Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Luleta

32 in 64kb [now on idgames!!!]

This is really wonderful to see! I'm glad my work can inspire others! I will be back once I have completed this megawad!

I had the pleasure of playing through this wad on Ultra-Violence.

For such small maps, the puzzle aspect really shines.

The mapset really relies on the knowledge of certain Vanilla behavior and/or exploits.

However the maps can often have multiple ways to beat them, which is nice for players who may not know about certain Doom Engine quirks.

It's a bit of a shame that CWILV graphics and a TITLEPIC couldn't be added, but the wad is definitely worth a spin!

It was so great being a playtester for this! All the forced countless hours of testing dozens of maps, dying over and over learning new Doom skills...

Ok but for real, a great release! I recommend it for anyone who wants to see creative little fight puzzles and some challenging maps while also having a relatively small time to beat.

Here's FDA's for all of the maps.  I had fun.  These are short and make me feel good at Doom when I beat them.  I say this because I was getting walloped hard by another mapset earlier that I was faceplanting into and was getting burnt out, so this is a good pick-me-up.

noisy_32in64k_rc1_m32.zip

Edited by NoisyVelvet : phrasing more clear

2 hours ago, NoisyVelvet said:

Here's FDA's for all of the maps.  I had fun.  These are short and make me feel good at Doom when I beat them.  I say this because I was getting walloped hard by another mapset earlier that I was faceplanting into and was getting burnt out, so this is a good pick-me-up.

noisy_32in64k_rc1_m32.zip

glad i could assist you! c:

freaking excellent job with all of these btw, you got  almost all the intended solutions super fast! :D

nice job on beating map23 on your first try too!

i loved watching all of these demos, thank you so much! ^^

ps: you are freaking good at doom imo B)

pps: glad you couldn't cheese my maps either :P

Edited by Luleta : added a pps haha pp

These are fun. I've found a couple of issues so far by accidentally having default complevel 9:

* map07: after killing the spiders the slime floor raises above the other floor causing a hom and making the exit inaccessible. 

* map16: the switch for the lava floor is missing a tag making the map impossible to finish.

Both work correctly on complevel 2, but might be worth fixing in case some people forget to set it correctly like I did.

10 hours ago, ryiron said:

These are fun. I've found a couple of issues so far by accidentally having default complevel 9:

* map07: after killing the spiders the slime floor raises above the other floor causing a hom and making the exit inaccessible. 

* map16: the switch for the lava floor is missing a tag making the map impossible to finish.

Both work correctly on complevel 2, but might be worth fixing in case some people forget to set it correctly like I did.

hey glad you had fun, thank you for reporting these, despite being issues that aren't present in vanilla, i figured i fixed them anyways :P

RC2 is here the main post's link has been updated!

but what are the changes??!?!?!

• added a way to prevent softlocks on map07, i made the linedefs that raise with tag 667 be sr lift to prevent soflocks. i also moved the player start to prevent jank.
  • a map16 sector was untagged (so that's why it wasnt working on other complevels... darn)
Spoiler

thanks to @ryiron for reporting these, despite being on the wrong complevel :P

map16 shouldnt have had problems on vanilla but i still wanted to prevent jank, and map07 COULD be soflocked in vanilla by killing both youknowhats together

(SUPER RARE BUT POSSIBLE)

• map20 changed a ";" to a ":" on the automap, woopsie!
  • added a COMPLVL lump to prevent people from forgetting to play on vanilla, aint i the nicest? :3

fixed these issues with only 37 extra bytes :^)

Choosing violence on map24:

Spoiler

I'm curious if this is the intended solution, or if you the idea is to tap the revs on the shoulder one by one and get them in-fighting. The arena is just the right width to get the revs in between their melee and rocket distance, so it's tough to get them to shoot. I assume this is intentional :-).

1 minute ago, ryiron said:

Choosing violence on map24:

Spoiler

that's it chief! c:

its way more fun too, thats the way i beat it when i made it.

the second thing wasnt intentional but sometimes i dont think about these things and kinda get them through experimentation.

i made some of the maps  not really thinking of a solution right away.

sometimes i thought of a solution but i realized another strategy is way more effective and fun. 

i had to figure some of my own maps myself! ^^"

appreciate the spoiler tag btw

Peace was never an option on map26. There's no time for armor.

I'm really enjoying these maps. 

Spoiler

Map27 in 9 seconds with no damage:

Spoiler

You can press in against the cybers to get them wedged, but this method is pretty much just luck based. My first successful attempt was in 9.91, but I took a heap of damage and got rocketed out of the hallway. I tried to get a better run, but kept getting longer times even when taking less damage. Then I got this ridiculous run in sub 10 seconds and without taking damage.

On 7/22/2022 at 11:02 PM, ryiron said:

Map27 in 9 seconds with no damage:

be thankful earlier versions of that level had the blockmap lines right in the middle :^) (that's why there's an out of bounds sector to fix this)

i was actually looking forward for a map28 or map29 max hehe.

ill wait till friday or so to make SURE noone finds any problems and then ill probably upload this wad to idgames so you can make runs for DSDA :D. still don't think i can add much else without going over 64kbs :P

45 minutes ago, Luleta said:

be thankful earlier versions of that level had the blockmap lines right in the middle :^) (that's why there's an out of bounds sector to fix this)

That sounds like a feature, not a bug :-)

I won’t have a chance to play any more of the maps before Friday, but I didn’t find any more issues up to map27. 

1 minute ago, ryiron said:

That sounds like a feature, not a bug :-)

I won’t have a chance to play any more of the maps before Friday, but I didn’t find any more issues up to map27. 

ah i dont have any rush, i just dont want it to go to the pile of wads i did and never released lol.

i suppose i can give it some more time, dunno when's the optimal time to upload, its not like its a huge wad or anything.

Wanted to play it on RC stage but got distracted and forgot, whoops.

Played now - awesome set, gonna do some demos for sure.