Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zemini

The Eldritch Runes of Discord - BETA

Demo of the first level

Edited by Zemini : update coming soon.

wow this looks really impressive!  I do hope you come up with a name because I think that can really help with interest, and this looks like it deserves it!  It looks like you've added a lot of metagame stuff within levels like switches, tokens, gates and all sorts of stuff, reading through it is a little confusing but hopefully it's actually clear when you get in the game.

Would love to check some of this out, not sure how much as I'm looking at lots of Doom stuff but this looks worth looking into for sure!

2 hours ago, Zemini said:

CUTHA1.png.0d3a952a0145540ef33e207a712fa73f.pngGreen KeeperRUTHI1.png.c61dab2dfc80773f8ae4f47c941ea316.pngHarder Red Variant.

I won't lie, This right here as me sold. I love seeing lovecraftin stuff in doom. Also i know how hard it is to come up with names for maps, trust me i know. But when ever you release a beta wad (for the community to play) i think of a name for it. 

Added some more screenshots, i hope to post it tonight.

On 7/13/2022 at 2:31 PM, xScavengerWolfx said:

I won't lie, This right here as me sold. I love seeing lovecraftin stuff in doom. Also i know how hard it is to come up with names for maps, trust me i know. But when ever you release a beta wad (for the community to play) i think of a name for it. 

Lovecraftian/Eldritch influence will start as a slow trickle but eventually (through environmental story telling) will be a bigger part of the later campaign (under construction).  Demons are at conflict with one another whether they are from hell or another dark dimensions.  The only thing they hate more than each other is you (the player).

Edited by Zemini

3 hours ago, Zemini said:

Added some more screenshots, i hope to post it tonight.

Lovecraftian/Eldritch influence will start as a slow trickle but eventually (through environmental story telling) will be a bigger part of the later campaign (under construction).  Demons are at conflict with one another whether they are from hell or another dark dimensions.  The only thing they hate more than each other is you (the player).

UPDATE:  Released

DropBox Link

https://www.dropbox.com/s/305c1vfmaidndzv/The Elder Runes of Discord - BETA.7z?dl=0

I've played a little of it and goddamn it's fun but a pain at the same time. I will say the Hub area reminds me of Quake 1 with the 4 arch ways to go to each ep. I'm still on ep 1 but man i'm really digging it though. 

As far as a name for this goes i though of one i don't know if you want to use it or not but i thought of a name. Should call it "Elders of the forgotten realms" or "Realms of the forgotten elders". i don't know which one is better but just a thought while playing. 

2 minutes ago, xScavengerWolfx said:

I've played a little of it and goddamn it's fun but a pain at the same time. I will say the Hub area reminds me of Quake 1 with the 4 arch ways to go to each ep. I'm still on ep 1 but man i'm really digging it though. 

As far as a name for this goes i though of one i don't know if you want to use it or not but i thought of a name. Should call it "Elders of the forgotten realms" or "Realms of the forgotten elders". i don't know which one is better but just a thought while playing. 

What difficulty did you select?  Medium is about Ultra Violence

1 hour ago, Zemini said:

What difficulty did you select?  Medium is about Ultra Violence

Medium, i usually do HMP or UV depends on how i'm feeling 

New Version is up.  First Four episodes are complete.  I plan on having EP 5 and maybe 6 next quakecon.

I've only played the first map (Reception), so can only give initial impressions, nothing too in-depth.

There's a lot going on here. I said in another thread that your introduction video was easy to understand, and I'd definitely recommend people check that out (second post in this thread) so that they don't get bamboozled. It's not necessarily a negative thing, just that with so many tweaks and extensions to traditional gameplay (even little book-keeping things like different ammo/armour types and "leveling up" health), it's a lot to take in at first blush.

Despite that, I think the major subsystems like the slayers gates, crypts and fiend doors are readily understandable and add a lot to the standard Doom framework. Secrets aren't just wall-humping in the vain hope that you'll uncover an small ammo cache - you gotta explore the landscape so that you can eradicate every last demon possible.

Spoiler

Speaking of which, I heard the Slayer's Gate exit open before I dusted the last imp and got the all-clear message - is that normal?

And I really like how this vibes with the distinctly classic feel for the levels themselves. Something about the music and the layouts, and how they're contrasted with all the extra stuff. The e1m1 call-backs were incredibly cute, too.

I started on Easy, and felt that it did what it said on the tin. There monster count feels right, and you're given a stupid amount of ammo to deal with everything anyway. The only things that threw me for a loop were the Fiends and the acid traps. The former, having a higher ROF than standard nobles, were hilarious and I enjoyed fighting them quite a bit. The latter... I got got and wasn't sure why. Did picking up the invisibility screw me? It felt like constantly getting pinged by hitscanners, and there seems to be a lingering effect? It would be helpful if you could discuss the mechanics behind that one, if you wouldn't mind.

Despite the huge amount of nit-picking in this post, I really am enjoying this set and looking forward to exploring it proper; but I just thought I'd drop some initial feedback so you can see how fresh eyes might be coming at it. Congrats on the release, and on making your proposed release date - there's a monumental amount of effort in here, so I hope you can take a well-deserved breather before getting to work on eps 5 and 6.

Hey.

At map 04 (Ep 1), near end, on the yellow armor, if you stay at plataform, there's no way to go down.

Screenshot_Doom_20230809_220618.png.78c7680933d31b60da7672a4a92dd760.png

Screenshot_Doom_20230809_220559.png

15 hours ago, Daytime Waitress said:

I've only played the first map (Reception), so can only give initial impressions, nothing too in-depth.

There's a lot going on here. I said in another thread that your introduction video was easy to understand, and I'd definitely recommend people check that out (second post in this thread) so that they don't get bamboozled. It's not necessarily a negative thing, just that with so many tweaks and extensions to traditional gameplay (even little book-keeping things like different ammo/armour types and "leveling up" health), it's a lot to take in at first blush.

Despite that, I think the major subsystems like the slayers gates, crypts and fiend doors are readily understandable and add a lot to the standard Doom framework. Secrets aren't just wall-humping in the vain hope that you'll uncover an small ammo cache - you gotta explore the landscape so that you can eradicate every last demon possible.

Reveal hidden contents

Speaking of which, I heard the Slayer's Gate exit open before I dusted the last imp and got the all-clear message - is that normal?

And I really like how this vibes with the distinctly classic feel for the levels themselves. Something about the music and the layouts, and how they're contrasted with all the extra stuff. The e1m1 call-backs were incredibly cute, too.

I started on Easy, and felt that it did what it said on the tin. There monster count feels right, and you're given a stupid amount of ammo to deal with everything anyway. The only things that threw me for a loop were the Fiends and the acid traps. The former, having a higher ROF than standard nobles, were hilarious and I enjoyed fighting them quite a bit. The latter... I got got and wasn't sure why. Did picking up the invisibility screw me? It felt like constantly getting pinged by hitscanners, and there seems to be a lingering effect? It would be helpful if you could discuss the mechanics behind that one, if you wouldn't mind.

Despite the huge amount of nit-picking in this post, I really am enjoying this set and looking forward to exploring it proper; but I just thought I'd drop some initial feedback so you can see how fresh eyes might be coming at it. Congrats on the release, and on making your proposed release date - there's a monumental amount of effort in here, so I hope you can take a well-deserved breather before getting to work on eps 5 and 6.

It is a lot too take in.  I did put a few HELP SCREEN within the game with the f1 shortcut.  As far as Blursphere goes, it behaves like any other.  But TBH, they are best used against monsters with projectiles and turret traps.  

"Hey.

At map 04 (Ep 1), near end, on the yellow armor, if you stay at plataform, there's no way to go down."

Whoops that platform should never go back up.  Or just be removed since that is old architecture.

by complete "accident" i see the hub in the quakecon stream background right behind Hugo...

Edited by Zemini