Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DeNA

would a slow song work in doom levels...?

[insert title here] as in map08 but less human noize... idk...

i'm mostly asking for songs like this "ice-pyramid-heart-of-icegrave-modded" in bpm i guess

really looking for what you guys think could fit into some maps

also, calm ones as well. the one i posted as an e.g. is perfect for what i'm thinking

but so far everything here recommended is Amazing! thx guys

Edited by not shion : calm songs is something i didn't think about so i added that here

Depends on the gameplay. Fast paced action and intense maps usually play better with fast music IMO. Slow, atmospheric and puzzle driven maps would benefit from slow music. Ultimately, it's your choice though. Whatever you're going for. 

Of course it would, like @PeterMoro said it all depend on the gameplay you're aiming for. I usually "default" to fast music because it's my preference but occasionally I'll want a slower sounding MIDI.

The stats screen/intermission screen/MAP31 music from TNT Evilution is a perfect example that works and also one of my go-to for slower MIDI.

Depends on how slow you’re going for. @Shanoa provided what may be my favorite example.

Recently Back to Saturn X 2’s Lost City has been stuck in my head lately. Very soothing jam, and the level it’s from (Dirty Water) is great as well.

Slow songs can work even for action-packed levels. The sound design in Doom leaves way more wiggle room for the music than you'd think. Large hordes that you might expect from a fast-paced level make frequent enough sound that the music doesn't need to be busy.

well i think that's all the info i need, thanks for the POV guys

1 hour ago, Piper Maru said:

Suspense from E1M5 is pretty good.

agreed

I definitely recommend Map12: Darkdome from Eternal Doom and Map21: Misri Halek from Alien Vendetta. They're old but absolutely incredible maps that really benefit from atmospheric music. Other good choices are CC2 Map18 which has a great TNT track, CC2 Map30, and CChest Map26 which features Hexen music. Hell Revealed 2 has some great slower tracks too. 

9 minutes ago, Dusty_Rhodes said:

I definitely recommend Map12: Darkdome from Eternal Doom and Map21: Misri Halek from Alien Vendetta. They're old but absolutely incredible maps that really benefit from atmospheric music. Other good choices are CC2 Map18 which has a great TNT track, CC2 Map30, and CChest Map26 which features Hexen music. Hell Revealed 2 has some great slower tracks too. 

might check those out some time

On 7/26/2022 at 11:22 AM, Shanoa said:

Of course it would, like @PeterMoro said it all depend on the gameplay you're aiming for. I usually "default" to fast music because it's my preference but occasionally I'll want a slower sounding MIDI.

The stats screen/intermission screen/MAP31 music from TNT Evilution is a perfect example that works and also one of my go-to for slower MIDI.

Still one of the most beautiful pieces of music I’ve ever heard in a video game.

dark ambience and dungeon synth are some of my favorite genres, so naturally i'd say yes.

On 7/26/2022 at 9:20 AM, Gez said:

Slow songs have worked just fine for Doom levels since the OG E1M8.

Came here to say this. Doom has always had slow songs.

1 hour ago, Nevander said:

Came here to say this. Doom has always had slow songs.

ya i forgot about the og duo

On 7/26/2022 at 9:20 AM, Gez said:

Slow songs have worked just fine for Doom levels since the OG E1M8.

Demons on the Prey remain my all-time favorite Doom song. It's possibly the slowest of the whole repertoire too!

Personally I can live without the fast-paced metal MIDIs. I know it's blasphemous and all, but Doom always felt better for me when the mood is sinister instead of being frenzied.