Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mr Masker

The game you want to make/be made, that can't

I always wanted a modernised spiritual successor to Barbarian. I thought the instant death concept was underused in versus fighting games.

6 hours ago, Lippeth said:

I'm sure it can be made, just not by me, and even if it were to be made, it would never sell. A modern single player Hexen or Heretic styled game, not as abstract as Amid Evil or as unpolished as Graven. Something with the more "realistic" weapons like hammers, axes, maces and crossbows with no-nonsense visceral combat and cryptic level design. No upgrade trees, collectibles, objective icons, open worlds, or arduous front loaded cut-scenes with exposition and lore. The closest thing I played like this was Hellraid, an expansion for Dying Light which was really fun, but it's very short and I can only play it so many times before wanting more levels and just more in general. A medieval dark fantasy with atmospheric levels and brutal monsters. Almost like a first person Dark Souls but without the emphasis on stats and rpg mechanics. Anyway, that was fun to think about.

Have you ever checked out Arthurian Legends or Elderborn on Steam. Arthurian Legends is pretty much a build engine( but not) Heretic type game, it's a little more realistic but still has fantasy monsters and magic. Elderborn is dark fantasy, first person dark souls, similar combat to Dark Messiah of Might and Magic which you should also check out if you've never played it.

As for games I'd like but will never be made, Prey 2 based on the original not the reboot and without the stupid die/return where you died mechanic. I was blown away with the art style of the original, so inventive, where later the whole map unfolded around you as you walked.

im still trying to work out what still satisfies me in gaming tbh. i love seeing other people's creations in engines we thought'd been sucked dry so the game'd have to involve a world that can be rearranged and reprogrammed to some extent, without going as far as that being the main gimmick ala minecraft or a zachtronics thing.

what im working on is an RPG where levelling up takes more time than fighting does

Super Mario Bros 4 on the NES, different to Super Mario World.

Doom III but uses the original Doom engine, introduces about 10 new monsters and some new weapons, powerups, etc.

3 hours ago, pcorf said:

Doom III but uses the original Doom engine, introduces about 10 new monsters and some new weapons, powerups, etc.

I am surprised that a mapper as talented as you would consider himself incapable of making it.

Not that I am saying that you have to, as it would be a considerable undertaking, but after playing several mapsets of yours (currently going through Death Tormention), I can absolutely see you pulling it off! :D

A Hexen reboot / sequel in the vein of Doom 4 and Eternal. Keeps the leveling and inventory system of Hexen 2 while expanding on it, maybe with a Morrowind like interface. Keep some of the first person shooter elements but also have really fleshed out melee and magic combat systems. Bring back like all of the enemies across Heretic, Hexen, and Hexen 2. Have a solid narrative, though preferably no cutscenes. Oh and boss fights. 

Many years ago while playing Prototype 2 I was dreaming about an online version of ArmA that would be similar to a PS3-exclusive game called MAG but with the realism of ArmA series and woth the epic destruction physics from Red Faction: Guerrilla.

Recently I got into For Honor, scowling around I found some old 2015 per-rendered gameplay (yes, you read that right) which showed a much more grounded concept, less cartoony than the final product and arguably better in my opinion (not that I hate the what we got) the concept I loved about it was the customization.

Unlike For Honor's retail version this proof of concept had no classes like the actual game but you could create your own.

i'm not necessarily interested in the game itself, more rather--what can be done with it. as i've grown older i'm less entertained by playing games & more fascinated by creating things with it, this ideal game would essentially be open source with a base that's solid enough by itself to be fun while being completely inter-changeable with anything you desire. doom is the closest thing to this to this very day & i have to admit that it's probably the only one of it's kind, from now to infinity.

Doom is a very special case as it's gameplay loop & balance is enjoyable decades after it's launch & the fact that it was made in an era where technology was so primitive has made it exceedingly easy to learn it's tools and create things with it. modern games will never have this opportunity, it's a standard that every game must be loaded with high-poly models & other expensive resources. short term this may make the game look appealing to most audiences, the downside is that the bar to modify the game will be  so high to the point where you'd need an entire career in Blender to make a model that matches the technical quality of the game--assuming the game even allows you to modify it at all. don't get me started on modern level editors because i could rant on that for a while. they either won't allow any sort of map editor or they'll give you a toy bucket with a disappointing shallow & superficial module-based editor like the doom snapmap. 

A Fire Emblem-esque tactical RPG, except it takes place in the Three Kingdoms period of Chinese history and focuses on the East Wu faction. Most adaptations of the period focus on the Shu or Wei factions, and while I'm not gonna get too far into it, I find the stories of the leaders of Wu to be more compelling and have way more potential for character-based plotlines.

As for why I'm not creating it: the art. I would need to have unique looking portraits for upwards of 200 historical characters to tell the story I want to tell, not including generic NPCs like shopkeepers or soldiers and stuff, and while most of those characters wouldn't need anything else unique, I'd still need to do things like create sprite animations for battlefield units, create tilsets for world maps, etc, and none of these are things I have any real skill in. Can I edit an existing sprite to look the way I want it? Heck yes. Can I draw one from scratch? Nope.

Hah, nice try, Marketing Research Foot Soldier. You'll not get my trillion-dollar ideas or precious bodily fluids! Not without agreeing to my consultation rates, anyway.

24 minutes ago, Kinsie said:

Hah, nice try, Marketing Research Foot Soldier. You'll not get my trillion-dollar ideas or precious bodily fluids! Not without agreeing to my consultation rates, anyway.

I don't know what you're talking about. I am not a Foot Soilder, I am a human being, like you.

(damn it foiled again)

I've always imagined D&D like fantasy campaigns being translated over to the PC in video game form, but not just like Baldur's Gate, the Pathfinder games or DOS2 (or any other CRPG) - no, I'm thinking more along the line of a super smart DM/GM AI capable of learning world building with randomly generated worlds and stories.

I'm not talking about random generation in the sense that we know it (some variation between predefined worlds) - I'm talking about an AI that has the ability to learn and evolve its creativity, making endless worlds for you to campaign in - imagine if every single AI generated world/lore/story was as dynamic, rich and creative as hand-crafted experiences (think Dwarf Fortress world generation, but even more random in the way of its structure, its cultures and races inhabiting it).

That would effectively mean infinite possibilities and it would probably be a game that you could, quite literally, play forever and never get bored of - I'm not sure it would even be classified as a singular game, since at that point it's basically just a "CRPG generator", a "PnP RPG generator" or just a "world building and adventure simulator" using AI technology.

Just imagine, every time you start a campaign in that game, you would get your own personal story, that no one in a billion years would experience again (literally).

Of course, we'll never live to see this kind of game, and it's not far fetched to say that a concept that advanced won't ever actually be turned into reality.

I really want Total War: Warhammer 40K or something similar.

There hasn't been a particularly good RTS for 40K for a while (plenty of good turn based though), Dawn of War 3 was one hell of a death knell for it and the original Dawn of War/Dawn of War 2 are great but they just don't have the ability to capture the massive scale battles like Total War can without mods (and then they can't handle it, 4fps battles are not enjoyable).

I would genuinely love a game like that, it definitely can be done but it just wont be done.

Another one would be a good FPS for 40K, they're apparently impossible to make too, Space Hulk: Deathwing was fun but it's so incredibly flawed it takes me well out of it, Necromunda: Hired Gun is very mid as well, it is serviceable but the jank levels are astronomical, Darktide and maybe Boltgun might just pull it off but I am cautious about them.

If anything as well I'd like it to be a game based around the Xenos factions for once (Fire Warrior needs not mentioning, I'm convinced that they shipped an alpha version by mistake), I might be biased but an Eldar, Orc or Tau (again, not Fire Warrior) shooter could be very interesting (and be a great excuse for it not to be about fucking Ultramarines or Blood Angels).

I can imagine a 40K Total War getting me to finally try the series proper. (Total War I mean)

I'm holding out hope that Boltgun and/or Darktide turn out to be good. I agree that Hired Gun was sorta meh, like Doom Eternal but with barely any of the smooth controls and a wierd gear system thing that feels just... unnatural and not fun to use.

Edited by Mr Masker

I really want a new Thief game in the style of the first two, but with an updated engine, graphics, improved AI, and Stephen Russel back to voice Garret. 

This probably will never happen though since Eidos owns the license and has done nothing with it since the awful reboot in 2014.

3 hours ago, Grillsen said:

I really want a new Thief game in the style of the first two, but with an updated engine, graphics, improved AI, and Stephen Russel back to voice Garret. 

This probably will never happen though since Eidos owns the license and has done nothing with it since the awful reboot in 2014.

The closest thing we have to this is the Dark Mod, which I highly recommend. 

As much as I like Quake II, I would like to see "Quake 2", a direct sequel to the original Quake.

And, while we are at it, a Wolfenstein 3D sequel done in Classic Doom style.

Oh yeah, and Heretic II done in Heretic 1 style.

New resident evil and tomb raider games with the old playstation graphics and controls.

An Id tech 1 RTS functionally similar to C&C Red Alert 2 and to a lesser degree Warcraft III (mostly damage types, auto-cast spells, mercenary camps and hero units) Also elaborated underground missions a la X-COM UFO Defense' base defense/alien base assault missions.

The Main Factions: 

• Strife's Order of the One God.
  • Doom's UAC.
  • Doom's Hell.
  • Heretic's Order of the Trident Cross.
  • Hexen's Korax' Domain. 

Sub Factions:

• Strife's Front.
  • Earth: Civilians, Mercenaries, Police.
  • Hell: Wolf 3D Nazis, Zombified "Non-UAC" Humans.
  • Parthoris: Sidhe Elves.
  • Hexen Rebels: Legionaries, Priests, and Mages.

Heroes: 

• Obviously the Protagonists of every game listed on the good side.
  • On the evil side the final bosses of each game should suffice, bar Doom which should have a custom Icon of Sin monster.
  • No heroes on the Earth and Hell sub factions.

Superweapons:

• UAC: 1) Tactical Nuke and 2) Mass Invulnerability Replicator: Functionally Red Alert's Iron Curtain but for all ground units not just vehicles.
  • Hell: 1) Resurrection Curse: Revives ground non-Hell biological units as zombie versions of themselves. 2) Blood Drive: Basically temporary AoE fast monsters.
  • Strife's Order: 1) Mass Conversion: Releases a toxic cloud of the One God's virus to instantly turn biological units into followers at the cost of sapping HP 2) Inquisition: Temporarily boosts infantry unit production.
  • Heretic: 1) Maelstrom: Lowers enemy unit production. 2) Hell's Maw: Volcano that destroys buildings and burnd anything with lava and summons Weredragons and Sabreclaws with limited lifespan.
  • Hexen: 1) Hex: mass debuff of enemy units' armor, attack and speed. 2) Mana Bomb: Temporarily disables enemy buildings and cancels research.

And that's it, maybe someday i would learn programming, refine my art skills to get this pipe dream of a project a reality most likely it will never happen.

1 hour ago, DannyMan said:

Operation Body Count remake that really takes place in 2012.

now THERE'S an idea.

Lately I've been very interested in fighting games. It's very fun to learn them, and especially playing them with friends. I tend to think what specific franchises would work well on a fighting game style, and I have even imagined original characters and worlds, imagined game mechanics such as how would supers work, parry mechanics and some original assist systems, etc. Besides my OCs, I would really enjoy a fighting game based on Team Fortress 2. The idea sounds so silly and fun to mess with, TF2 has a huge number of guns and playstyles, and the merc classes themselves are very varied and fun, it would work like a charm.

Besides that, my dream game which I'd love to develop would probably be an FPS, not story focused at all, but rather focused on exploration and very, very surreal worlds and characters. I'm enjoying the current revival of fun FPS gaming, and since there are so many right now, my idea wouldn't stick out at all. I would still like to make it one day, though...