Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dweller Dark

What games do y'all think would make for good Doom wads and/or TCs?

I think a lot about how certain games, whether ancient or new, would be like if they were turned into Doom wads. And I figure people here think about it too, if the game(s) in question haven't already had a TC or wad "remake". 

For me, those games would mainly be System Shock and the Mass Effect games. System Shock is from the same era as Doom, so it shares a bit of the colorfulness and sound/music style, as well as a varied selection of weapons. The same could be said for System Shock 2, but I think the first game may translate better into a wad remake or TC. Mass Effect, for the most part, has a vibrant and colorful environment, and various useful weapons. The interesting thing for me is how Mass Effect's visual design, sound and music, and weapon roster would translate over to Doom. I wonder about how the music would change if remade in MIDI format, weapons like the M-7 Avenger or Carnifex being turned into first-person sprites, and so on. Concerning the enemies of Mass Effect, most of them have some sort of equivalent with Doom. The Husks are sort-of like Lost Souls or Pinkies, and enemies like the Banshees or Geth Primes as the equivalent of Hell Knights/Barons. In between, there's ones like the Cannibals, Marauders, Geth Troopers, and so on to fill the role of zombie soldiers, zombie shotgunners, and chaingunners. There are quite a few more that could qualify as Doom-equivalent enemies, but those are the ones I thought of. 

But I'd like to hear input from y'all as to whatever games you think would make good Doom wads and/or TCs, so let me know what you think.

Wolf 3D remake with the Doom engine

Wolf 3D is not a bad game, it's just really repetitive after a certain point and the lack of the z dimention and the lack of maneuver for hitscanners makes it pretty outdated.

It could be redone with the doom engine and sprites used from the Second encounter games

Not sure how many stuff it has but also maybe remaster the textures and how they look a little too pixely from up close (doom ones look less pixely from up close)

35 minutes ago, The Doommer said:

This has already been done in 1998 as Wolfendoom, and then they remade it again in ZDoom, and then in 3DGE, and once again in GZDoom.

Anyways, I think some Atari 2600 games would look really neat in first person, this kind of thing is perfect for secret maps, and most of them could be recreated within vanilla limitations.

Wolfentstein has been remade and redone. The most recent addition was Blade of Agony which is also its own Iwad.

There are 4 Castlevania based mods: Simons Destiny, Lycanthorn 1 and Lycanthorn 2, NOTS

Metroid has 1 TC and one Gameplay mod at minimum, not including Space Hunter. Metroid Doom and Metroid Dreadnought.

Zelda 1 has a full TC released called Legend of Doom

Halo Doom exists as a full gameplay mod including enemies, not to be confused with Halo : Doom Evolved which is a completely different project.

I think the ratchet and clank series would make for a brilliant doom TC, especially in the style of the golden souls series. Sadly, my art skills are garbage so I don’t have any hope of making one 

12 hours ago, Metal_Slayer said:

This has already been done in 1998 as Wolfendoom, and then they remade it again in ZDoom, and then in 3DGE, and once again in GZDoom.

For some reason I only knew about the TC and Brutal Wolfenstein.

Gave wolfendoom a try, it's pretty much the same levels with no elevation.

However Blade of Agony does seem like a proper remake.

A challenging one would probably be bringing Crash Bandicoot to Doom II engine. it's a platformer for starters, and the enemy placement could probably need readjustment as well. but the setpieces of crash 2 and crash 3 could probably be recreated. It's definetly a couple of years worth of development though. 

more easier ones: pretty much any FPS game. 

3 minutes ago, enigma101 said:

Hotline Miami would be cool with a 1st person perspective

Anger Foot is kinda like that, but a Doomline Miami wad/mod would be pretty cool

Well, since I've already mentioned that last month on another thread... I think it's criminal that no-one has ever made a Mutant Chronicles mod or total conversion. That universe just SCREAMS to have a Doom-styled, fast paced first person shooter game under its belt. I would try it myself if only I had the capabilities to put out good pixel art and animations, but sadly that's not the case, and to be done well, something like that would really need a lot of quality work. You know, to make justice to the legendary artworks and character design of Paul Bonner.

9 hours ago, IcarusOfDaggers said:

it's a platformer for starters

Would it work properly?

Cause while the triggers are an interesting concept to be there, I feel like the engine won't be the same cause it'll need really heavy modification

Talons from the temple os library of games would seem like a good fit for a doom tc.

11 hours ago, IcarusOfDaggers said:

A challenging one would probably be bringing Crash Bandicoot to Doom II engine.

This made me LOL for some reason, but then I remembered how great Golden Souls is, and thought about how straightforward Crash's levels are. A lot of work, but it could work.

2 hours ago, enigma101 said:

Hotline Miami would be cool with a 1st person perspective

Checkout 'Project Downfall'. You'll love it.

13 hours ago, The Doommer said:

However Blade of Agony does seem like a proper remake.

It's not a remake. It's a new game set in the same universe. Completely different thing.

There's a Star Trek Generations PC game that I would absolutely turn into a Doom TC if I only knew how to extract the graphics and sounds.

On 7/6/2022 at 5:18 PM, The Doommer said:

Wolf 3D is not a bad game, it's just really repetitive after a certain point and the lack of the z dimention and the lack of maneuver for hitscanners makes it pretty outdated.

It could be redone with the doom engine and sprites used from the Second encounter games

Not sure how many stuff it has but also maybe remaster the textures and how they look a little too pixely from up close (doom ones look less pixely from up close)

At that point, you just have a standard DOOM wad with a Wolf3D theme (something I'm sure has already been done a thousand times). The lack of height variation makes Wolf3D what it is.

Yume Nikki made in Doom would be pretty interesting, because a shift from top-down to first person perspective would change a lot of how you could explore the dream world.

34 minutes ago, pc234 said:

Yume Nikki made in Doom would be pretty interesting, because a shift from top-down to first person perspective would change a lot of how you could explore the dream world.

there was a Yume Nikki deathmatch wad made not to long ago iIrc.

6 hours ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

This made me LOL for some reason, but then I remembered how great Golden Souls is, and thought about how straightforward Crash's levels are. A lot of work, but it could work.

Because Crash is a platformer, and turning it into platforming FPS is unheard of in CB community....so far

@The Doommer
It could work probably. For mod anyway, for wad is a bit more difficult, since most of the levels are linear and open. Most of the enemies are crates...so thats modified barrels. both games have a wumpa fruit throwing or shooting...so similar to cacodemon throwing, and the only issue i can see is probably the plane levels and driving levels. everything else could be doable, but it won't be easy. it needs a lot of reimagining.

Edited by IcarusOfDaggers

11 hours ago, pc234 said:

You should check Yume Nikki 3D, it's a "sequel" to the original game made on the EDuke engine (modern Duke Nukem 3D port).
The game is on third person, but still pretty interesting:

Edited by Noiser

7 hours ago, pc234 said:

LSD dream emulator isn't a 1:1 first-person remake of Yume Nikki, but it's not too far off.

I believe a mod focused on classic Resident Evil games could work, but it would need some tweaking because Doomguy would stomp the entirety of Racoon City's zombie outbreak, and only Tyrants, William Birkin, Lisa Trevor and the Nemesis would pose an actual threat, the rest of Umbrella's B.O.W.s are mostly harmless except for dogs, lickers and hunters which could get a jump on the player, aside from those monsters, Umbrella's mercenaries could work as "intelligent" enemies a la HECU from Half-Life, trying to kill Doomguy with hitscan attacks, grenades (regular, acid and flame rounds), also rockets depending on the class.

I’d love to see a Banjo-Kazooie themed TC based on the FPS segments from Banjo-Tooie.