Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CoolerDoomeR

Redneck Rampage Remaster

Not really, to be honest. 

That game really have flaws in aspects of game design and gameplay that would not be like worth the port. 

And also it's play really well with raze soo... 

1 hour ago, D4NUK1 said:

Not really, to be honest. 

That game really have flaws in aspects of game design and gameplay that would not be like worth the port. 

And also it's play really well with raze soo... 

Bruh, it worth the port really good, just see the steam and gog reviews...

Just play it one time, the music, weapons and design are very cool.

It's old school fps from DOS, it's one of the best games of my childhood, you can try it.

2 hours ago, CoolerDoomeR said:

Bruh, it worth the port really good, just see the steam and gog reviews...

Just play it one time, the music, weapons and design are very cool.

It's old school fps from DOS, it's one of the best games of my childhood, you can try it.

I played it. 

Level design it's something from basic to amateurish. 

Some enemy combats are really not that good and later episodes levels are just a slog to play. 

At least in MY Opinion. 

I got tricked again by a thread title. I thought there was a new RR remaster created by Nightdive or some other studio.

4 minutes ago, Artman2004 said:

I got tricked again by a thread title. I

Yeah, it’s weird how often that’s been happening these last few weeks (even if it does happen fairly regularly anyways)

This must be the twin sister of the New Quake thread. C'mon people who post stuff like that, make your topic titles less misleading and more on the point.

image.png.a95c132b0125cbf764ed144606937df2.png

Wow, look at how many new games and remasters are coming out for so many classic franchises!  Such exciting times are these for these definitely real and happening projects

2 hours ago, D4NUK1 said:

Level design it's something from basic to amateurish. 

Basic and amateurish? In your dreams!

I rather believe that the main problem here is that RR didn't care much about any kind of established conventions for map making in FPS games with its sometimes outlandish locations and weird ideas. Some people just don't like that.

You are aware that the first RR game was designed by some highly respected mappers of Doom's early era, aren't you?

It's considered the weakest of Build engine games. While not out of the question, it would be an odd choice to remaster.

On a second thought, there is a Redneck Rampage remaster project -- I nearly forgot about that one:

24 minutes ago, Graf Zahl said:

Basic and amateurish? In your dreams!

I rather believe that the main problem here is that RR didn't care much about any kind of established conventions for map making in FPS games with its sometimes outlandish locations and weird ideas. Some people just don't like that.

You are aware that the first RR game was designed by some highly respected mappers of Doom's early era, aren't you?

I may change my words because I was thinking more of a modern classic fps instead of well... A old fps. Mornings after drinks and I'm really sorry. 

But the level design it's not the more straightforward in comparation with others like shadow Warrior 

RR is a game where you often have to examine the environment to find out where you got to continue. No, sometimes it is not really straightforward, but that's the appeal for those who like it.

2 minutes ago, Graf Zahl said:

RR is a game where you often have to examine the environment to find out where you got to continue. No, sometimes it is not really straightforward, but that's the appeal for those who like it.

The problem lies in the fact that exploration in RR is often completely obtuse. Keys are near-impossible to see and are often in dark places in the original campaign. Not only that, but doors aren't marked, so you have to go around testing every door like a jackass. Talking about the combat would give me a hernia.

I hope the sewers map will have more hidden switches in the remake.

A Redneck Rampage remaster would be good if there were improvements to make the keys more visible, marked doors, and other painstaking issues with the gameplay/design. 

I agree with @Graf Zahl on the matter!

And forgive me please, Duke Nukem lovers - I love DN, but to me, Blood is ultimately the best game on Build engine. Just my opinion, feel free to disagree :) I had a blast playing it together with my husband few years ago. I do have the full RR collection on GOG with all those add-ons, but haven't played it yet... However, I'm very hyped to do that one day when we feel like it.

I still have very fond memories of RR back form the 90's when my dad used to play those games. My deep adoration of RR must stem from nostalgia...

Yet, even closer on the subject of the topic itself: I think there's not gonna be a remake any time soon. As far as I know, they brought it back to Steam and GOG just a few years back, and considering there seem to be not very many people who like this game nowadays... Not gonna happen, I guess.

(On the other hand, Powerslave got a remake of sorts not long ago, so who knows?)

Everything about Redneck Rampage other than its atmosphere/art design and soundtrack is irritating. The combat sucks, navigation sucks, most of the humor is on par with a couple of drunk dudes talking about Larry the Cable Guy, and some of the design choices that were made are flat-out stupid. It's nowhere near being on par with Duke, Blood, or Shadow Warrior. In order for a "remaster" to succeed, it would need to make some serious adjustments to the game overall. My personal ranking of the Build games is Blood>>>>>>>Duke>>Shadow Warrior>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>³Redneck Rampage (I actually like SW a little more than Duke personally, but Duke is probably the better game).

To answer your question, no, there probably won't be an official remaster. Not just because the game is bad, but because developers usually count on their products selling more than 200 copies.

Also, as others have said, let's please give the clickbait a rest. It's not that hard to add a question mark to the end of a thread title to let people know you're asking, instead of announcing, something.

Edited by TheMagicMushroomMan

4 hours ago, LadyMistDragon said:

It's considered the weakest of Build engine games. While not out of the question, it would be an odd choice to remaster.

You mean Tekwar isn’t considered that? Not even Extreme Paintball?

5 hours ago, Graf Zahl said:

One of whom still posts on Doomworld.

Ive never played RR, the theme is a bit hard to get into. Everyime it goes on sale on Gog I think about buying it, and always go 'ehhhhhh'

Redneck Rampage's level design always seemed contentious to me. I've never played it, but discussions often get heated (and I've seen a lot of them), and the impression I get is that the expansions are mostly a lot better. Apparently it's the same team which also made Return To Castle Wolfenstein, so even if RR had a lot of roughness in parts, it seems they rose and improved a lot from that.

9 hours ago, LadyMistDragon said:

I think the weakest Build engine games are NAM and World War GI 2

8 hours ago, Sr_Ludicolo said:

The problem lies in the fact that exploration in RR is often completely obtuse. Keys are near-impossible to see and are often in dark places in the original campaign. Not only that, but doors aren't marked, so you have to go around testing every door like a jackass. Talking about the combat would give me a hernia.

Dude, i completed this game when i was 10, in only 2 weeks, also these years there are many walkthroughs that you can watch.

While NAM is pretty shit, the worst (released) game is TekWar. I've never seen a game with such fundamentally broken gameplay.

Witchaven 2 isn't much better either.

Bought this on gog a while ago after I tried Blood (somehow missed that one back in the day), it's really not that great. The musics pretty good but think it just repeats 10 or so tracks so gets old. The maps were boring and combat uninteresting, though the graphics are pretty good, can't see how a remaster would improve anything that's actually wrong with it. Blood on the other hand is very good, actually better I thought than Duke or Shadow.

4 hours ago, CoolerDoomeR said:

Dude, i completed this game when i was 10, in only 2 weeks, also these years there are many walkthroughs that you can watch.

I still shouldn't have to open up my browser and look up redneck rampage walkthroughs just to complete the game.

the cleaner redneck rampage would look (in terms of its assets, sprites mostly), the nastier it would be. best thing that could be done for that game is higher-viz keys, like make em brass and a leelte bit bigger er somethin

4 hours ago, Graf Zahl said:

While NAM is pretty shit, the worst (released) game is TekWar. I've never seen a game with such fundamentally broken gameplay.

Witchaven 2 isn't much better either.

You should play WWII GI some day. It makes NAM look like a masterpiece in comparison. It was made by the same devs but they somehow doubled down on the worst gameplay decisions that NAM did and made everything worse.

Whether WWII GI is worse than TekWar is probably not for debate. At least WWII GI didn't try to give me a seizure.