Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Azure_Horror

Plasma Rifle sound: let's discuss our favorites

Vanilla only. Accept no substitutes. If my Plasma isn't rattling the entire room whenever I'm inserting a stream of it into the nearest demon, it's not Plasma. The sound is what makes it feel like a proper instrument of destruction.

Number one spot goes to the PSX one, obvious answer, no contender comes close for me.

Controversial, but second place goes to Doom 3, it slaps, it's sci-fi and badass and you can't change that opinion.

I feel like the Plasma Gun was done dirty in Doom 64, there's very few uses for it in that game IMO. The cells don't seem to travel as fast as they did in PC Doom, and I primarily use it for taking out Revenants as close/cramped range (as they'd be too close for rockets and you'd be vulnerable during the SSG reloading), and for groups of Chaingunners, both of which are missing in Doom 64. Maybe for taking out Pain Elementals, which I'll also use it against since it's a constant stream of cells and it significantly reduces their chance of shooting out a Lost Soul?

The OG plasma gun sound, but with the volume decreased by about 25%.

Probably...the one that appears in the Map Heavenly Rock, but idk what the first one to use it was. Valiant or something? It's still punchy and also far more spacey but far less abrasive

Personally for me it's gotta be the original, just a *tad* quieter as bofu said.

Also, shameless plug, I made a new Plasma firing SFX for Doom 64/PSX awhile back from scratch.  Tried doing the original with respect, while adding it's own thing in the process.

https://streamable.com/w7pzti

6 hours ago, Robo_Cola said:

Personally for me it's gotta be the original, just a *tad* quieter as bofu said.

Also, shameless plug, I made a new Plasma firing SFX for Doom 64/PSX awhile back from scratch.  Tried doing the original with respect, while adding it's own thing in the process.

https://streamable.com/w7pzti

Not gonna lie that sound is badass, do you have any future plans for that sound?

Can't go wrong with the doom 3 plasma gun sound, does its job and more easy on the ears. Though I'll still love the classic doom plasma sound.

Doom 3 version for sure. Doesn't make good sound systems with subwoofer loud af.

I prefer "puff-puff-puff" sound of DOS version to more harsh sound of modern ports. But if we talk about mods then i like Doom 3 variant.

I'd say Doom 3 is my favourite, and for similar reasons as others. It sounds impactful and the reload sounds bad arse.

Comparing Doom 2016 to Eternal sounds, I feel like there is an opportunity to have a small rapid fire with higher accuracy but less damage mode, with an optional secondary firing mode that shoots much higher damage but is less accurate and more ammo hungry, although has the heat blast function.

Microsoft Sam saying "pew pew".

Seriously though, original vanilla sound. Sound replacements always seem a bit gratuitous to me; if you change the sound I'd rather you also change the graphics to go with it, and even better if the behavior is also altered. Basically if it quacks like a different gun, I'd rather it also look like a different gun and be a different gun. Though it's not a very strong preference; I won't stop playing something just because the sounds were changed.

On 8/14/2022 at 8:09 AM, mrthejoshmon said:

Not gonna lie that sound is badass, do you have any future plans for that sound?

None that are immediate, if you want I can send you the file if you want to use it.

37 minutes ago, Robo_Cola said:

None that are immediate, if you want I can send you the file if you want to use it.

If it is ok with yourself then yes, please.

i like changing it to the og photon torpedo soundclip
shovelware discs with DMAUD definitely used to include that as an option and it stuck with me

On 7/31/2022 at 2:13 AM, Stabbey said:

I love the Doom 3 one, not so much for the firing sound (which is fine), but the reloading sounds, so you get the clunk-clunk *dweeeeeeee* sound of it powering up.

Aye, it is really nice :D

But i also love that Sound because it has something with the Combination of letting Cacos fly around like Balloons.

I use the original, crank the volume, and put the speakers against both my ears until I can taste the plasma in my mouth. The original plasma sound scares my dog though, she'll leave the room even if it's on low volume though she'll sit right next to me while I'm playing.

A close second would be the Flintstones scrambling sfx. Someone posted a chaingun version a while back and I took the liberty of trying it out for the plasma, that shit was cash money.

Third would be how Sunlust does it. It's the most tasteful version that I've come across, I just wish the projectiles didn't block half the screen.

34 minutes ago, TasAcri said:

Does anyone know which sound mod Decino uses to replace the Plasma sounds in his videos?

He doesn't use sound mods, so if the plasma sound is different it's part of the WAD he's playing.

The original is awesome because it really sounds like something that can melt packs of demons in seconds. Raw and unrefined as someone else said, perhaps nearly as uncomfortable to the user as it is to the target. That you can’t really hear what’s going on around you when you’re using it is a nice drawback for a weapon so powerful.

The others just sound ... sad.

I want to say Doom 3 purely for the reload sound, which is super satisfying and a brilliant little bit of sound design, but the firing sound doesn't quite match up. PSX/64 wins ultimately IMO for the cartoony but also gnarly sounding one.

I don't necessarily think any of the plasma sounds are bad, but none of them are perfect. OG is iconic, but it can be harsh when used a lot. D3 is clean-sounding, but a bit wimpy. PSX is very retro-sounding, but lacks a strong oomph like the other two do. I know some of Skillsaw's WADs have custom plasma sounds, too, and I like them just fine, too, but they also sound a little flat.
I actually took two sounds from X-Men Children of the Atom and mashed them together "MADE" a plasma sound of my own that I think checks all the boxes on what I want out of a plasma sound. Strong attack, distinctive timbre, and still has a retro-sci-fi type of sound. I just need to actually make a map so I can show it off, lol.

Doom Eternals plasma sound is underrated. Either that or doom3. I never liked the original since it just hurts my ears after a while