Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Job

Which weapons would you like to see in Doom III?

I dunno about the db shotgun. I guess I just like the end scene of Predator 2 where the alien throws danny glover an old hand pistol.

I'd like to find an ornate double barreled shotgun locked in a glass display case in some generals office somewhere. It would give a sense of timescale at the very least :)

The_Aeromaster said:

In the future, I'm sure we'll figure out ways to generate that much energy alot easier than how we power lasers now. Think.

And if we figure out ways to generate that much energy that easy, there'll be more efficient ways to use it than laser beams.

Fredrik said:

And if we figure out ways to generate that much energy that easy, there'll be more efficient ways to use it than laser beams.

Notice than the Doom universe doesn't make use of laser weapons, but plasma weapons.

There are currently two types of plasma known, you'd think they wouldn't find some sort of revolutionary plasma that doesn't require that much energy?

And besides, it's a game and it's supposed to look cool, so shut up about all this realism nitpickyness or I'll simply kill your posts.

Is that understood caveman?

lol yes master dsm...anyway enough of complaining before I get my ass banned I like the idea of finding the relic in a glass case or something of that matter. Also theres only one chance to get it in one level, that would make it so much more rewarding to use If you found it.

Fredrik said:

There's more efficient ways to use nuclear energy than blowing a couple cities (Hiroshima, Nagasaki) off the face of the earth. That didn't stop us.

Fredrik said:

Is this the same person who told BBG to shut up when he tried to explain the difference between chainguns and miniguns?

A freeze gun would be nice. Opposite to the flamethrower, sprays liquid nitrogen or something :). With all the particle and texture effects possible today they could make it something really special to see.

Freeze a baron and then either wait for him to topple over or shatter him into a thousand pieces with the dbs. Maybe you could freeze just his feet then watch them get stuck to the floor and be torn off :D

I wish this game had dismemberment :(

chilvence said:

A freeze gun would be nice. Opposite to the flamethrower, sprays liquid nitrogen or something :). With all the particle and texture effects possible today they could make it something really special to see.

Freeze a baron and then either wait for him to topple over or shatter him into a thousand pieces with the dbs. Maybe you could freeze just his feet then watch them get stuck to the floor and be torn off :D

This is Doom, not Duke Nukem. Also there will be from my best guesses, gib scenes for zombies and imps.

dsm said:

Notice than the Doom universe doesn't make use of laser weapons, but plasma weapons.

There are currently two types of plasma known, you'd think they wouldn't find some sort of revolutionary plasma that doesn't require that much energy?

And besides, it's a game and it's supposed to look cool, so shut up about all this realism nitpickyness or I'll simply kill your posts.

Is that understood caveman?

What about the laser weapon in DOOM64? It's the first and problably the last Laser weapon in DOOM

Is this the same person who told BBG to shut up when he tried to explain the difference between chainguns and miniguns?

shut up about all this realism nitpickyness or I'll simply kill your posts.

*Sigh*, some people really don't know how to recognize funneys.

Ultimate Demon said:

What about the laser weapon in DOOM64? It's the first and problably the last Laser weapon in DOOM

No. one, that was a demon weapon. No. two, it kinda wrecks the weapons balance because it makes the plasma rifle unnecessary, which is a reason not to have it in Doom 3 imo.

*sigh* why won't people EVER learn to use smilieys in their jokes? There are just too many examples of people misunderstanding jokes on a forum (this is in no small part due to different cultural backgrounds of people and different convictions on how to act in general), namely because you can't discern the tone - you can't see if people sound angry or happy etc from reading a text message.

Fredrik said:

Pretend that there is a smiley.

I don't have time to scrutinize every post and try to interpret if it's supposed to be a joke or not, so put them damn smileys on people.

Fredrik said:

Pretend that there's a claw near your face. :P *rolls eyes*

I love how people pretend they were joking after they get whooped in an arguement that they started.

If someone gets offended by this and starts an arguement that I lose, I vow not to pussy out and "I was just kiddin" or some sort of variation on that.

The_Aeromaster said:

I love how people pretend they were joking after they get whooped in an arguement that they started.

If someone gets offended by this and starts an arguement that I lose, I vow not to pussy out and "I was just kiddin" or some sort of variation on that.

Apparently you don't know me.

Fredrik said:

Apparently you don't know me.

Apparently, only few people on these forums know you well enough - and no, I'm not one of these "few people" who know you well enough.

Back on topic: If you haven't already figured out, I would like a sort of flamethrower in Doom 3. The "Super" Shotgun is a must, but I'll have to see the full version of Doom 3 without the db shotgun to become convinced that id has left it out.

Keeping it out of Doom 3 would make zero sense if you ask me.

Then I want hand grenades. They should be cool, futuristic hand grenades (a la Quake 2, but with a proper time fuse sound this time - the Q2 grenade time fuse sound in Quake Generations is quite good, something a bit like that would do).

And of course, I want the berserk kit, always the berserk kit (not really a weapon, but what the Hell..).

And that's it really. All the old weapons seem to be in place and working nicely, so I see no reason to complain about those.

Fredrik said:

Fredrik said:

Right back at ya.

dsm said:

Apparently, only few people on these forums know you well enough - and no, I'm not one of these "few people" who know you well enough.

Back on topic: If you haven't already figured out, I would like a sort of flamethrower in Doom 3. The "Super" Shotgun is a must, but I'll have to see the full version of Doom 3 without the db shotgun to become convinced that id has left it out.

Keeping it out of Doom 3 would make zero sense if you ask me.

Then I want hand grenades. They should be cool, futuristic hand grenades (a la Quake 2, but with a proper time fuse sound this time - the Q2 grenade time fuse sound in Quake Generations is quite good, something a bit like that would do).

And of course, I want the berserk kit, always the berserk kit (not really a weapon, but what the Hell..).

And that's it really. All the old weapons seem to be in place and working nicely, so I see no reason to complain about those.

Hand grens would be fuckin awesome :-)

Shaviro said:

There is absolutely no use for a sniper rifle.

So i've discovered, despite the alpha isn't reliable.

And Yeah hand grenades would be cool. If you can get hand grenades it would be so cool if you can kick a grenade towards an enemy. It would be even more cool if the kicked grenade goes into a demon's mouth, and it'll rule if the demon would swallow it accidently then explode. But i doubt that'll happen (the grenade kicking and swallowing).

I would like to see a) can opener b) oversized, novelty sporting-event foam glove c) potato gun d) Zomba/Jive recording contract.

Those would be awesome.

id wanna see some good ol' fashioned ballistic firearms. i didnt particuarly like the energy weapons in the original doom, but theyre probably gonna be there. ill deal with it. one thing i DONT want is a semi-auto shotgun. half of the fun in Doom was hearing the pump action sound after you wax an imp or demon. Double barrel and chainsaw are a must. gotta love that Evil Dead 2 style. no magic either. magic is gay. if i wanna see someone cast a fucking spell ill go watch lord of the rings (which SUCKED btw). and to those nitpickers out there who say "wahhh a double barrel wouldnt be used in the future", i say piss off. its a game. style is everything. they wouldnt use a chainsaw eiether but what is doom without the chainsaw?

AcesHigh77 said:

they wouldnt use a chainsaw eiether but what is doom without the chainsaw?

Just for the sake of nitpickyness Mr Newbie, the chainsaw could very well be used in the future.
Suppose the UAC is keeping a tight budget (fusion cutters are expensive) so they keep old-fashioned, but still very effective chainsaws.

Chainsaws can be fitted with steel-cutting blades you know, and can be used for means of construction.

And about your comment regarding the db shotty, yes, it's just a game, but even games need a decent amount of believability to them - especially realism-oriented games - and since Doom 3 is aiming at realism, it'd make zero sense to have an old relic for a weapon in it (I doubt a relic db shotgun would even be as powerful as the Doom sb shotgun) - but I suppose id puts a relic in the game anyway in order to not disappoint the Doom 2 fans.

IMJack said:

How old does a weapon have to be to be a "relic"? Fifty years? A hundred years?

Depends on the pace of technological evolution.

dsm said:

And about your comment regarding the db shotty, yes, it's just a game, but even games need a decent amount of believability to them - especially realism-oriented games - and since Doom 3 is aiming at realism, it'd make zero sense to have an old relic for a weapon in it (I doubt a relic db shotgun would even be as powerful as the Doom sb shotgun)

ok then hotshot. you wanna talk realism? then you oughta know that how "powerful" the weapon is, is NOT derived by its age. it is the cartridge it fires. now in Doom and Doom 2 it was generally assumed that the shotgun was a 12 gauge. most 12 gauge shells that ive seen usually come in 3 lengths. 2 3/4 inch, 3 inch, and 3 1/2 inch. the longer the shell the more powder charge the round has, the longer the range and the stronger the punch. the shot load itself would also dictate the destructive power of the round. obviously a slug will do more damage than if you got hit with a piece of birdshot.
assuming that both the double barrel and the pump action in Doom fired the same rounds then there wouldnt be a difference in how much damage they dealt out per shell. now that ive probably gone and pissed off a moderator ill say my goodbyes since chances are ill be banned from the board.

AcesHigh77 said:

now that ive probably gone and pissed off a moderator ill say my goodbyes since chances are ill be banned from the board.

what? You just stated your beliefs on this, I highly doubt that's grounds for banning, but you could have said it a bit nicer.

Pritch has told me that the DW moderators are cool people (meaning that don't get pissed off for stupid reasons). So don't think expressing your opinion in that sort of manner is gonna get you banned.

Of course as Ravage said, ideally posts should be polite, so maybe you should take that into account.

now that ive probably gone and pissed off a moderator ill say my goodbyes since chances are ill be banned from the board.

Wtf? All right, the first-time impression you've given me isn't the best one, but you're still ways off of getting banned.
Dammit, several long-time Members have insulted me before and I've never banned them even if I've wanted to. I ban people if I get the impression that they just piss people off in general (i.e. everybody - not just Staffers).

Oh and "hotshot" is barely an insult on this forum.

then you oughta know that how "powerful" the weapon is, is NOT derived by its age. it is the cartridge it fires. now in Doom and Doom 2 it was generally assumed that the shotgun was a 12 gauge. most 12 gauge shells that ive seen usually come in 3 lengths. 2 3/4 inch, 3 inch, and 3 1/2 inch. the longer the shell the more powder charge the round has, the longer the range and the stronger the punch. the shot load itself would also dictate the destructive power of the round. obviously a slug will do more damage than if you got hit with a piece of birdshot.
assuming that both the double barrel and the pump action in Doom fired the same rounds then there wouldnt be a difference in how much damage they dealt out per shell. now that ive probably gone and pissed off a moderator ill say my goodbyes since chances are ill be banned from the board.

Nice assumptions, but again, I have my doubts. I usually imagine that the Doom shotguns have a more advanced firing system (why would their looks change into something that looks more advanced and futuristic if they have the exact same internal systems?), which means that it "deals" with its ammunition differently from modern weapons.

To go into detail, what I had in mind, was some sort of special shells that fires projectile shaped pellets with spinning abilities (just like a normal bullet - that would explain why a single pellet in Doom is as powerful as a pistol shot) - now, making a projectile spin usually requires a barrel with rifling (grooves inside the barrel that cause the projectile to spin and 'drill'), so when we have a shell with, say, seven projectile-shaped pellets, this could be a problem - unless the weapons manufacturers have developed some advanced means of making each and every single of these seven pellets spin (I can't imagine how it's done - I'm no tech after all).

Since a modern shotgun wouldn't have this firing system, it's doubtful that it would even be able to fire these kinds of shells - if it could, it definitely wouldnøt be able to exploit the ammo to its full extent.

But like you said, it's just a game and I know that id don't want to let their fans down, so I'm sure we'll see a museum piece in the game anyway (I just happen to think it's ridiculous amd un-cool - I liked the design of the Q2 shotgun far better).