Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

Why did the "head like a hole" midi from so many wads sound completely different/off-tone to the actual song? Technical limitations?

I heard the actual song long after being exposed to the midi, and the beat is just completely off.  The instrument used for vocals is the same.  Can you not put notes wherever you want on a midi?

Why did Invictius make a thread out of so many other threads they could have made and yet sound completely the same to their actual thread? Creative limitations?

:P

Ontopic: Its likely a badly arranged conversion. Some midi conversions tend to sound rather bad because they don't take into account the limits of midi instruments versus live instruments.

Its why custom soundtracks are so admirable by people like Primeval or Jimmy. They work with the standard soundset, and yet they make it sound fresh.

Is this the first time you've ever heard a midified song or something? 95% of them sound like shit because there's usually a bare minimum of effort put in. I've heard covers of Enter Sandman comprised of slide whistles and saxophones. There's a reason why community-made music is so valued. Yes, you can put notes wherever you want in a midi, how else would it work?

There's a special kind of kitsch charm to 90s midi transcriptions played sloppily on keyboard, likely from ear, and with the bare minimum of post touchups to make it "just good enough".

Oh, and don't forget the "1, 2, 1 2 3 4" rimshot intro.

37 minutes ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

Is this the first time you've ever heard a midified song or something? 95% of them sound like shit because there's usually a bare minimum of effort put in. I've heard covers of Enter Sandman comprised of slide whistles and saxophones. There's a reason why community-made music is so valued. Yes, you can put notes wherever you want in a midi, how else would it work?

Maybe first time I'd heard midified metal.  Pretty much everything else I've heard has been another genre.  That has me thinking... what's the name of that wad that uses das boot and is based off of a Polish/Czech scifi series?

When I played END1 and END2, the metallica/nin/other midis that are iconic for that mapset, so many of them were bad early nineties conversions, complete with the occasional ear-piercing screech now and again. It was bad enough that my brother walked in and forced me to play the real songs instead.

If that mapset ever gets a remaster, say as part of an END3 ( @NaturalTvventy hint hint :D) I'd love it if the midis got modern conversions.

EDIT: @invictius your thinking of Galaxia

I don't get it. The MIDI from nindoom or nin sounds to me at the same tempo as the original track. It just lacks the vocal part of the melody, you don't hear Trent Reznor singing "god money" and all that, so it will sound like a different tune as you only hear the instruments. The chorus in particular is totally different between the electric guitars and "BOW DOWN BEFORE THE ONE YOU SERVE, YOU'RE GOING TO GET WHAT YOU DESERVE!!!"

I'd love a megawad or episode using entirely Nine Inch Nails MIDIs.

I dunno man. Other than being a TINY bit slower, it sounds pretty much perfect to my ears.

For the most part, it's because the people making these covers are hobbyists with little to no formal music experience in transcription, most if it being learned from the practice of it, and it's perfectly fine. Not everyone is going to have the knowledge to do the most spot on cover imaginable, and even then that HLAH midi is pretty fine so I think you are being a goof :P