Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello everyone
this is my very first map, up until now i only played wads and i had the idea of trying making one of my own, so after watching a tutorial i made something that probably should be playable

i decided to call it Old Mountain Shrine

IWAD used is doom2

Map Format is UDMF (used 3D Floors to learn)

Tested on GZDoom

MAP01 only

Jumping and Crouching is disabled but Freelook is fine

screenshots: https://imgur.com/a/4MQHcuO

As for the map i tried making something a little difficult but still beatable, please tell me what you think :)

Map Download (new):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/156KTOpGkEkBpLHjB_3R5m2gRygpHphQX/view?usp=sharing

Edited by HViper045 : (Third) new version after fixing Ammo/Health and exit problem

You, sir. Are pure evil.

Seriously though, this is pretty great for a first map and there were a lot of creative uses of the graphics which looked really cool. It was really challenging as well! Normally I like to UVMAX everything but I couldn't on this one.

Spoiler

I had to spare the two Cyberdemons :(

Also, bonus points for NOT using Running from Evil.

Edited by YourOpinionsAreWRONG

Hey, there! Thanks for sharing! Here's a video, largely unedited.

Spoiler

Some constructive feedback:

Spoiler

I think my biggest suggestion here is to offer some more pickups. Unless in my blind run I was daft and missed some ammo, I'm not sure I was equipped to get 100% kills, particularly on the cybers. 

Also, if I'm not mistaken, some of the textures on the door traps for the revenants in the outside area need to be unpegged.

Canyons, caverns, and mountain passes are my jam, so I enjoyed the aesthetic. Keep it up!

I'm not sure if you had difficulties or not, but I played on UV.

If this is really your first map then it's a great effort. The traps are quite harsh and the start is also very difficult if you try to not use the PG. Given that it's the only weapon you get, unless you go the way that has the 2 Shotgunners, it's really your only choice at the start. However, knowing what's to come later in the map, I'd much rather have saved that ammo for later fights and been able to use a SG, SSG or CG at the start.

I noticed I could cheese the red key fight by hitting the switch to open the bars before picking up the key, then as the bars raised I just picked up the key, ran out of the room and avoided the entire trap. (I went back in after and killed them, but you might want to fix that in some way) The double Cyberdemon fight is pretty tough, not least from an ammunition point of view. I let them do a healthy amount of infighting, and I exited this fight with only a few Rockets and some Bullets so you may wish to consider throwing in a few more Cells in the area, or perhaps a Backpack at the start of the level to provide just that little bit more ammo for everything.

But overall a great map for a first time effort!

22 hours ago, HViper045 said:

Hello everyone
this is my very first map, up until now i only played wads and i had the idea of trying making one of my own, so after watching a tutorial i made something that probably should be playable

i decided to call it Old Mountain Shrine

IWAD used is doom2

Map Format is UDMF (used 3D Floors to learn)

Tested on GZDoom

MAP01 only

Jumping and Crouching is disabled but Freelook is fine

screenshots: https://imgur.com/a/4MQHcuO

As for the map i tried making something a little difficult but still beatable, please tell me what you think :)

Map Download:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1siMgBRZrXuriZ8W2yOYoCM8b_-AZKPEx/view?usp=sharing

Nice map, Good work dude!

I originally wanted to make a UVMax speedrun, but the map is already brutal enough.

Im a little late to reply but i wanna say thanks to everyone who played it :)

There is another link for it now, it should be easier on the ammo and health this time and secrets being a little more noticeable

Honestly i wasnt really sure on what to do from the cyberdemons area trap being avoided so easily, so i reinforced a little bit on the security and now Monsters should be able to follow you straight to the exit after teleporting in, so they don't feel left out 

I played this today because when I say "My first map" as a title I just have to play it. It reminds form when I started to map and how much I needed help at that time. I really enjoyed it, this was way better that my first map and even my couple of first maps. I recorded a playthrough of this but sadly my video got corrupted (sorry about that). If you make any more maps I'll try to play those either ping me or pm so I'm sure I don't miss it. Anyway good job and I wish you a lot of joy in your future mapping projects. If you need any help the community will most likely be able to help. 

1 hour ago, azerty said:

I played this today because when I say "My first map" as a title I just have to play it. It reminds form when I started to map and how much I needed help at that time. I really enjoyed it, this was way better that my first map and even my couple of first maps. I recorded a playthrough of this but sadly my video got corrupted (sorry about that). If you make any more maps I'll try to play those either ping me or pm so I'm sure I don't miss it. Anyway good job and I wish you a lot of joy in your future mapping projects. If you need any help the community will most likely be able to help. 

Thank you for playing it, im glad you enjoyed and when i make something new i'll be sure to pm about it

Well done. I like tough fights. I didn't look around that much for stuff to pick apart because I was too busy staying alive.

REALLY good first map.
Although, this map does suffer from mean enemy placement. (and bad texturing in the final area)
The cyberdemons are put in places that simply make the player nearly completely unable to do what they need to, unless they kill them, which the player isn't given enough ammo to do so.
As for the ugly final area, pick a better rock texture.
8/10
Forgot to mention this earlier, but I played un UV

Edited by EPICALLL

10 hours ago, EPICALLL said:

REALLY good first map.
Although, this map does suffer from mean enemy placement. (and bad texturing in the final area)
The cyberdemons are put in places that simply make the player nearly completely unable to do what they need to, unless they kill them, which the player isn't given enough ammo to do so.
As for the ugly final area, pick a better rock texture.
8/10

Played on HMP and didn't run out of ammunition. Mapper suffers from telegraphed traps, so you can bait quite a few monsters to infight.

@HViper045 Here is the gameplay video:

And something I thought of video:

Edited by IcarusOfDaggers : videos