Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CBM

Toggle switches - when to use them?

Question

I need some advice on ideal situations for using toggle switches (a switch you can toggle back and fourth between on and off) in a doom map.

I was thinking that maybe a door.... like having it raise when the switch is active and then lower when inactive.... so the player walks up to the door... activates the switch and raises the door... walks through and can then just leave the door open or use a switch on the other side of the door to close it again... ?

Or maybe a lift, a switch to make it raise when active and lower when inactive... But if its on the lift itself then it would need to be made so that the lift is the only way down again... otherwise there would need to be a switch at the top and the buttom of the lift to call the lift from both directions... ?

anything else where this kind of on or off toggle switch is usefull?

7 answers to this question

Just thought of something myself as well... maybe conveur belts and security cam monitors?

A classic is to have a room with a circular layout where you need to raise a floor to cross the path you crossed down below in the other direction.

6 hours ago, CBM said:

Just thought of something myself as well... maybe conveur belts and security cam monitors?

Or a crusher. Turn it on to flatten monsters and then off to proceed.

7 hours ago, NeedHealth said:

A classic is to have a room with a circular layout where you need to raise a floor to cross the path you crossed down below in the other direction.

hm, then it would need to be something like needing to switch it on to cross at one point and switch it off to cross at a higher point

3 hours ago, Rifleman said:

Or a crusher. Turn it on to flatten monsters and then off to proceed.

ah yes, thanks

43 minutes ago, CBM said:

hm, then it would need to be something like needing to switch it on to cross at one point and switch it off to cross at a higher point

[...]

I was thinking of the opposite use of the switches actually but basically that, yes.