Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DSC

What Do You Think Would Be The Reaction Of Filmbros To Actual Classic Cinema?

RLM is hilarious and remains the standard for me of online film criticism. 

Folding Ideas and Hbomberguy are amazing and I rewatch them constantly. 

Lindsay Ellis was fun to watch until she got canceled by the Finger-Wagging Tsk-Tskers which is ironic because her entire video career had been finger-wagging and tsk-tsking things. 

17 hours ago, DSC said:

I came across this today, and I'll be posting here to perfectly exemplify what kind of stuff filmbros say. Because, holy shit:

image.png.68f0df4b2c76069e95bb285f1669e8b3.png

How fucking stupid do you need to be to spit such utter nonsense? And to think this dumbass has over a million subs on YT and is very popular overall there. I know its because of the fact he's a grifter that appeals to and validates the opinions of the people who watch him, rather than his media illiterate and anti-intellectual form of "criticism", but still...

i mean, it's the Critical Drinker (get it? Critical-THINKER? ha ha) this guy is the perfect representation of modern Movie Youtube. but, i'll give him this: he knows how to make money off of a certain political lane very well.

12 hours ago, Mr. Freeze said:

RLM is hilarious and remains the standard for me of online film criticism. 

Eh. I feel like Mr. Plinkett has had an overall detrimental effect on film criticism: you know something has gone horribly wrong when people start unironically not just loving a deliberately racist and misogynistic character, but also imitating his style of commentary. In a way, I feel like it paved the way for the worst kind of filmbros out there. Sure, other online reviewers like James Rolfe's Angry Video Game Nerd and Doug Walker's Nostalgia Critic have their share of responsibility as well, but in hindsight, the Mr. Plinkett character stands out to me as particularly vile. Even Red Letter Media's non-Mr. Plinkett material can be really egregious: never forget that their original Star Trek 2009 review was a skit where a woman gets literally raped by the movie's poster and enjoyed it, even calling it a "beneficial rape". Like, fuck you, Red Letter Media.

As for Lindsay Ellis, what caused me to unsubscribe from her channel was her sudden urge to plug fucking ContraPoints in every video.

Edited by Rudolph

On 8/1/2022 at 12:23 PM, scalliano said:

Also, that guy is a bestselling author. Haven't read any of his stuff personally but I'll go out on a limb by guessing that the reason is because he knows a thing or two about storytelling.

Terrible argument. Dan Brown is a bestselling author and yet his books are absolute trash. Success does not equal expertise, and in the literary world success is often down to advertising and self-promotion (Brown often hyped up how much research he did for his books, much of it being grossly exaggerated.)

On 8/1/2022 at 8:01 PM, Mr. Freeze said:

Lindsay Ellis was fun to watch until she got canceled by the Finger-Wagging Tsk-Tskers which is ironic because her entire video career had been finger-wagging and tsk-tsking things. 

Lindsay Ellis deserved her canceling tbh. You don't support a known truscum and complain about there being too much Asian-influenced media without catching some consequences. I don't make the rules.

32 minutes ago, june gloom said:

Lindsay Ellis deserved her canceling tbh. You don't support a known truscum and complain about there being too much Asian-influenced media without catching some consequences. I don't make the rules.

Listening to some Asian creators, I was under the impression that the backlash to Lindsay Ellis' comments about Raya and The Last Dragon was unwarranted. I do not blame her for quitting social media, although I do not get why she decided to quit YouTube as well. Either way, I wish her well. ContraPoints, however, can go fuck herself: she has no business shaming people for unsubscribing to her channel.

13 hours ago, Rudolph said:

ContraPoints, however, can go fuck herself: she has no business shaming people for unsubscribing to her channel.

Wait, what?!? What happened with her to cause that?

She made serial domestic abuser, proud outer of Lana Wachowski and all-around piece of shit Buck Angel her hill to die on.

Naturally, people got pissed off at her. Some arguably reacted inappropriately in a misguided attempt to hold her accountable - social media like Twitter encourage that sort of behavior, unfortunately - and that prompted her to frame herself as a victim of "cancel culture", even though she has not lost her audience or her source of income. She has since made at least two feature-length videos where she proceeded to armchair-diagnose her detractors as either jealous of her success or secret Nazis. As far as I am aware, she still does not believe she has done anything wrong and thus has not learned a thing from the whole debacle.

Edited by Rudolph

4 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

She made serial domestic abuser, outer of Lana Wachowski and all-around piece of shit Buck Angel her hill to die on.

Oh that, I remember it now. Thought it was controversy long past, she addressed it already on her "Cancelling" video.

25 minutes ago, DSC said:

Thought it was controversy long past, she addressed it already on her "Cancelling" video.

Well, no, because in that video, she not heavily downplayed the harm that Buck Angel has caused and is still causing (i.e. being overtly hostile to trans women, he wasted no time jumping on the whole "groomer" bandwagon that is behind the ongoing assault on trans rights in the US and the UK), but also proceeded to compare the people who tried to warn her about him of belonging to 4chan or KiwiFarms.

Oh yeah, and the gall of ContraPoints to compare herself to French aristocrats getting the guillotine... Like, seriously, what the fuck?

All in all, that video has aged horribly, as she also used influencer James Charles as an example of a "victim" of cancel culture... even though he did admit to doing the very things that he was accused of. Last I checked, that video is still up and I do not think ContraPoints has offered any retraction in that regard. In fact, in an interview she did last year or so, she double-downed on her defense of Buck Angel by calling him a "legend" with "grumpy opinions" while once again dismissing her detractors as being merely driven by envy.

So yeah, if that is how she wants to be remembered, so be it, but again, she has no business shaming people for taking issue with that.

Edited by Rudolph

I'm so glad I don't recognize like 90% of the names that are getting dropped in this thread.

As for the OP, why don't you create your own Youtube channel where you talk about the movies you'd like to see getting talked about?

You can also add Georg-Rockall Schmidt to the list of non-bros who make analytical film content on Youtube, he also does some stuff on sociology and legal cases which I'm not personally interested in, but it at least demonstrates he has multiple interests, and is capable of thinking about things from multiple perspectives, which is less common than you might think.

1 hour ago, Gez said:

As for the OP, why don't you create your own Youtube channel where you talk about the movies you'd like to see getting talked about?

I have neither the talent or the resources :(

31 minutes ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

As someone who watches on average 1.5 foreign films a day, I have no idea who you guys are talking about :P

Me neither. This "filmbro" term, like most dumb internet-based slang, seems rather nebulous and sounds like it could be applied to anyone being obnoxious with their movie-related opinions. I read it and imagine an obnoxious fratboy telling me that, "You just don't get the nuance behind Felini's cinematography, bro" before crushing an empty tall-boy on his forehead.

Edited by Biodegradable

18 hours ago, DSC said:

I have neither the talent or the resources :(

It is also not even a matter of talent or resources. 

Thought Slime's first channel was reportedly a movie review channel, but it failed to get noticed or picked up by the algorithm. Even their current channel needed to be boosted by bigger channels in order to attract enough viewers to make it viable.

On 8/5/2022 at 12:10 PM, Biodegradable said:

Me neither. This "filmbro" term, like most dumb internet-based slang, seems rather nebulous and sounds like it could be applied to anyone being obnoxious with their movie-related opinions. I read it and imagine an obnoxious fratboy telling me that, "You just don't get the nuance behind Felini's cinematography, bro" before crushing an empty tall-boy on his forehead.

We did reach an agreement on a meaning of the term in the first page of the thread:

On 7/18/2022 at 7:10 PM, Mr. Freeze said:

My interpretation is that it's someone who claims to "love film" but all they watch are mainstream Hollywood films. Like a guy who's favorite movie is a Marvel movie, and behind that is Pulp Fiction, and behind that is Inception. He (an it's always a guy) doesn't watch "chick flicks", rom-coms, foreign films or know about the history of cinema in any fashion. The most out-there he gets is watching Get Out, but only because he doesn't want to be seen as racist. 

On 7/19/2022 at 1:49 PM, DSC said:

The only thing I would disagree with regards to being a "true" filmbro in this paragraph is the racist part, because there is a gigantic overlap between filmbros and Anti-SJW reactionaries. This creates a funny paradox sometimes, because its common to see them like movies with politics directly opposed to theirs, which they aren't aware of thanks to their astonishingly bad media literacy. Its also frequent for them to complain about mainstream franchises like Start Trek and Marvel media becoming "woke" and "political" recently when in fact they have always been so.

And funny thing is, at least according to this definition and my personal experiences, things like Fellini would precisely be the last thing in the world those people would want to watch.

Yeah, I cannot for the life of me imagine Jeremy Hambly throw a hissy fit about Fellini - although I reckon he would probably enjoy "Cinema Paradiso" or at the very least the scene where young boys start masturbating to a movie featuring an actress twice their age. :P

On 8/1/2022 at 10:10 AM, DSC said:

I came across this today, and I'll be posting here to perfectly exemplify what kind of stuff filmbros say. Because, holy shit:

image.png.68f0df4b2c76069e95bb285f1669e8b3.png

How fucking stupid do you need to be to spit such utter nonsense? And to think this dumbass has over a million subs on YT and is very popular overall there. I know its because of the fact he's a grifter that appeals to and validates the opinions of the people who watch him, rather than his media illiterate and anti-intellectual form of "criticism", but still...

What Did You Expect From Someone That Dubbed Himself "The Critical Drinker"?

1 hour ago, YoshizinGordin said:

What Did You Expect From Someone That Dubbed Himself "The Critical Drinker"?

Eh. The guy himself might be awful, but "The Critical Drinker" is not a bad name; in fact, it is a fairly clever pun.

I mean, one of my favorite channels is called "Thought Slime".

Its been a long time, but recently I came across something that might warrant a thread bump. Remember that Critical Drinker dude? He was just a shitty media-reviewer and a reactionary asshole, nothing worth caring about. Well, I just came across some really fucked up shit that completely changed my opinion and left me completely flabbergasted:

image.png.2fba4dce5de67e7ad53fa80508f60749.png

The woman was talking about how she got double death and rape threats the instant Musk bought Twitter. Then this irredeemable walking sack of shit comes in spewing this raw sewage out of his mouth. How much of an evil and cold fucking asshole you have to be to start making jokes about this? This isn't even about making crappy YouTube videos anymore. People like this cunt are genuinely straight up dangerous, and the culture that develops around them will cause some serious damage one day. I know its not my fault or anything, but I never had a way with words, I'm having a big trouble just trying to express my anger right now, and it saddens me that I just am powerless to do anything to change it. This IS well worth a damn caring about.

And how that note, I also have another thing to address too. @scalliano, why all these months ago you bothered to try and defend this asshole? You saw he was anti-woke and started defending him immediately because you thought he shared your values? Well, I'm certain you are a good person that will regret it and change your views in light of this... But still, see how dangerous immediately siding with people just because they are on your "side" is? I have seen many people myself that at first glance appear to agree with your values, in my cases leftist who I've seen as wanting to fight the good fight, just to immediately after reveal themselves as hardcore tankies defending Stalin and the current genocide of Uyghur people. This "us vs them" thing and its accompanying inflammatory and radicalized speeches just serves to more rapidly radicalize us and make us fight each other. In times like this, we better know what we stand and fight for actually is.

Not to stir the pot, but I'm pretty sure the pro-Musk crowd here is perfectly OK with that. Didn't racial slurs shoot up a huge % as soon as Musk purchased the site? According to these guys, having a tweet deleted is the worst thing imaginable, worse than death even. So I don't think they give a shit unfortunately. 

You gotta stop getting so mad at the internet, and doubly so social media. You can find inflammatory posts from anyone on any place on any arbitrary spectrum of beliefs.

This is why it's important to be armed. Nobody's going to pull anything if they know there's a chance they'll get lead in their head. 

38 minutes ago, dasho said:

You gotta stop getting so mad at the internet, and doubly so social media. You can find inflammatory posts from anyone on any place on any arbitrary spectrum of beliefs.

That's one of the things I talk about in my comment, though. At this point it isn't just some random people being assholes in the Internet. All this concentrated hate eventually just builds up to such extremes it has no option but to explode. Looking at some of those comments knowing that either the people who posted them or that are reading them might very possibly commit attacks in real life is a very scary thing.

2 hours ago, DSC said:

hardcore tankies defending Stalin

You are going to have to be more specific there.

"Filmbro" is as far as I can tell is one of those drifting amorphous targets that can apply to anybody you don't like. It can be guys who deeply emphasize with the incredibly painful and flawed existence of the main characters of movies like Joker or Taxi Driver or it can refer to people who like Martin Scorcese especially after he made a critique of the second-highest and first-highest grossing movie franchises of all time or it can refer to people who didn't like the The Last Jedi's inability to deliver on the promises it makes throughout the film or it can refer to really anything else that stands counter to what some ostensibly "progressive" whiter-than-casper youtube video essayist is saying at the moment. The "-bro" suffix itself implies an arrested development on the behalf of the speaker: An inability to move on from high school clique mentality, trying to desperately conjure up the image of a popped-collar sideways-capped double-solo-cup-fisting Chad who somehow also has the wherewithal to give a fuck about movies as an Other to target.

Red Letter Media is a lot of fun to watch. I don't care for rightoid content creators who have an incessant need to prove how Based they are and while I generally agree with the politics of the "breadtube" sphere I find their content way too preachy and obnoxious on the whole. Culture War shit sucks and I've had my fill of it sometime around 2014.

On 8/3/2022 at 5:56 PM, june gloom said:

I personally don't think a woman expressing an uneducated opinion on the Internet warrants her getting screamed at by an angry mob to the point where she flees for her life (and let's be fucking real here, it's usually women and LGBT people getting targeted).

To wit: I can't fucking stand the current state of this culture critique club on the computer where we're all supposed to keep an itemized spreadsheet on our desktop of every single personality along with every Bad Thing they've ever done so that we can properly Unperson them. Why is it that this cohort of people consuming media about consuming media, who are so insistent that they have a monopoly on empathy, are utterly incapable of practicing basic clemency?

Edited by segfault

5 hours ago, DSC said:

I'm having a big trouble just trying to express my anger right now
This IS well worth a damn caring about.

Receiving threats is basically part of the job description for well-known public figures such as politicians and journalists. You're going to find a million bajillion people on the internet making every single sort of threat imaginable. Really not worth your time

On 7/18/2022 at 8:57 AM, DSC said:

The main goal of the movie was to create an experience only possible through the language of cinema, completely disconnected from the grammar of literature. Basically, make something that couldn't be written in a conventional narrative made of words.

And that's probably the major reason why Tolkien was against the idea of making a LoTR movie. heh

On 8/5/2022 at 5:04 AM, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

Though it might be cliche, the only critic I ever liked was Ebert.

Man I miss Ebert. I prefer his philosophy of rating movies according to their own merits, rather than comparing them to other films by absolutes, meaning each film stands on its own class weight. His rating system of 4 stars was also a great way to tell the reader all they needed to know without getting into overwhelming detail. He was a guy that just loved cinema, and didn't treat it like some sort of high-culture exclusive to intellectuals or cultured ''bros''.

@DSC also, you seem to be a little to obsessive about what other people do/say and internet culture in general, like your dilemma with that Spanish guy, or your downward spiral into Chuck Norris history, and something something left/right, and you seem to only look at the extremes of both. I wouldn't consider myself a fan of the Critical Drinker, but I've seen some of his videos and I mostly agree with his points about movies and series, and shit, you gotta really have your brain turned off to enjoy any of modern films the big entertainment companies such as Marvel, which IMO, has become absolute crap.

I don't really follow more about him other than the videos, and shit, why would I want to learn every detail and thought he has on Twitter? Twitter, of all places, best place to throw you into the worse pits of human kind thought, ten times worse than Reddit, and the best place you watch yourself become a husk. He's whole persona is that he's some sort of cynic and jerk that reviews films. Abrasive and ''drunk''. Not the kind of format I enjoy, but I agree with most points about movies.

7 hours ago, DSC said:

I know its not my fault or anything, but I never had a way with words, I'm having a big trouble just trying to express my anger right now, and it saddens me that I just am powerless to do anything to change it. This IS well worth a damn caring about.

Wtf are you supposed to do to some Tweet? And why against the Critical Drinker and not the people that actually sent the threats then?

7 hours ago, DSC said:

But still, see how dangerous immediately siding with people just because they are on your "side" is? I have seen many people myself that at first glance appear to agree with your values, in my cases leftist who I've seen as wanting to fight the good fight, just to immediately after reveal themselves as hardcore tankies defending Stalin and the current genocide of Uyghur people. This "us vs them" thing and its accompanying inflammatory and radicalized speeches just serves to more rapidly radicalize us and make us fight each other. In times like this, we better know what we stand and fight for actually is.

What in the fuck are you talking about. If this is enough to radicalize you, shit man, I think you should look after yourself and re think how you spend your time on the internet. I'm pretty sure a random film reviewer on Youtube is probably in the least concern of extremist groups in the US right now. The only radical here is you.

Enjoy content you enjoy, don't try to force yourself into stalking people you dislike/disagree with, and please give social media a rest, you are burning your brain into a depression with no clear path. Stop worrying about what 100,000 alt-right or SJW strangers think or say on the internet.

And this is a Doom forum, for crying out loud, you wont find the answers to your concern, or the validation you seek, here.