Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
K_Doom

What motivates you to play Doom to this day?

Besides Doom, Dungeons and Dragons is my favorite game.

I get motivated to get back to them due to the creativity involved the community and the "opensource" nature of it.

Either game has a never-ending amount of content created by the players which makes sure you never run out of material to run. In some ways it is similar to a rogue like, but since maps are "hand made", they tend to be better structured and makes it easier to find something on your confort level. You can play maps at random, or you can always come back to your favorite ones. You can play something that will destroy you when you want to challenge yourself, or replay one your favorite wads when you just want to turn the brain off and chill a little bit after work.

Besides that, Doom is a very easy game to understand. It combines arcade action with puzzles and you can get one or two maps complete in a short amount of time; this make it very easy for me to come back whenever i dont know what other game to play. I can come back after one year and know that the community has crafted a bunch of free new content.

Finally, I really like cooperative games and Doom will always be one of the best ones available. Easy to explain, and easy to fit people of different skill levels on the same session. 

Fragging someone on Dwango5 Map01 is just as fun today as it was 21 years ago when I first tried it out. For a while I was waiting for that "better game" to come along, eventually I realized it never would, and never needed to.

The joy of playing a new map that strikes the right chord with me is also still the same as ever. I haven't and probably won't ever get tired of that awesome feeling when a new map enters the fold of "wads I consider to be great".

I discovered I love retro shooters more than any other type of game, and Doom is unlimited retro shooter content :)

I dunno, I’m bored and want to have fun. Also b/c I don’t wanna miss out on the good contemporary wads coming out almost monthly.

Because it's fun and simple. There are loads of other games that try to overcomplicate 'the Doom formula' but no game does it better than Doom. It's just fun to play, the games and the thousands of custom maps/total conversions.

I’ve been a Doomer since the game originally came out waaayyyyy back in 1993. Sadly, I don’t play it as much these days as I used to. I have so many great memories from it’s heyday

I will say that DOOM is a game that is easy to pick up and play. You’re thrown right into the fray right off the bat. The base games are iconic and stellar, and there is so much community content that it’s hard to run out of things to experience in Doom.

I want to say it the simplest way:

1. Any door I open, the game door sounds come in my mind.

2. When turning switches on/off, happens the same as in point 1 above

3. Barrels around the city, reminds me the ones from Doom

4. When I'm having a walk and see the mountains, I think of Episode 1 sky most of times 

These are some reasons why I still play this loved game. 

Was I asked if doom is older than I am and I started playing it only in 2021? I think doom is a great game especially for its time and the fact that it's still alive and has huge amount of custom content is amazing

1. it's fun. Endlessly fun. 

2. Continual extra content since the mid 90's. A lot of people make some really impresssive shit - and it's all free!

3. Mapping. I always thought you had to be a master game coder to make a Doom map. I had no idea. Once I learnt how to make a map, i was hooked. Almost as fun as playing Doom. sometimes more.

4. The community. Most people around here are fucking cool, friendly, interesting, smart, helpful and supportive. I've met a lot of people that I really respect. 

19 hours ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

I like the people here so keeping in touch with Doom allows me to maintain a common interest with them - if I didn't like the community, I wouldn't still be playing the game.

Absolutely this. The people here are generally kind, fun to chat with, interesting, and encouraging. It's really fun to engage with these people. And I love reading feedback on my wads. 

6 minutes ago, Dusty_Rhodes said:

Absolutely this. The people here are generally kind, fun to chat with, interesting, and encouraging. It's really fun to engage with these people. And I love reading feedback on my wads. 

Can I see your wads?

I have this list of maps and wads I want to 100 that keeps growing.. so I'll probably be at it until the end of time. 

7 minutes ago, Gougaru said:

I have this list of maps and wads I want to 100 that keeps growing.. so I'll probably be at it until the end of time. 

Feel free to send me some in private messages haha

7 minutes ago, K_Doom said:

Feel free to send me some in private messages haha

Will do haha

31 minutes ago, K_Doom said:

Can I see your wads?

I don't have as many released as I'd like. I have a million in the works and often get stressed out and don't complete them in time (Doomer Boards 49 and 50, TNT from Memory, Morior Invictus, to name a few :c). That said, I do have a little bit and I'd love to hear your thoughts. Gonna spoiler them because self advertising is pretty shameful tbh. Don't want to hijack the thread. 

Spoiler

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/p-r/rlt

A few speedmaps. My first and only solo release out. Still proud of it even if it's just alright 

I did Map04, really fun little project even my map is a little lame. Glad I was a part of it.

I did Map03 and Map28. Pretty happy with these. 

I did Map20, pretty proud of it. I think the map balances wierd, bad 90s styles with decent ones and males a fun and quirky level. Runs in vanilla too! There is a texture problem for some reason though, the waterfalls are wood and a few joke textures I made are invisible. Dunno why. 

I made this stinker. Got mostly positive reviews but it's not great.

Also @finnks13 egged me on to add more monsters to the final fight heh, so blame him for why it's the way it is. Haha still the weird little map has a soft spot in my heart since I made while chatting with my buddies @Yumheart, finnks, @Athel, and @Origamyde. Good fun.

I did E1M1, which I'm very proud of (check the latest page for the most recent version. Run with the main release wad so the textures work) and co authored E4M6 with @magicsofa. Really cool wad I'm very to be apart of. Lotta great dm maps here.

@Dusty_Rhodes Everything looks very interesting, I like to play other maps to learn a little more about mapping, but in addition each map contains a little bit of its creator. Is it a literal way of getting to know the person who conceived it more, perhaps their "soul"? haha

Thanks for providing me these wads, you can contact me if you want my opinion on them, because it seems a little weird to play someone's work and not say anything about it.

I'm going to play them in the order you sent here, but I warn you that it takes me a while to play. If I can't run any of them (because I'm a noob who doesn't know how to run anything other than things that run on Z-"something") I'll contact you too.

42 minutes ago, Dusty_Rhodes said:

Looks like this one is no longer available for download. :(

Hide contents

I did Map03 and Map28. Pretty happy with these. 

The community output, for sure. 

Also, Doom is my zen game. Very meditative to shut my brain down and to act without acting. 

The nostalgia, this amazing community of chilled folks and Doom is as a satisfying gaming experience now as it has ever been. 

Playing the new wads that come out on a seemingly daily basis, its fun... sometimes.  

i might also add, with regards to singleplayer levels, but probably any and all of it: it really is a fact that we have yet to witness the true extent of what can be done with it, even within the limits of vanilla, and moreso with limit removing, boom, udmf formats and beyond. i don't think anyone still posting on doomworld in 30 years will see the extent of what could be done with with this engine and anything else that may come to extend its capabilities for decades after that. one of the few games that will probably be boundless.

even the maps of crude/poor design - i'm talking the 128u hallways all joined by right angles with 2, maybe 3, whole textures for your visual pleasure sorta d!zone classics - are all still fun (subjective), and i'm pretty sure that is just endemic to the way doom feels, regardless of what's being done with it. it doesnt matter if you seek a nightmare labyrinth series (and sometimes parallels?) of switches and switched objects and, keys and fiends to impede your progress or just hundreds and hundreds of fuckin demons at once, or maybe zero demons at all! all of it will still feel like doom, which under just about every scenario will feel great. just no nonsese first person shooting and moving, just enough friction and and momentum. and i think the demon's are cute. (but rude!)

Never gave it much thought. I just like Doom I guess. Discovering Decino's YouTube channel kind of rebooted my appreciation for the game, then MtPain27 sort of gave me a good list of WADs to play. Still playing those now (currently Good Morning Phobos). Then Dwars, and most recently SoBad have further entertained me with additional Doom content. I think it's just the endless amount of Doom out there, and so many people's continued interest that keeps me playing.

8 hours ago, K_Doom said:

a literal way of getting to know the person who conceived it more, perhaps their "soul"? haha

I think that's a beautiful point and absolutely true. Doom maps are art. I'm no Rembrandt, but I'm getting along alright. When you make art, some bit of your personality and soul, as you put it, is left in their. BPRD was the master of this, you always know when it's one of his wads. That's such a joyous thing about the community, finding all the personalities in the wads. 

8 hours ago, K_Doom said:

because I'm a noob who doesn't know how to run anything other than things other than on Z

Hey don't worry. GZDoom is great because it can run anything, so I'd say as long as it's on the vanilla (strict) settings or Boom (strict) settings, you can run the maps fine. I also would love to hear your feedback but you can just leave a reply on the various threads.

For me, it's a couple of things. I think the fact that you can make custom content for a game this old is still amazing to me. Maps, weapons, textures you name it. Something that also helps is that with modern mapping software, making maps is quite easy (in my opinion).

The last thing has to be the game itself. I can't put my finger on it but I'll try. I think it's a little bit of everything. The graphics, the music, the enemies, the weapons and the maps. The actual content of the games bring me back.

Something that adds to this is that we have access to many sourceports. There are many different ways to play doom, and it's fantastic.

Doom's the shit man. There's so much talent in the mapping, modding and speedrunning communities. I could play 10 new maps every day for the rest of my life, and it would be just a drop in the bucket. I also love Doom's simplicity. We Stan a protagonist who can't bend his neck, and also lacks the coordination to jump or crouch. I love that a new complevel was developed almost 30 years after Doom's initial release. Great community. I could go on and on, but I'm not really one to do that. I'll play this game until I can't anymore.

Honestly its a combination of fast and fluid movement fun, custom content and community content, well designed enemies, and the fact you can play it on anything. On every pc or console I have or have had there most likely is doom on it. Not only that but you can experience the game in so many ways, whether it be vanilla on pc or ambient and unsettling like the ps1 ports.