Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Honsolo56

Moving Trains

Simply put: you don't try to move the train. It's too complex, you can't move geometry like that, and it has to go somewhere.

So instead, you move the ground. Create a very big outer space that stretches really far. Then somehow you can apply floor scrolling actions (Boom or UDMF) and make the floor rapidly move one direction. It gives the illusion of the train moving since you are standing still on it.

In TVR map 01 , there is no skybox but a scrolling texture. On vanilla you can't make the sky moving but add a scrolling effect on wall textures.

23 minutes ago, ENEMY!!! said:

The k8Vavoom source port is the only one I'm aware of that offers a fairly straightforward way to implement moving trains, via 3D polyobjects.

Eternity does this too. There are real moving trains and other vehicles in skillsaw's Heartland.

37 minutes ago, Levi said:

@Nevander how do i do that

Nevander already told you how to do it, but I'll explain more specifically in Boom:

• Make a train inside an area you made
  • Make a dummy sector outside of the map or a linedef on one of the walls of the area (not train) and give it a "Scroll floor, Move Things" action (number 253), then give its linedef a tag
  • Add a tag to the area's sector(s) (not to the train) and make sure the sector(s)' tag is the same as the dummy sector's/linedef's, also rotate the sectors of the area and train if the scrolling floor is scrolling in the wrong direction
  • Optional: make the area's floor instantly killable so when the player steps off the train the player instantly dies

2 minutes ago, esselfortium said:

Eternity does this too. There are real moving trains and other vehicles in skillsaw's Heartland.

True, somehow I forgot about that, despite having been very impressed by the moving trains when I first checked out Heartland.  I'm not so familiar with how it works in Eternity but can see that it involves complex moving polyobjects and the extensive use of Eternity's portals.

At 01:42:33 there’s a moving train map in this WAD. It seems it is done similarly to how the other videos here have shown, which appears quite similar to the way Blood did the train map in that game, which is as Nevander said; the train doesn’t move but the ground moves and that makes the illusion that the train is moving across the track. 

I’m not sure how Skillsaw did the effect for Heartland, but I would suggest maybe looking at this tutorial at 18:57 - 26:02 for the “moving rock” tutorial. Using this tutorial as a base, you could probably work out how to make it appear as a moving train or other vehicle.