Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gore

If you could make a "Doom game", what would it be and why?

I'd canonise RAGE and have the Hell On Earth bits take place in a Mad Max-style desert wasteland. Because I love that shit, and it's neat how Wolfenstein RPG joined Wolfie and DOOM, so...

I'd start by making a very solid boomer shooter with simple and appealing graphics.  Then I'd make it a platform for user-created content, including software for creating mods and maps that gamifies the process, i.e. have tutorials or even a mod/map-making campaign to on-board new creators.

Building the community into the game experience would also be a major goal.  Having a single application that includes single-player, multi-player, forums/live chat, mods, maps, editing software, and maybe even lobbies where large numbers of players could hang out and frag each other.

I think something like that would be the only way to out-do the classic Doom games.  The idea would be to start with a strong vanilla experience but then hand control to the players with hopes that they would make the vanilla game obsolete eventually through continuous improvement.

As for the story and core game, I'd like a vague, hell-focused plot that is there in service of the aesthetic.  The gameplay can be similar to Quake or Dusk, focusing more on nailing the feel than reinventing the wheel.

Doom, but full 3D, with more weapons and enemies, alt-fires, usable inventory items, more verticality in levels, more interesting mechanics like swimming, hacking, and maybe some basic parkour.

There should also be more resource management encouraging use of other weapons, rather than using the same gun for the entire game. The tone of the game should be darker and nightmarish, but still be an action game at heart. 

Maybe there could be more of a story focus? Maybe in the form of terminal entries or friendly characters.

22 hours ago, Chezza said:

I could see this happening except mechanics would have to disappear in favour of new ones (which isn't something I've really seen before).

E.g. you're more grounded and can take cover, need to reload, apply health, take fall damage etc.

Narrative wise you start unlocking super natural abilities and gradually become the Doom Slayer. As you play, you unlock faster running, no fall damage, double jump, glory kill healing, more weapon capacity, unique mods / powers that enable you to pounce distances or teleport (at this point cover mechanic is no longer present).

If done right, with great pacing I can see it being very cool. Actually could work in the idea I had in my previous post about optionally accepting powerful boons from Hell energy but with consequences.

This is pretty much what I had in mind, but didn't have the time to put it down 

Hmmm,

maybe something in the style of the "old" Doom 4.

Of course with a first-person view, with some doom 3 vibes.

Like a natural evolution from Doom 3, with a better shotgun :P

I would want HD textures, full 3D models, dynamic lighting, classic Doom. Basically modern graphics. No mechanics are changed at all just an aesthetic overhaul of complevel 2, 3 4, 9 gameplay and maybe even demo compatibility 

A game about being an average solider during the hell invasion would be neat (doom4) but  thinking more like odst 

Doom 3 with modern Doom Eternal mechanics. So weapons malfunction and possibly blow up in your face. Demons try to glory kill you. You have weak points demons can target and you are given different modes of playing. For example if your leg is shot you either have a gait or you need to crawl. You'll also need to bandage yourself a la Cthulhu Dark Corners of the Earth style. And new added demons are a blend of Quake 1 and Doom 3 in addition to all of them (D3 + Quake 1 creatures) being in the game (with most Quake enemies being Doom3-ified).

You're a UAC scientist looking after different demons in a controlled facility, like a tamagochi. 

I'd make it into a horror action game like metro exodus... it's not like I don't like fast paced action running and gunning all the demons, I think a doom game where you aren't doomguy, you're just a random marine trying to survive would be very interesting, basically, a doom game with the gameplay style of metro Exodus or resident evil 7, with a doom 64 or doom 3 vibe, and strangely I'd add a feature of the guy you're playing as getting too scared/traumatized, which can drive him insane and can cause less accuracy with guns / slower movement

and to avoid this, you have to pick your fights wisely, like scorn or something.

I'd make one inspired by retrofuturism of the 1950s. I'd use some of those old sci-fi monsters (Invasion of the Saucer Men, Attack of the Giant Leeches) as the enemies and add some new weapons. I'd also probably make the maps be less linear and let doomguy explore them a lot more instead of being guided towards the exit. 

Doom Wars Enemy Territory!!!

I would kill for a game similar to Quake Wars but with the ARC and the UAC fighting before and after the demonic invasion of earth. 

I think the Human aspect of the new doom games are missing so just having a game focusing on that would be cool.

I think graphically I'd do what Psx Doom did with the fancy lighting and atmosphere as well as the sound effects. I also probably add more weapons items and enemy types. Maybe something along the lines of "Doom but if it was a lot more atmospheric in general". Giving something like Doom 2 a new coat paint. Maybe wouldnt do well in todays market but thats my ideal Doom game

A metroidvania survival horror game. You have to slowly fight through the UAC facility to reclaim it and rescue marines and scientists. Marines serve to scout other areas or guard established points. Scientists will give you tools and items to help counter enemies. Enemies will invade any area that isn't populated and will restock their units through portals. You will always have limited resources while the demons are virtually unlimited.