Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Thysamithan

A Silent Hill map for GZDoom

I have fond memories of SH1 and 2, so I got a kick out of it. Looks like you put a lot of work into, too, plus it plays nicely. Thanks for making this.

Hey, I love the idea of this!  Tried to load it up in GZDoom 4.7.1 and got a fatal error: "1 errors while parsing DECORATE scripts".  Not sure if this needs fully updated GZDoom, but I'll probably have to update since this was in issue with something else I tried to play.

edit: to be specific: Script error, "Silent Hill Map.pk3:demonic props.wad:DECORATE" line 234:
"ONLYVISIBLEINMIRRORS" is an unknown flag"

edit 2: finally upgraded to GZDoom 4.8.2 and got it working.  Honestly didn't realize I would have compatibility issues like this with new stuff, my bad.  Makes sense for stuff like this that is doing a lot with the engine.  I'll do a video for this soon!

Edited by sandwedge

Ok did a video on this, it was awesome!  Really evocative of those games, although tbh I haven't played them myself but I've seen enough of them to know that you really captured the creepy atmosphere and even some survival horror feel with scrounging for ammo.  I don't play a lot of horror games but I gotta say, you genuinely unnerved me at points and sent a shiver up my spine in one of the big fights.  Some of those ambient sound effects in the background were especially freaky, not sure if some of those are from the game or what. 

I did have a bit of issue with progression at a couple points in the big house area.  I do like that you got a computer map to help at the beginning, and it looks like it made the keys visible automatically?  But I couldn't find the yellow door on the automap, unlike the blue door.  I also just missed an area with a switch that opened the 3 key door, so that's probably my fault.  Obviously the very end really mixes up the theme with dark souls and then a furry lady which I thought was hilarious.  Though I was a bit confused as to whether I had some additional options with the secret weapon at the end.  I was also interested in how those resurrecting enemies worked, it seemed like they had a percentage chance to fully die?  It wasn't punching them and didn't seem to be killing them a set number of times.  That was creepy at first with them following you around, but once I realized it was super easy to stun punch them out they got a bit annoying more than anything.

Those were really just minor issues though, as in the main it's an awesome silent hill type experience.  It was so good it's making me want to play some more GZDoom horror mods that I know are out there, and I just never checked them out.  Great work and glad you made this a standalone release as I may not have noticed it otherwise! :)

Well, the latest Gzdoom says

Script error, "Silent Hill Map.pk3:demonic props.wad:DECORATE" line 234:
"ONLYVISIBLEINMIRRORS" is an unknown flag

What am I doing wrong?:)

I will look into this.

Edit: Well, that was easy. 6025 is just an empty barrel decoration, that was missing from the .PK3, because I thought the empty barrels were not used in the Silent Hill Map.
Turned out, that one single tiny room DID have two.
I added the resource and updated the upload.
It should now be completely free of errors

As for the script errors: Also fixed and should not require the very latest GZDoom version (4.8.1\4.8.2).
But that only applies to the 'Silent Hill only' download.
The 'full mod' version requires the new effect.

Edited by Thysamithan

I loved the map so far, played the first bit of it and will continue it later. The music works so well, just like in the original game (I'm guessing it's the same music?) and I actually did experience some of the same survival vibes a little along the road when health and ammo became sparse and the enemies became uhm.. many :) Scary stuff.  

Dude,  what the hell did you do to poor James? It's bad enough he took a shotgun blast to the chest in Nightmare of Decay.

On 8/26/2022 at 9:57 AM, NaliSeed said:

Dude,  what the hell did you do to poor James? It's bad enough he took a shotgun blast to the chest in Nightmare of Decay.

Weeelll... I did nothing.
He did.
In my personal interpretation he couldn´t take the loss of Mary, drove to Silent Hill to visit all the places the two had been to,
then got out of the car, into the restroom, then to the wall where he thought about the letter, then got the map, went
down those stairs, took a look at the picture, sat down on the wall and was overwhelmed with grief and the inability to
accept and put himself to an end.
And then started to continue to walk down the forest trail, where he got to Silent Hill and the rest of the original game.
Also in my interpretation, Mary´s letter isn´t a post mortem letter he recieved.
It is her last goodbye letter she wrote him in her last days coming to terms with her end and trying to keep James going on.
James kept it all the time and later deluded himself into thinking of the letter as being something that it wasn´t.
The text would be different, not what is said in the opening of the game (In my restless dreams....).
When you arrive he was after a while eaten by that Demondog you encounter in the beginning.

That whole idea came to me based on a few things that I found strange in the original Forest Trail.
First is the constant dog growlings you hear while you walk down that trail.
Then the extremely dream like presentation, that begins as soon as you enter the trail.
The constant headaching dizziness James feels when looking at the red savesquare.
The arrow sign says Toluca Lake, but you exit to a graveyard after the Trail and further into the Town.
James design himself screams depression, also he looks like he hadn´t properly slept for like years.
In the opening he even admits to himself that it is rediculous and can´t be, something I get as a part
of him still having a last bit grasping the facts, but the delusions being too tempting.
Obviously Silent Hill takes quite a bit from Jacobs Ladder, also themed with the insides of someone
wrestling with his end.
James leaves the car door open all that time. In the bathroom and even when entering the Forest Trail
with no possibility for the player to close it. He most likely doesn´t care anymore.
Was pretty miffed that I couldn´t replicate the open door with that voxel car.

But it´s just some dumb headcanon based on the first 15 Minutes of the game and bits and Shiba Inus
that I saw here and there.

19 minutes ago, bruhmoment123 said:

where is the download link?

Seconded. This looks dope as hell and I'd love to give it a playthrough. Konami didn't copyright strike the WAD itself, did they? Can they even do that?

Yeah what the heck, did the actual wad get DMCA'd?  That's crazy... I'm surprised they didn't try to take down my vid too, although I guess it wouldn't have enough views for that.  But if that's the case that's pretty petty by Konami... like I know you're supposed to protect your IP otherwise it sort of lapses but I don't see how a random Doom wad is threatening anything, lol.

Probably just jealousy on Konami's part. I mean, this wad's probably a better Silent Hill that every single one they've farted out since SH3; although The Room wasn't all that terrible, if you ask me. 

It wouldn't surprise me if Konami did hit this WAD with a DMCA. They're the living embodiment of a stereotypically greedy megacorp who will take on even the most rudimentary threat to their IP with extreme prejudice.

On 9/20/2022 at 1:54 AM, bruhmoment123 said:

where is the download link?

On 9/20/2022 at 2:15 AM, MIDIchlorine said:

Seconded. This looks dope as hell and I'd love to give it a playthrough. Konami didn't copyright strike the WAD itself, did they? Can they even do that?

On 9/20/2022 at 4:08 PM, A Handsome Fridge said:

Oh dang, I hope not. Glad I got it on my computer still, but more people need to play it!

On 9/24/2022 at 8:28 AM, sandwedge said:

Yeah what the heck, did the actual wad get DMCA'd?  That's crazy... I'm surprised they didn't try to take down my vid too, although I guess it wouldn't have enough views for that.  But if that's the case that's pretty petty by Konami... like I know you're supposed to protect your IP otherwise it sort of lapses but I don't see how a random Doom wad is threatening anything, lol.

On 9/24/2022 at 11:25 AM, NaliSeed said:

Probably just jealousy on Konami's part. I mean, this wad's probably a better Silent Hill that every single one they've farted out since SH3; although The Room wasn't all that terrible, if you ask me. 

On 9/24/2022 at 12:02 PM, Biodegradable said:

It wouldn't surprise me if Konami did hit this WAD with a DMCA. They're the living embodiment of a stereotypically greedy megacorp who will take on even the most rudimentary threat to their IP with extreme prejudice.

It is back up now in the opening post so you, yes YOU, can also experience my cringe inducing ineptitude.
If you play today, you get absolutely nothing additional FOR FREE.

Let them have me with their "scary" legal bullshit.
This wouldn´t be the first Fair Use dispute that I would win, it would actually be the third.
I´m not an easily impressable teenager those corporations often like to gang up upon.
I know my way around.
I hope their new SH games will be the terrible flops that I suspect them to be.
FucKonami doesn´t show care for their various IP´s for over 15 years, so why would that change
with their new Post-It-Simulator and the Goober Team bargain bin Silent Hill Demake.
They will ruin everything from the atmosphere, to James, the music, story, gameplay, nuances, cohesion
all the way to the many subtle details, that made SH2 what it is.

Hi!

I love the look of this mod but the download link at the top is not working for me. Would it be possible to have another link please?

On 11/24/2022 at 10:08 PM, MalcolmJD said:

Hi!

I love the look of this mod but the download link at the top is not working for me. Would it be possible to have another link please?

The link works and I can only provide this one.
Open the link as a new tab and more importantly turn off plugins that block stuff.
That should work.

Would love to play this if you get it back up at some point. Did you rip assets from the game or is Konami just giving you a hard time because you put Silent Hill in the title? Either way, looks great and hope to see it back up.