Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ViolentBeetle

[MBF21 CP] DIY - Getting imaginative with simple colors. [Now on IDGAMES]

1 hour ago, Shepardus said:

Is there a list of music credits? I'm curious about the music for MAP24 (Harvest Moon) in particular.

It's track Blackfield - Some Day (tabbed by baptistoy)

@ryiron

On your map (Panic at the Disco) monsters in chruch are completely deaf to what's going on outside, which means I can shoot them one by one with impunity. Perhaps they should not be? They are stuck on pillars anyway.

In addition I think I could make final fight easier by not firing until pillars raise, but not sure if it's really an exploit.

Anyone else has weird sound stutter on MAP13? Probably problem on my side and can't be fixed, but maybe someone knows what's up with it. I assume too many lost souls.

8 hours ago, ViolentBeetle said:

On your map (Panic at the Disco) monsters in chruch are completely deaf to what's going on outside, which means I can shoot them one by one with impunity. Perhaps they should not be? They are stuck on pillars anyway.

Hmm, good catch. I didn’t think about that. Not sure for this one. The idea was that you alert them by grabbing the key and then the mancubus teleports in to block the exit. I don’t really want to make them alert from outside because then they’ll just fire at the player when you get near the church. I could make them pop up when you grab the key? I’m not too hung up on the cheese since the whole start of the map is meant to be a casual build up to the disco set piece. 

I think I’m ok with the no shooting strategy in the disco. It adds a bit of variety in how you play it, and I don’t think it will make the fight too much easier. 

Also, @Napsalm, I forgot to reply. I tried with your config, and with a couple of different dsda doom versions but could not replicate that crashes you were seeing on any of the maps you mentioned. I saw that some others were also looking into this. Did the issue get found/resolved?

8 minutes ago, ryiron said:

The idea was that you alert them by grabbing the key and then the mancubus teleports in to block the exit.

Perhaps they should also teleport then? I can just arrange them for you on my local copy.

On unrelated note, I believe I found the cause the mysterious mugshot-related crash. My understanding is that the offset of "lowest possible health and gets hit from the right" was off by a pixel and didn't compensate for slightly taller sprite, and that presumably caused it to fall off the bottom of the screen. It'll be fixed in RC2 which is coming soon.

18 minutes ago, ViolentBeetle said:

Perhaps they should also teleport then? I can just arrange them for you on my local copy.

Yeah, I’m happy for to make that change. Thanks. 

I've made it to MAP22 by @SCF

And it has an actual awesome secret fight which I haven't yet beaten. But from the look at the editor it seems that the sole payoff from it is a megasphere that I can take to main level.

What if we were to also link it to a secret exit? We can add it to a secret compartment behind the regular exit, make the same hole but paint it colors to differentiate? I think that would work.

13 hours ago, ViolentBeetle said:

I've made it to MAP22 by @SCF

And it has an actual awesome secret fight which I haven't yet beaten. But from the look at the editor it seems that the sole payoff from it is a megasphere that I can take to main level.

What if we were to also link it to a secret exit? We can add it to a secret compartment behind the regular exit, make the same hole but paint it colors to differentiate? I think that would work.

That's fine with me, but I think it would make more sense to have the secret exit be in the secret arena area. Shall I add it to the map? I can have it done before the end of the week. And I assume you'd move it to slot 15 then? I guess it's not required in MBF21, but since we have a regular 32 map structure it might be confusing to have the secret exit somewhere else.

By the way, the main reward of the secret fight is the BFG. And of course the satisfaction of beating it :)

Yeah, do it as you see fit then. Most players probably won't find the secret fight without the map at the end anyway.

I don't think it's necessary to move it, but we'd have to give a warning that MAP15 isn't the one with a secret exit.

It would restore some sense of surprise into people for discovering it.

So, MAP27 (The scarlet daggers) uses a few sky textures on walls that I think go a little against the the idea of the project (I also unwisely deleted those textures in the previous wad, but that's not the point) - in the arena around the daggers themselves.

Perhaps they should be replaced with solid black color? Or solid red one?

What do you think @Pixel Fiend and everyone else. Is it a significant concern?

41 minutes ago, SCF said:

@ViolentBeetle

DIY_scf_v5.wad

The teleporter at the end of the optional fight now takes you to a secret exit room (you can still return to the regular level).

Excellent.

Good news, I made it to MAP30. Bad news I think MAP30 is way beyond my skill level, even with savescumming. I might have to take someone else's word that it works.

Still need to test MAP31 and MAP32 and prepare proper map name sprites. Hopefully, I will be able to post RC2 tomorrow.

4 minutes ago, ViolentBeetle said:

Good news, I made it to MAP30. Bad news I think MAP30 is way beyond my skill level, even with savescumming. I might have to take someone else's word that it works.

Good news, me and siege cunt replayed the map a bunch, it doesn't seem to have any problems and is ready to go. Well aside from lower difficulties I guess.

Bad news, Map32 is the hardest map in this project and has extremely obnoxious platforming areas.

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply to this thread. My map DOES specifically require the default starry sky. The MIDI is a rendition of "Aquatic Ambience" from Donkey Kong Country. NGL I forgot exactly who it was from. The original file is on my old laptop which isn't working anymore.

6 minutes ago, Skeaze said:

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply to this thread. My map DOES specifically require the default starry sky. The MIDI is a rendition of "Aquatic Ambience" from Donkey Kong Country. NGL I forgot exactly who it was from. The original file is on my old laptop which isn't working anymore.

Thanks, I wrote it down.

@Zadeon @SuperCupcakeTactics @dmdr @Gothic Box @Pixel Fiend

I have noticed your maps don't have difficulty implemented or in latter case - difficulty difference seems very minor. On high-end maps in particular this could be a problem. I unchecked a proportional fraction of your monsters for different difficulties, but if you wish to do it yourself, please send updates.

15 minutes ago, CblBOPOTKA said:

Idk if it was already reported, but map17 has wrong sky after going into teleport (RC1)

Yeah, this one was adressed.

4 hours ago, CblBOPOTKA said:

Also reporting that Muumi's map25 have strange textural pieces in the sky

Yeah, I think something happened to Patch indices so textures moved. I solved that by making new starry sky, it won't be a problem anymore. I just need a few more things before I can release RC2 and probably idgames soon after.

DIY Release Candidate 2!

Link in OP updated.

Fixed all the broken skies (I hope)

Replaced sounds for doors and lifts from Console Doom, like gun sounds were

Cleared names of the mappers from UMAPINFO, because they didn't always fit anyway, and put them on intermission screen, plus added CREDITS.TXT file with their names.

Maps 31 and 32 are now secret maps, accessible from MAP22. Warning about level change will be in readme.

Added full credit and boosback pictures by @Pixel Fiend as well as put correct arrangement of intermission music.

Added difficulty settings to maps that didn't have them. Not particularly thoughtful, just slashing monster count.

Squashed some of the more egregous slime trails, without noticably altering geometry of the level (Rainbow Road most of all)

Controversial, put to contributor vote:

Feeling like players would expect some intermission screens still, I added them. They are short comedic description of your disjointed journey. However, I'm willing to remove them if other contributors feel they are a bad idea.

On 9/23/2022 at 1:24 PM, ViolentBeetle said:

DIY Release Candidate 2!

Link in OP updated.

Does this update include the status bar face fix by any chance? :)

6 hours ago, Napsalm said:

Does this update include the status bar face fix by any chance? :)

It should, if the bug is indeed what I think it is. Not sure how can I test it.

On 9/23/2022 at 1:24 PM, ViolentBeetle said:

DIY Release Candidate 2!

Link in OP updated.

Can happily say I played a bit this afternoon and didn't experience any crashes! :)

So we fixed the game breaking bug. I'll let it sit for some more and then take to idgames.

There's no objection for text screens I guess.

I just realized there's no music for bossback, but I have a midi that might fit very well.

Here's a few very minor visual bugs, playing in dsda.

map 12

Spoiler

doom00.png.ce4d060a62d1e437de4c24dfff53aa16.png

map 25

Spoiler

doom02.png.c6b65887cf0f119ef33f82368a1d58d6.png

Have to say this is very likely my favorite release of the year. Tons of creative and unique maps.

Yeah, unfortunately slime trails are nearly impossible to get rid of. I'm also not sure which part is the problem on the second screenshot.