Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DSC

Best Sites To Waste Time

Just the best places to go when you have nothing else to do. Personally, I like:

-several game wiki's. Even when I don't play the games, I find reading about it and discovering stuff immensely entertaining;

-Wikipedia. More or less the same as above, learning is always a fun thing;

-YouTube, obviously;

-TV Tropes. Might be a somewhat controversial choice... Believe me, I like it for reasons totally different from being a nitpicky nerd or geek.

Doomworld

Also Drawception has consumed a million billion hours of my time, fun community and game and excuse to draw a lot.  Sadly the owner/admin/only dev on the site seems to have stopped caring about it these last couple years, but I'm hoping it'll get back up and running normally again someday.

And yes, I spend vast amounts of time tunneling around Wikipedia.  The best website on the internet.

16 minutes ago, Stupid Bunny said:

And yes, I spend vast amounts of time tunneling around Wikipedia.  The best website on the internet.

I get so tired of the "NuH uh! ANYONE caN ediT the Articles it'S all BULLSHIT!!! never tRust Anything on WikiPedia!!" crowd.

3 minutes ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

I get so tired of the "NuH uh! ANYONE caN ediT the Articles it'S all BULLSHIT!!! never tRust Anything on WikiPedia!!" crowd.

Hit them in the face with thisprotect.png.9ddc5ad25349d704368c366cb1f68d86.png next time they start spewing that BS.

Your search engine of choice for when you think of a random topic you suddenly want to spend the next few hours researching for no discernible reason.

45 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

Gotta mention Sporcle. That place owned me when I was still in school.

Crap! Completely forgot about it even though I played it yesterday. Yeah, great site, even made an account and a few quizzes myself years ago...

5 hours ago, DSC said:

-TV Tropes. Might be a somewhat controversial choice... Believe me, I like it for reasons totally different from being a nitpicky nerd or geek.

It basically fits the same discription as game wikis and The Other Wiki you mentioned, but for tropes.

I would add 4chan, I like the funny posts but there are also some really interesting posts there. Some of Newgrounds' review comments, forum posts and "Spam" games are funny too.

11 minutes ago, Codename_Delta said:

This website is not a waste of your time:

https://bullsquid.com/

Lol I remember this website, looks like a parody of the official Half-Life video bullchicken360.avi:

5 hours ago, Kinsie said:

Nobody should trust any website unthinkingly. The problem is that people (ranging from assholes online to school teachers) will automatically discredit any information you present them with if it came from Wikipedia because they themselves are too lazy to research the topic at hand to confirm its legitimacy. A while back, here on Doomworld, I witnessed this same scenario. Two people were debating about the critical reception of a game. Person A cited a Wikipedia article that quoted positive reviews of the game, from reviews still available to read on the internet. Person B said "that doesn't count because it came from Wikipedia", as if someone just randomly decided to get on Wikipedia and falsify information about a well-known video game without anyone on Wikipedia ever noticing. It's fucking stupid and nothing more than a lazy and dickish way to discredit the information you're being presented with if that information doesn't help your side of the argument.

If you're reading about major political events and decide that you're only going to get your information from one website, you're naive to begin with. If you're reading about a plant, a video game, a film, an airplane, an animal, or anything that isn't a topic prone to bias, I'd generally trust Wikipedia over any single website due to its information being maintained by a passionate community, as opposed to a website where articles are written for the purpose of making an income. The only things I would not use it for are things that require research to wees out bias: politics, government agencies, recreational drugs, etc. It can be used as a starting point for those things, but certain topics always require more research than reading a single article.

Edited by TheMagicMushroomMan

2 hours ago, Hitboi said:

I would add 4chan, I like the funny posts but there are also some really interesting posts there.

0.0  Really? I mean, sure, there has been some interesting stuff to come out of it, the SCP Foundation, the Backrooms... But the site itself is widely considered to be a cesspool not worth your time for good reasons.

1 minute ago, DSC said:

But the site itself is widely considered to be a cesspool not worth your time for good reasons.

Yeah, like politically incorrect posts, racist jokes, etc., I rarely visit the site though.

2 minutes ago, Hitboi said:

Yeah, like politically incorrect posts, racist jokes, etc., I rarely visit the site though.

Its the kind of stuff best consumed already filtered through third-parties, yeah.

8 hours ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

Show them this:
WikipediaTheMMORPG.PNG.b2e51d76bf9e909b3b7de6e36eb17bb9.PNG
(it's actually on Wikipedia thanks to the website's acceptance of comedic articles)

5 hours ago, DSC said:

But the site itself is widely considered to be a cesspool not worth your time for good reasons.

Only a handful of boards on 4chan are bad. Most of the hobby focused boards are perfectly fine. 4chan is the #1 website I waste the most time on.

Doomworld 🗿

YouTube is cool when I need some background noise when I'm mapping and don't wanna be in a vc or listen to music

Definitely Gizoogle. There's nothing like kicking back with a beer and reading topics that people consider profound and deep with a stereotypical layer of paint.