Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

Windows users, how do you feel about the "sound control panel" being moved?

This drove me crazy until I worked out the shortcut in pc settings > sound.  A friend with a lot of experience with vocal recording, said it was more complicated to use his mics.  One of the good things we had from xp-7.

Have noticed I don't need it that much. I use my phone to record sounds, the phone mic feels better than some studio mic I could plug into my computer, also can record anywhere. Later I'll just plug my phone into the computer and copy paste the recordings.

I remember spending a good 20 minutes trying to find it. When I finally found it I just said screw it and made a .bat file shortcut because I'm never doing that again.

image.png.c207ca7f9cf46eff0b5660915d4e3867.png

Sound settings have always been a mess on Windows.  I use Windows on my HTPC for DRM reasons, but for whatever reason it really wants my AVR to be 2.0 instead of 5.1.  IIRC it's like 1 less click on Windows 11 compared to Windows 10, but it's frankly embarrassing how buried the option to change the speaker configuration is.  I believe it might be same panel you're referring to?

On KDE it's two clicks in the system settings like it should be (Audio -> Profile).

Press win+r, type "mmsys.cpl" and there it is. You can also right click your desktop, make a new shortcut and point it to the command I mentioned, so that you can easily access it. For the old volume mixer do the same but type "sndvol.exe".

I missed you making threads like this OP. I thought they banned you. :D

3 hours ago, Crystal-Hawk_D00M said:

It's just another reason that I'm glad that I moved over to Linux.

Moving to Linux for competent audio support is like going to an AA meeting for the booze.

7 minutes ago, Kinsie said:

Moving to Linux for competent audio support is like going to an AA meeting for the booze.

To be fair, I didn't move over because of audio, I moved over because windows nearly crippled my computer once after a shoddily installed update.

I haven't had a single problem with it, and frankly it's only gotten more useful. You can now do per program device redirection natively since Windows 10, and the interface in 11 is a lot more streamlined and easier to teach to casual users.

4 hours ago, ZigfriedYoshimitsu said:

Press win+r, type "mmsys.cpl" and there it is. You can also right click your desktop, make a new shortcut and point it to the command I mentioned, so that you can easily access it. For the old volume mixer do the same but type "sndvol.exe".

I missed you making threads like this OP. I thought they banned you. :D

They tempbanned me a few times and said each ban would be double that of the last one.  But maybe my topics have more substance now, because I've posted here several times with no issues, over the last 6 months or so.

In some parts the new settings menu is better than the old one, in others it is worse. Using Open Shell I can access both, so nothing is lost.

I am far more bothered with the dismal state of digital audio output on PCs. I still need to use the analogue output to get it to my 5.1 receiver because HDMI is such a big fail for sending audio and video to different devices.

Overall, settings setup is strangely inefficient everywhere, not just Windows, Linux or macOS. These things are hard to do because if you got 100 people you get at least 50 opinions of how things should be done - get 500'000'000 people and there's no way anymore to get some coherent data.

i will never get over how windows has come to have two whole control panels. but only one called "control panel". its goofy but It Just Works, i guess.

freecell, for windows 3.1 also works. one thing for certain is that it is computer interface.
TAF9grb.png

so whatever allows freecell and the good control panel to run is Necessary bloat amidst the sludge of non-vital bloat, probably.

At some point I'm pretty sure trying to disable devices or prioritize certain devices simply didn't work in the new sound control panel in Windows 10.  I forgot if that was fixed in a later Windows 10 update or 11, but since then I've had nothing to complain about - no more will my PS4 controller silence my microphone every time I plug it in.  Overall, new Windows 11 control panel is a huge improvement over 10's and and at this point I prefer it to the old-style Win32 Control Panel.  Also, Linux is in no position to be talking about sound.  I'm pretty sure the last time I had to change my default sound device I had to use the command line.

Always remember YOSPOS: Your Operating System is a Piece Of Shit.  Which OS?  Your OS, whichever one you happen to be using.  All of them have nice features unique to them, but all of them have their own warts and annoyances.

8 hours ago, AlexMax said:

Also, Linux is in no position to be talking about sound.  I'm pretty sure the last time I had to change my default sound device I had to use the command line.

For a long time now this has been easy in KDE.  Both the sound mixer and the audio panel in system settings have radio buttons to select the default device.

Now Linux does have the issue of having separate creator and consumer audio stacks with poor interoperability (PulseAudio vs JACK), but hopefully Pipewire will finally solve that.

I had no idea this even happened because I had my updates disabled in services.msc. 

I'm actually still on windows 10 1803 as a matter of fact.