Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grimm

MUS Format

Is the reason id used this is so the Doom music would sound the same on every computer?

No. The format does not have any impact on the way the music sounds. A MUS file is just like a MIDI file - it only contains note values, which are processed by a synthesizer upon playback. The difference from MIDI (AFAIK) is that MUS is more compact (requires minimally less processing time, memory and disk space).

Fredrik said:

requires minimally less processing time, memory and disk space

Which of course was far more of an issue in '93.

Ultraviolet said:

Will anything work with MUS besides MIDI2MUS and MUS2MIDI?

Better question. Will anything work with MUS besides MIDI2MUS and MUS2MIDI that doesn't distort the music?

I know that Winamp's MIDI input plugin supports playback of MUS files, but I've never really tried it. You could theoretically try extracting a raw MUS file from a WAD and play it back with Winamp to see if it is played scrambled.

Fredrik said:

It's funny, neither MUS2MID nor MID2MUS has ever distorted a track for me.

It's not funny, because id DOESN'T work with me. (properly)

I've noticed that some midis sound different on a standard windows media player to they way they sound when converted, imported into and played in vanilla doom. Not major changes, just alterations in certain instrument volumes and sounds. I put this down to the code (instrument patches, whatever) that vanilla doom uses. But I must admit I know nothing about this field so it's only a guess. All I can say is that sometimes what I think are great midis, turn out to sound crap in vanilla doom.

Russell_P said:

I've noticed that some midis sound different on a standard windows media player to they way they sound when imported into and played in vanilla doom. Not major changes, just alterations in certain instrument volumes and sounds. I put this down to the code (instrument patches, whatever) that vanilla doom uses. But I must admit I know nothing about this field so it's only a guess. All I can say is that sometimes what I think are great midis, turn out to sound crap in vanilla doom.

And sometimes vice-versa. :(

In fact, for both NullSpace and LegoBase, I wasn't able to use the music I wanted for this very reason. I'd found what I thought were the perfect tracks for each, but had to abandon both when they came out as 'somewhat dissapointing' in sound quality after importing.

The .MUS format definately distorts MIDIs. The greatest example of this would have to EP4B.WAD.