Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
unerxai

What happened to the ROTT remaster?

Understandable, though I figure not every publisher or rights holder would be nearly as uncaring and petty as nuAtari (who are in a class of their own).

I would probably be presumptuous if I attributed the lack of any information or development updates if I looked towards Destructive Creations then?

I'm being deliberately vague to prevent drama, but the gist is Kaiser is no longer interested in doing another BUILD project.

Well, the engine IS held together with chewed gum (Blood's own devs seemed to have had some frustrations over it), and all the worthwhile games are basically covered on modern systems these days.

36 minutes ago, PsychEyeball said:

Looks like the ROTT Remaster was too much for the Hatred developers. A new version of the game, Rise of The Triad Ludicrous Edition, has now been announced at Realms Deep, spearheaded by New Blood and our friends at NightDive.

Now we know for sure this thing's finally coming out! And COMM-BAT support is in the cards so now I officially can't wait for this to come out (estimated release is early 2023).

Spoiler

Props to whoever put the trailer together - that transition from the original track to Hulshult is just sublime!

It's got the folks you'd expect working on it to varying extents. I said this in my tweet but I'll say it a-goddamn-gain: Huge shoutout to @AlexMax for doing a phenomenal job, going truly above and beyond for this game and who, without, the game would be in nowhere near as good a state as it's currently in. As those in the know might expect, @Kaiser was also instrumental for laying down phenomenal groundwork (and is continuing to do great work). Other usual suspects from our team will likely become more involved with various parts as time goes on. I'm doing the usual for me of various loose odds and ends.

As a port developer I'm interested to see how much of the new content is going to require reverse engineering, or is it all vanilla and/or open source?

1 hour ago, Blzut3 said:

As a port developer I'm interested to see how much of the new content is going to require reverse engineering, or is it all vanilla and/or open source?

No new formats, and all new assets will be packed in the WAD file or in the kpf (zip) as either their original formats or as common formats such as PNGs. At least at the time of writing. We don't exactly like making new tools so we'll make any excuse to have SLADE3 do the job. :V

6 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

No new formats, and all new assets will be packed in the WAD file or in the kpf (zip) as either their original formats or as common formats such as PNGs. At least at the time of writing. We don't exactly like making new tools so we'll make any excuse to have SLADE3 do the job. :V

I expected as much with the resources (although the way ROTT uses WADs is a bit half baked, but I would expect you guys gave things sensible names instead of abusing that for the sake of abusing it).  Was more concerned about bespoke behavior (animation tables, code pointers, etc)/documentation on any new item indexes (guessing the map editor will help with this part at least).  Basically: Am I going to have to map anything out in IDA Pro (which will be harder to do with today's compilers)?

Strife was open source for obvious reasons, off hand I don't think Doom 64 added much if any new behavior, Quake has QuakeC (so relatively probable), so I think this is the first time you guys may be adding stuff to a relevant game (to me) that might largely be opaque?  The new stuff hasn't been enumerated so just guessing of course.

Just now, Blzut3 said:

Was more concerned about bespoke behavior (animation tables, code pointers, etc)/documentation on any new item indexes (guessing the map editor will help with this part at least).  Basically: Am I going to have to map anything out in IDA Pro (which will be harder to do with today's compilers)?

Oh, fair question. Don't know about releasing the source code as a whole, we have commercial third party stuff in Kex (for example, multiplayer services), but honestly individual pieces like the animation tables are easy enough to hand out. Hit myself or @AlexMax up after it's released, and we'll give you what you need.

30 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

Oh, fair question. Don't know about releasing the source code as a whole, we have commercial third party stuff in Kex (for example, multiplayer services), but honestly individual pieces like the animation tables are easy enough to hand out. Hit myself or @AlexMax up after it's released, and we'll give you what you need.

All that stuff is severable from the main base but it would take a lot of work. The real thing is that we probably aren't realistically able to release Kex 4 at this point as it contains our bleeding edge work on Vulkan, async rendering, etc which would be giving away our "secret sauce recipe." I think a Kex 3 release first would be more realistic at some point. I hope we can do that eventually.

Oooooooh, finally! ROTT has been so neglected, it's great to see a good port of this underrated little darling.

Could this port be made to load a "pwad", say I wanted to load in replacement sprites and sound for the MP40 for whatever reason?

8 hours ago, Edward850 said:

Say, Ed, if we have the original, standalone game on Steam (and here I will be assuming the Apogee Throwback Pack will not count), will it receive the free upgrade treatment like Quake did?

Will the restored content include the Triad women guards?

2 hours ago, ZeroTheEro said:

Say, Ed, if we have the original, standalone game on Steam (and here I will be assuming the Apogee Throwback Pack will not count), will it receive the free upgrade treatment like Quake did?

Doubtful, since it's got a new appID so it'll be a separate product. Probably to justify the work being done on it, since it seems to go quite a bit beyond just an updated executable.

Yeah, this remaster is listed on all stores as a separate product without a billion-dollar globomegacorp subsidizing it. There might be an extra discount at launch for people who own the original game, but that's about as much as you can expect.

This looks like exciting news for Rise of the Triad fans indeed! Too bad, despite my best efforts, I could not be one of them... :(

9 hours ago, Gez said:

Will the restored content include the Triad women guards?

First pic suggests that's at least the plan.

13 minutes ago, LuciferSam86 said:

Super sweet , can't wait to play the new version. 

Will the new editor inside the game , or it will be a standalone executable ? 

If it's anything like Powerslave Exhumed, it'll be inside of the game and accessed via a console command.