Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mr Masker

The game you want to make/be made, that can't

Redneck Rampage: The Next Generation

It would really be interesting how such a setting would look with modern render tech.

I'd want to make an RPG where it's actually difficult to be the good guy. One where being morally upright has consequences, where saving the world means making the game harder for yourself. One that might tempt you into crime because you're struggling to pay rent, or look the other way when you see bandits accosting someone because you don't think you can take them. I want a game where if you choose to be the hero, you have to fucking earn it.

I would love an expansion to Arx Fatalis using the original game engine or a sequel using the original game engine.   Nothing fancy, just more of it.

A fully 3d open large scaled Rampage reboot where you play as giant monsters and fuck up buildings and throw cars at your friends and eat people.

It's all I need.

Thunder Force VII. Make it 2D pixel art like the 16-bit games. Bring back Takeshi Yoshida for the soundtrack.

Cuphead 2. The first game was nigh-on perfect, the single biggest improvement I can think of is to add in actual shmup levels in addition to the run'n'gun stages.

NFS: Most Wanted 2005 3 (Carbon was 2 for anyone wondering).

Road Rash, but it's Most Wanted 2005 with bikes.

Super Phantom Menace. Pod-racing in Mode 7. Now that I've suggested it, you want it too.

Super Smash Bros, except it's Tekken.

You know what I would actually like?

Volition (is it still Volition?) to sack up and actually try to piece together a functional and playable, maybe even go so crazy as to remaster, Saints Row 2 for the PC.

In recent memory they found the source code again, I'd pay full retail for a remaster/working version of that game for PC no question.

It is a monumental task that is absurd and has no monetary gain but it'd be nice.

-

TimeSplitters, I wish something would be done with it, the IP keeps changing hands to people "who have plans for it" but nothing happens, if it does it's either real hush-hush or for some reason hidden in Homefront 2 behind a cheatcode (my mind was blown when I was told about that).

14 hours ago, MrFlibble said:

@whybmonotacrab, you might want to take a look at Eador: Genesis if you haven't already.

I haven't heard of this game, but I will give it a look! There are some games that toy with this idea. Piranha Bytes stuff plays into this at times, as does Outward, Sekiro, and Kingdom Come: Deliverance. I just want something that dives head first into this idea since being good in a game is usually the easiest option which makes it feel kind of empty. Most people also aren't inherently heroes or villains, they're products of circumstance, and it'd be cool for a game to recognise that.

14 hours ago, mrthejoshmon said:

You know what I would actually like?

Volition (is it still Volition?) to sack up and actually try to piece together a functional and playable, maybe even go so crazy as to remaster, Saints Row 2 for the PC.

In recent memory they found the source code again, I'd pay full retail for a remaster/working version of that game for PC no question.

It is a monumental task that is absurd and has no monetary gain but it'd be nice.

IIRC they did state publicly that this was happening, but that was before IdolNinja passed away. Pretty sure the project is in limbo atm.

19 minutes ago, scalliano said:

IIRC they did state publicly that this was happening, but that was before IdolNinja passed away. Pretty sure the project is in limbo atm.

I thought so, I heard about the passing of IdolNinja (who I believe was the guy independently working on patching the game back together before the source was found and also after it was found?) and it was awful to hear (always is terrible to hear about one's passing, RIP), hopefully they finally achieve it and his work goes on but I assumed it was the end of the project for now.

8 hours ago, whybmonotacrab said:

I haven't heard of this game, but I will give it a look! There are some games that toy with this idea. Piranha Bytes stuff plays into this at times, as does Outward, Sekiro, and Kingdom Come: Deliverance. I just want something that dives head first into this idea since being good in a game is usually the easiest option which makes it feel kind of empty. Most people also aren't inherently heroes or villains, they're products of circumstance, and it'd be cool for a game to recognise that.

Eador is technically a fantasy TBS but it leans heavily into RPG territory. It keeps track of the player's moral choices, and most of the time the good ones will require additional expenditures and/or other efforts, and might sometimes be not affordable at all. The player's moral profile directly affects what kind of characters and creatures will join your kingdom and their morale, alliances with neutral factions and the attitude of rival AI rulers.

Being bad/nasty/evil may offer immediate benefits like more income and better items, but will have its price later in the game.

Sorry to be the finger-wagging dad in the room, but go code. Anybody can do it. You just have to DO it.

Do we have a good thread on DW for people who are curious about getting into programming? Resources, tips, etc?

The real limits, as I see them are:

- IP

- Production Values

- Player Base

- Technology

The first two I don't care about at all, though there are difficult situations that can crop up like with the royalties on Vice City's soundtrack (what a tragedy!)

But if I could magically create playerbase and technology, I'd want some kind of massive Total War type game where battles play out at true historical scale, where every individual soldier has a complex psychological and physical simulation and this gives rise to emergent crowd dynamics, and you can have any number of players acting as officers at all levels or individual soldiers, trying to coordinate strategies in spite of realistic fog-of-war conditions.

You could also wish for something really wacky like wanting the windows of a high-rise building to be the pixels for the world's largest Tetris match.

Technology? That's kind of a vague word to use. A game might as well be a lump of code that loads some files, and puts them on the screen, or blasts them through your speakers, reacts to user input, etc etc.

A player base, on the other hand, can be harder to get, but there are ways to divulge your work in the Internet of today.

There are indie games that pop up all the time, and many people shop for interesting indie games to play, better yet if it's divulged in a platform like Twitter or Mastodon so it doesn't need to be "upvoted" to reach an audience... or even on a suitable subreddit (where if I recall correctly, visibility is upvotes divided by post age?) so it can more easily reach a more sizable — and slightly more like-minded — audience.

2 hours ago, Aaron Blain said:

Sorry to be the finger-wagging dad in the room, but go code. Anybody can do it. You just have to DO it.

Do we have a good thread on DW for people who are curious about getting into programming? Resources, tips, etc?

- IP

- Production Values

- Player Base

- Technology

No, this is a ridiculous thing to say. The real limits are time and resources. Most people don't have the time or money to just drop everything and learn to code, or spend 5 years making their dream game. People have jobs, schooling, expenses, children, and other responsibilities. Not to mention that being a game dev either involves you being able to do many things - art, music, level design, programming, just to name a few - or it involves paying other people to do those jobs for you. 

It's not as simple as just doing it. Most people simply can't due to real life demands.

3 hours ago, Aaron Blain said:

- IP

- Production Values

- Player Base

- Technology

The first two I don't care about at all, though there are difficult situations that can crop up like with the royalties on Vice City's soundtrack (what a tragedy!)

But if I could magically create playerbase and technology, I'd want some kind of massive Total War type game where battles play out at true historical scale, where every individual soldier has a complex psychological and physical simulation and this gives rise to emergent crowd dynamics, and you can have any number of players acting as officers at all levels or individual soldiers, trying to coordinate strategies in spite of realistic fog-of-war conditions.

You could also wish for something really wacky like wanting the windows of a high-rise building to be the pixels for the world's largest Tetris match.

Ah yes, "learn to code," and other dumb arguments.

I spent two years in high school learning to code. All of it a waste of time. I struggled from day one all the way to my final exams. It was a miracle I passed at all. And I'll tell you why: not everyone has the ability to code, because it requires a way of thinking that not everyone can do. And let me tell you, my ADHD ass was not ready for that shit.

Batman Beyond. 

Yes, I do want yet another Arkham but in a somewhat different setting. The costumes for City and Knight don't quite do it for me. 

2 hours ago, whybmonotacrab said:

The real limits are time and resources.

That's part of what I mean by production values. A handful of people can make something of the right scope very easily nowadays, however.

5 hours ago, Aaron Blain said:

That's part of what I mean by production values. A handful of people can make something of the right scope very easily nowadays, however.

That "Very easily" is extremely relative. I mean making a damn Doom level can take dozens of hours and half of that is literally just drawing lines. Making a game involves learning an engine, getting a team together, drawing up a design document, making music and art, marketing the game, polishing the game, testing the game, and spending YEARS of your life on it. Most people can't do that. Just because it's easier than it used to be doesn't make it easy.

On 7/24/2022 at 12:02 AM, pyborg said:

A Super Smash Bros type game, except it's a FPS with various FPS characters (Doomguy, Duke Nukem, Serious Sam, etc.).

Quake 3 or Unreal Tournament with Skins and Models :>

You can have Sailor Moon, Pikachu, Agent Smith and Bender fight each other in a Lego Arena.

On 7/31/2022 at 2:37 AM, Aaron Blain said:

- IP

- Production Values

- Player Base

- Technology

What do you mean by technology being a limit? Creating the game IS creating a technology... That's precisely why it is so hard to make games, and, once again, that's exactly why just "anybody" can't do it. For me personally it's my intelligence that is a limiting factor. Simply put I am too stupid to create the game I'd like to make. The time, money and everything else is secondary.

Edited by PKr

It's pretty easy to think of a videogame that is impossible either with currently available technology, or even beyond what the laws of physics will ever allow computers to do given the constraints of how we currently understand them to work. The classic example -- give me a game of chess with an ai opponent that plays absolutely perfectly. It's theoretically possible but computationally intractable.

Oh, I thought of another way that a game would be unable to exist: if it uses real-world data that would be impermissible for some reason such as infringing on privacy. We could probably think of some Pokemon Go type games that wouldn't work for privacy reasons.

The folks at Bethesda or whatever aren't genetically superior, they just put in a lot of hours. Personally, what I want in a videogame is not millions of labor-hours'-worth of knickknacks and background junk and unlockable outfits painstakingly modeled by armies of artists. I'd much rather play any wonky but creative stuff any of you guys might cobble together in Unity or Godot.

16 hours ago, whybmonotacrab said:

Not to mention that being a game dev either involves you being able to do many things - art, music, level design, programming, just to name a few - or it involves paying other people to do those jobs for you.

I can do many of these things and I have the free time, but I lack the motivation, and I often bite more than I can chew.

I always open source my stuff, so maybe I should invite someone, or something...

16 hours ago, june gloom said:

I spent two years in high school learning to code. All of it a waste of time. I struggled from day one all the way to my final exams. It was a miracle I passed at all. And I'll tell you why: not everyone has the ability to code, because it requires a way of thinking that not everyone can do. And let me tell you, my ADHD ass was not ready for that shit.

I don't think everyone should have to learn to code. But at the same time, I don't think people are born different.

People are raised differently, to different opportunities and to different backgrounds, to families and circumstances with different customs, learning throughout their childhood different interests and trajectories.

I have ADHD and high-functioning autism, and I grew up in front of computers ever since I was 5. And even still, for each thing I know how to do today, be it programming or music or whatever, it was a long trajectory from thinking I'd never be able to do it, to achieving something.

I think everyone is capable of doing anything. People just have different predispositions, not as a result of who they are, but what they became in their own life trajectory; so they may need different amounts of dedication and learning to achieve the same goals.

Either way, school just sucks at teaching things. I don't blame you. I learned next to nothing in 9 years of primary school and 3 of high school — and mind you, the Brazilian curriculum actually has pedagogical provisions.

It's much better to go after something yourself, to try to discover things on your own.

Sadly, I can't teach you how to teach yourself. That is an innate faculty of the human, eroded by modern society, just as the human's desire to labour, to share, and to be oneself.

You haven't lost it. No one has. But it's a joy you'll have to rediscover, rekindle.

Figure something you want to learn, and instead of looking for a course to guide you through it, dive head-first. Collect some learning resources, but no step-by-step guides; except maybe for a glossary to know the lingua franca of this new world.

If you're going to use a digital program, download and install it. Then, fiddle, fiddle, and fiddle. Maybe learn the very basics with a tutorial (especially if it's an unintuitive program), but always try to experiment, and see what results you get. At some point you'll have to figure how to cobble all these little tidbits together, of course, but an idea of how to do this might already have come together organically after a number of your little expeditions.

And never assess how good or bad you were. If you learned something new, and enjoyed it, you couldn't have been doing better. :)

Oh, and, never underestimate the power of online social spaces (like IRC channels) in learning something! Great people there have helped me quite a bit along the way :D

@Aaron Blain Well, I mean, you say everybody can code, and then you say it's impossible to create something with a current technology...

Then bend the technology to your will, find the way around the limitations, brute force the problem until your game will become a new technology. Or go insane trying.

At least that's how I see it, and that's why I think not everybody can code. I am 100% sure I would fail at making an unbeatable chess ai (hell, I would struggle creating a chess game with beatable ai, let alone unbeatable), and that would be a question of my intelligence, not just "technology limitations".

6 hours ago, Aaron Blain said:

I'd much rather play any wonky but creative stuff any of you guys might cobble together in Unity or Godot.

I mean yeah, I agree with this part. I spend a decent amount of time on itch.io and there's some really good shit on there. You often stumble upon stuff that gets picked up a few years later, so it was cool stumbling upon stuff like Ultrakill, Effigy, and Anger Foot before they got picked up by a publisher. I'm starting to prefer that over big steam games because there's so much more personality on display in a smaller project.

I mainly just took issue with you coming into a room of people sharing their gaming dreams and having you say "just get off your lazy ass and make it" like everyone's just some kid who never thought to give it a shot.

58 minutes ago, anon said:

Remaking the entire usa will make the file size massive lmao. Might as well try to at least keep me occupied lol.

It'll also probably be impossible unless you manually list, and then visit to map out, every single square kilometre of that forsaken country. :P

9 minutes ago, wallabra said:

It'll also probably be impossible unless you manually list, and then visit to map out, every single square kilometre of that forsaken country. :P

meh I'll just find popular cities on google maps screenshot them then remake them and try to connect them to make a faux usa!