Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

JAMAL JONES TRILOGY - Old development thread - [Doomkid's 20 Years Mapping Contest]

All the blank slots are currently unclaimed, and the theme is meant to be (mostly) Hellish, with some wiggle room of course. Nothing too UN-Helly, in other words.

I've linked the original project thread in the OP to give a little more context if needed.

S1 slot, please (This is MAP31 slot, right?)

I wanna make a fast-paced run-and-gun map like Valiant/Struggle. I assume that's okay as long as it's vanilla and uses provided resources.

Those are blanked out because they don't animate in vanilla, hehe. You'll want to use DBRAIN* for lava falls.

Also adding everyone else to the OP!

14 minutes ago, Dubium said:

S1 slot, please (This is MAP31 slot, right?)

I wanna make a fast-paced run-and-gun map like Valiant/Struggle. I assume that's okay as long as it's vanilla and uses provided resources.

That's correct (sounds like a good basis for inspiration too)

All that's left open is the "super secret" slot :) Glad to see these slots all filled up quickly!

16 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

That's correct (sounds like a good basis for inspiration too)

Thank you for clarifying 👍

There is only one thing that I still don't understand. So I'll ask about it if you don't mind.

I noticed there are already many finished maps in the wad. Are those from the original Jamal Jones mapping contest? I thought there were almost 60 maps submitted in the contest, why aren't they all included in the wad?

2 minutes ago, Dubium said:

I noticed there are already many finished maps in the wad. Are those from the original Jamal Jones mapping contest? I thought there were almost 60 maps submitted in the contest, why aren't they all included in the wad?

When the original contest wrapped up, there were 56 maps in total. When divvied up, the arrangement was as follows:

Episode 1 - 22 maps

Episode 2 - 22 maps

Episode 3 - 12 maps

Cammy (and several others.. including myself) found this to be an extremely unsatisfying distribution of maps, since E3 got the short end of the stick.

This little side project is just an easy way to fill out that last episode, and end up with 3 nice, uniform parts, consisting of 22 maps each. Hopefully that clears up any confusion as to what's actually going on here :)

I completely failed to submit anything to the contest. Maybe it is time for some redemption. I think I could come up with something particularly nasty for the super secret slot.

Happy to have you on board, cannonball! and with that, all the slots are now filled.

Really looking forward to seeing what everyone makes!

For slot #12 which is average enemy count do you expecting?
I am asking it just in case, because I am not a big fan of slaughtermaps filled with 9000 Archviles or something like this...

If somebody leaves or you want a bonus map or something, keep me in mind mate. I missed out on getting in earlier due to business.

Wowsers, talk about popular demand, I'm glad I floated my second map early in the piece, slot availability didn't last 24 hrs.

7 hours ago, RastaManGames said:

For slot #12 which is average enemy count do you expecting?
I am asking it just in case, because I am not a big fan of slaughtermaps filled with 9000 Archviles or something like this...

Somewhere around 150-200 monsters should be just fine. There are actually quite a few super-long maps (which makes sense as people were going for the contest winnings, but still) so having short-ish maps would actually be very welcome.

Oh, looks like I'm a bit too late. Ah well, guess I'll still watch this thread in anticipation c:

13 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Somewhere around 150-200 monsters should be just fine.

What if it is gonna be around ~100? (. )(. )

Also... Is target source-port with limit removing or something Hellish like pure DOS?

Edited by RastaManGames

Here is the first iteration of my jankie-cranky entry for this community project...

Map Name: Scorched Debris. 

Map Format: Vanilla (Doom In Doom).

Author: RastaManGames.

Theme: Ruined/Infested City.

Music: Track №6 from "Final Doom: TNT Evilution".

Difficulty Settings: Implemented. Keycards is easier to find on easier difficulty. Also higher difficulty contains more abysmal enemy roster.

Stats (K/S/I): Easy -> 73/5/24; Medium -> 78/5/24; Hard -> 78/5/20.

Multiplayer Stuff: There is 4 player starts for cooperative play & also 10 deathmatch starts just for skirmish.

Ports Tested: "DSDA-Doom", "GZDoom".

Description: This place looks familiar. Maybe it is your hometown? Or maybe this is just an illusion? How it is even possible to grab a part of human's city and transfer it to Hell? Whatever. You need to get out of here as soon as possible, because few seconds ago you heard an dreadful roar of eldritch beast. You only gonna hope that there is something hopeful on the other side of that scorched debris...

Screenshots: Watch on Imgur...

Download: Grab from Google.Drive

Notes:

(*) I don't sure if I am allowed to use custom MIDI, but I've include one in the *.wad as D_RUNNIN & also included it in archive. 

(*) One particular area might lead to visplane overflow, but I hope that it doesn't.

(*) Not sure about slot, because there is not 200 and even not 100 enemies. I am really don't like slaughtermaps.

1 hour ago, RastaManGames said:

(*) Not sure about slot, because there is not 200 and even not 100 enemies. I am really don't like slaughtermaps.

Really nice screenshots there, I'll give this a proper playtest soon but I like what I'm seeing! Also, don't worry too much about the map slots. There's definitely room for them to be rearranged once all maps are complete.

Sheesh, I sure missed alot of stuff. Blame travel.

Anyways uh if it's alright may I switch my map slots with @NeedHealth? I'm working on an Inmost Dens-type map and I think it'll fit more there.

So this is getting expanded to 22 maps? Awesome news! I'll be sure to give it a whirl when the first RC drops!

Wow, these new weapon sprites are just SLICK. Especially the new Shotgun and Rocket Launcher, I didn't expect they would get revamped like THAT!