Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
meapineapple

Brimstone Institute

Brimstone Institute is a map that sat on my hard drive, mostly finished, for almost two years before I finally got around to wrapping it up and actually releasing it. It's not going to be the most well-balanced map I've released, thanks to an attitude of "just get it out the door, already". But at least it's finally getting out there in the world.

This is a large single-map WAD intended for play in a recent GZDoom release. Explore a multi-level complex containing many different environments to find and eliminate The Boss. This map should be played with dynamic lights and shadowmaps enabled. It depends on DOOM2.WAD. Estimated play time is 30 to 45 minutes.

The WAD includes 16 minutes of OGG audio in four original music tracks that I composed myself.

Download:

Download briminst.2022.07.24 (56 MB) Mirror

Download an older version:

Download briminst.2022.07.21 Mirror

Screenshots:

Spoiler

briminst0.png

briminst4.png

briminst5.png

briminst1.png

briminst6.png

briminst3.png

briminst2.png

Edited by meapineapple : Add version 2022.07.24

1 minute ago, RED77 said:

Hey. The link is broken

It shouldn't be. Can you explain what happens when you try the link?

Avast immediately told me when I clicked on this post that your latest link contained Url:Blacklist, just so you know. Also, the screenshots you posted still dosn't work.

5 minutes ago, NeedHealth said:

Avast immediately t told me when I clicked on this post that your latest link contained Url:Blacklist, just so you know. Also, the screenshots you posted still dosn't work.

How in hell could my little personal website ever have ended up on an Avast blacklist

This is bizarre

Do the links in the post work for you if you replace "https" with "http", by any chance?

Like this: http://files.pineapplemachine.com/public/doom/wads/briminst.2022.07.21.zip

I didn't know people were even still using Avast. Weren't they caught selling everyone's browser history, a while back? It sure sounds like the problem is with Avast, taking issue with my personal website, and not with my website itself. I would like to kindly suggest trying out a different antivirus.

To anyone who is confused or concerned: These are just image and WAD links hosted on my own personal website, so that nobody has to deal with mediafire or megaupload or whatever crappy free upload site people are using these days. As far as I know, you can't get a virus from viewing an image or downloading a WAD. You don't have to worry. Avast is just being very dumb.

I suggest you convert your map's music from OGG to WAV to reduce the filesize, for the people who download your map with slow internet, 56 MB sounds too big for a single map with mostly stock assets.

13 minutes ago, meapineapple said:

I didn't know people were even still using Avast. Weren't they caught selling everyone's browser history, a while back? It sure sounds like the problem is with Avast, taking issue with my personal website, and not with my website itself. I would like to kindly suggest trying out a different antivirus.

I have an antivirus (not Avast) and the screenshots and download link from the OP are perfectly fine except from one screenshot not displaying ("briminst5.png").

23 minutes ago, Hitboi said:

I suggest you convert your map's music from OGG to WAV to reduce the filesize, for the people who download your map with slow internet, 56 MB sounds too big for a single map with mostly stock assets.

I have an antivirus (not Avast) and the screenshots and download link from the OP are perfectly fine except from one screenshot not displaying ("briminst5.png").

Huh, that's odd that the one doesn't work for you. But great that the others are working.

Can you clarify what you mean about converting the music? WAV is an uncompressed audio format, and OGG is a compressed format. The audio files are much smaller in OGG form than they would be as WAV. If there's another kind of conversion you meant, I would consider it. However, I would not want to provide a download entirely without the music, since I feel that it's an important part of the WAD.

Tested on three devices, multiple browsers, no VPN, connecting from UK. Including separate mobile networks. If you want a mirror, DM me the files via discord (Dragonfly#0001) and I can upload them for you to my site.

Just letting you know I have no issues with downloads or screenshots.  Tried last night too and it was fine so not sure what's going on.  I don't really worry about viruses from screenshots and wad files tho (but maybe I should?? :P)

You can upload your files to Doomshack.org, part of the reason I made the site was for situations like this!

I can see the screenshots and they look sweet, by the way. Cool and uncommon to see classical looking stuff with GZDoom as the target port.

8 hours ago, Doomkid said:

You can upload your files to Doomshack.org, part of the reason I made the site was for situations like this!

I can see the screenshots and they look sweet, by the way. Cool and uncommon to see classical looking stuff with GZDoom as the target port.

Aha! Thank you. This is awesome.

The WAD is now also hosted here: https://doomshack.org/uploads/briminst.2022.07.21.zip

14 hours ago, meapineapple said:

Can you clarify what you mean about converting the music? WAV is an uncompressed audio format, and OGG is a compressed format. The audio files are much smaller in OGG form than they would be as WAV. If there's another kind of conversion you meant, I would consider it. However, I would not want to provide a download entirely without the music, since I feel that it's an important part of the WAD.

I didn't know that, what I was trying to say is that the music tracks' filesizes sound too big for a single map that could be under 5 MB or something close to that.

All of the screenshots now work, great. I think we're turning this into a browser/antivirus-related thread :/

33 minutes ago, LadyMistDragon said:

The southeast area with the dirt caverns seems to have some HOMs surrounding the torches.

That's odd. Can you be more specific about where this is happening? And what port are you playing in? In GZDoom 4.8.2 I don't see any HOM effects in the cavern area or anywhere else.

Edit: Whoops, I think I may have found what you were talking about.

The latest GZDoom, yes. Not really but I can say that it's really only visible when you're facing said torches

kyHeBgZ.png