapons are concerned. But like those bombs where you can like stick on a wall, enter a code and run then it blasts after a bit, those would seem neato, for like blasting open doors, before any massive firepower that you have could do. Or just some type of layable/plantable bomb or explosive of some sort. :D

Just a thought, from me noodle. :D

Alientank said:

That should be pretty gay to employ. The demons aren't about weapons they're about ripping your fucking head off. Soul force? WTF? This isn't some mythical ancient game, it's Doom.

Woah D00dio, its just a thought he had, and a suggestion of what he thought would be neat to see. Not like id is actually taking these in for real weapon concepts into the game. (that we know of ;)). So theres no need to insult his thought. You can dissagree with it, yes, theres nothing wrong with that, but theres no need to call it "gay to employ" or anything that would put down his idea. :D

Alientank said:

Remember that the demons are led by a 'mastermind'. Why else would a cybie even know how to shoot his RL, rather than just bashing you into the ground with it? Revnants with Homing missiles? Mancubii? Since this IS a retelling of Doom, shouldn't it have SOME of Doom's influence?

All the weapons are fine IMO, they all have different look and different usage, which is ok. I would like to have a good'ol magnum, but I doubt the a futuristic military base would have that.

Darkstalker said:

All the weapons are fine IMO, they all have different look and different usage, which is ok. I would like to have a good'ol magnum, but I doubt the a futuristic military base would have that.

Slap a laser beam on it and whola! its futuristic. :D

ravage said:

Remember that the demons are led by a 'mastermind'. Why else would a cybie even know how to shoot his RL, rather than just bashing you into the ground with it? Revnants with Homing missiles? Mancubii? Since this IS a retelling of Doom, shouldn't it have SOME of Doom's influence?

This is to be like the original Doom. Pretend the previous never happened. But they are following much of the original stuff. I don't think a weapon that draws power from your soul sounds very cool. Does it shoot holy scriptures? Please...

Ok, maybe I should clarify my earlier statement.
Brace yourself.
There IS a weapon in Doom III that is fed some kind of soul-based energy force. If you want proof, look through all the scripts and such in the D3 alpha. There's a lot of stuff in there that you'll probably find surprising.. I won't spoil any more for you, tho. Feel free to look at it yourself. I'll even provide the locations in which scripts you can find said info. That'll have to wait until I'm off shift tho..

Dslyecxi said:

Ok, maybe I should clarify my earlier statement.
Brace yourself.
There IS a weapon in Doom III that is fed some kind of soul-based energy force. If you want proof, look through all the scripts and such in the D3 alpha. There's a lot of stuff in there that you'll probably find surprising.. I won't spoil any more for you, tho. Feel free to look at it yourself. I'll even provide the locations in which scripts you can find said info. That'll have to wait until I'm off shift tho..

It's true, I can confirm this. It sounds retarded so far but who knows it's actually quite fun when I use that weapon.

<SPOILER>
It's called a 'Soulcube' by the way. It says so in the script.
</SPOILER>

What´s with the Double-barreled Shotgun? It wouldn´t be Doom without one! All the stupid interviewers ask "will the BFG be there, will the BFG be there", but I think the DB Shotty is much more important, both from a gameplay point of view and style wise.

Another weapon that should definitely be there is a Grenade Launcher - not jut hand grenades! Hand grenades that can be used with a Grenade Launcher like in Quake2 would be perfect. But hand grenades only would be wimpy.

Tetzlaff said:

What´s with the Double-barreled Shotgun? It wouldn´t be Doom without one! All the stupid interviewers ask "will the BFG be there, will the BFG be there", but I think the DB Shotty is much more important, both from a gameplay point of view and style wise.

Another weapon that should definitely be there is a Grenade Launcher - not jut hand grenades! Hand grenades that can be used with a Grenade Launcher like in Quake2 would be perfect. But hand grenades only would be wimpy.

I think it's stupid to assume that the double barreled shotgun won't be in Doom 3 - the weapon is far too popular and id knows that. It's gonna be there.

A grenade launcher is too much Quakish imo. I don't see what's wrong with having regular hand grenades replacing a grenade launcher - it allows for a more fresh feel instead of the tried and true gren launcher, plus, there was never a gren launcher in the old games, so it's not nearly as important to have it in Doom 3.

But some sort of hand grenades would be cool.

As for this "soul cube" thing - I can immediately say that I don't like it. Anyway, the Alpha is just that, an Alpha and just because there are things in the scripts, doesn't mean that it's gonna be there in the final game.

I think the Soul Cube will be a powerup or an item of some kind, not a weapon.

The weapon list from the alpha didn´t contain a Double-barreled Shotgun, and it wasn´t mentioned at all in the newer interviews. So that´s why I´m a bit worried.

A Grenade Launcher isn´t necessarely quakish IMO. The original Doom didn´t had one because it´s a weapon that only makes sense when you can look up and down ;)

So why don't you like it? All you know is the name.

That's jumping the gun just a wee bit IMO..
And besides.. it's their game. I trust id to make (mostly) the right decisions when it comes to a game like this.

Don't jump to snap judgements over something as trivial as the name of a weapon.

And let me assure you that there are a number of as-yet-unrevealed (afaik) 'secrets' that can be discovered in the alpha configs/scripts that will be largely intact in the final game, due to the fact that they appear to be significant aspects of the story. And, seeing as how the story was finished before work got seriously underway on the actual game, I doubt there's any way they can remove those elements without crippling the game..

Edit: The weapon I'm referring to in my above posts isn't the Soulcube. The Soulcubes are just ammo for the weapon (and they're listed as such). Whatever the actual weapon may be is unknown to me at this time.

Tetzlaff said:

I think the Soul Cube will be a powerup or an item of some kind, not a weapon.

The weapon list from the alpha didn´t contain a Double-barreled Shotgun, and it wasn´t mentioned at all in the newer interviews. So that´s why I´m a bit worried.

A Grenade Launcher isn´t necessarely quakish IMO. The original Doom didn´t had one because it´s a weapon that only makes sense when you can look up and down ;)

Soul cube thingy: Yeah I think so too - it'd make more sense.
Db shotgun: Hmmm? That doesn't sound too good then again, like I said above, the Alpha isn't the final game, so just because the double-barreled shotty isn't there in the Alpha's script, doesn't mean that it won't show up in the final game.

Unless id has got the totally retarded idea that Doom 3 must be "so true to Doom 1" in the weapons aspect that they leave it out and save it for a potential retelling of Doom 2 - I hope not, that would just be too stupid.

I still prefer to be confident of it showing up in Doom 3. That way my mood isn't ruined.

Gren launcher Well, RtCW had no grenade launcher and I haven't seen a separated gren launcher in any other game than the three Quakes (yes, Half Life had an attached gren launcher but that wasn't the same thing, so imo, the grenie launcher is Quakish all right. And the old Doom could just as easily have had grenades, because HeXen (a Doom engine-powered game) has some bottles that you can throw like grenades (they don't work too well, compared to later games' grenades, but they work well enough to be useful).

I'd still prefer hand grenades over a grenade launcher - it looks cool when you throw grenades, whereas a grenade launcher is just a gun that lobs grenades, which imho is not too exciting, plus something that, from a real life perspective, doesn't make much sense.

Why would they separate grenade launchers from assault rifles (or other weapons) in the future?

But that is, of course, just my own opinion.

I wouldn´t mind if they attach a Grenade Launcher to the Assault Rifle that was seen in the E3 demo / alpha, and trigger it with a secondary fire mode. But for some reason I´m very sure we will never see secondary fire modes in Doom3, so...

Dslyecxi said:

Edit: The weapon I'm referring to in my above posts isn't the Soulcube. The Soulcubes are just ammo for the weapon (and they're listed as such). Whatever the actual weapon may be is unknown to me at this time.

Well that´s interesting. A magical weapon like that satanic laser thing in Doom64 maybe?

Tetzlaff said:

I wouldn´t mind if they attach a Grenade Launcher to the Assault Rifle that was seen in the E3 demo / alpha, and trigger it with a secondary fire mode. But for some reason I´m very sure we will never see secondary fire modes in Doom3, so...

It's official that there are no alt fire modes.
It was announced a long time ago - more specifically, around E3 2002 iirc.

I think the double-barrelled shotgun will be included.
Everybody loves that cracking sound. Im sure id realise it is (i'd say) 75% of the peoples choice for weapons in doom.
I will be a little dissappointed if it isn't there unless id decide to completely fuck us up and release Doom IV a year from the release of Doom III "Hell on Earth....again" powered by Doom 3 engine.

But I'd doubt that, possible though,

meh...

All the classic doom weapons, a grenade launcher, an SMG, a railgun, and maybe a sniper rifle. These will keep me happy in Doom3, but i haven't got my hopes up that all of them will be included.

dsm said:

Gren launcher Well, RtCW had no grenade launcher and I haven't seen a separated gren launcher in any other game than the three Quakes (yes, Half Life had an attached gren launcher but that wasn't the same thing, so imo, the grenie launcher is Quakish all right.

Unreal II has a grenade launcher, with selectable grenade types. Really useful weapon.

dsm said:

I'd still prefer hand grenades over a grenade launcher - it looks cool when you throw grenades, whereas a grenade launcher is just a gun that lobs grenades, which imho is not too exciting, plus something that, from a real life perspective, doesn't make much sense.

I'm pretty sure I heard BBG or Shaviro say something about handgrenades in the alpha.

..actually I can confirm that myself, I just checked. But they're no where near fully implemented yet.

BlueSonnet said:

...and maybe a sniper rifle.

There is absolutely no use for a sniper rifle.

i am wondering how the flashlight works.. is it something on the suit or are they going to put it on the weapons. anyway.. grenades are in doom3. also flares, but thats no gun. an "high voltage stick" would be cool.. keeping those anoying zombies out of your way when you are walking towards a more powerfull weapon to finish those suckers off

Shaviro said:

There is absolutely no use for a sniper rifle.

hmmm, yeah...i guess so since this is probably going to be a game that is more up close and personal.

Dslyecxi said:

Personally, I'd like to wield a few demonic weapons.. and, judging from what you can find in the D3 alpha configs and such, that'll happen. One of the weapons.. I can't recall the exact name..uses some kind of soul force for ammo.

I dissagre it not hexen. But a railgun would me cool.