Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dobu gabu maru

The DWmegawad Club plays: Ray Mohawk 1 & 2 (It's Our Tenth Anniversary!)

MAP02: Bridge. SV, PS. 126/126 K, 3/3 S. Comp. time 8:46.

A decent level I almost completed without saves (rewinds), but in the end I was feeling cocky and fell for the obvious chaingunner ambush in the exit room. Sigh.

Another decent map that has far less of the jokey wad feeling than the first map. Only the imps and sunglass pistol zombies really evoke the chill feeling of the first map. 'Bridge' is more like a techbase/mountain map.

Not that I mind, because it's a good 90s vanilla map. Perhaps I feel it's a missed opportunity that cacodemons, chaingunners and revenants don't have custom sprites (as far as I can tell), that the map feels like a standard Doom '94 fare. The soundtrack keeps on kicking ass!

Map 02 - The Bridge

459px-Ray_Mohawk's_Manic_Monday_MAP02_ma

Just a little information before starting my review : I played the whole episode on continuous before recording the video on map 02, so consider that all my reviews are written with foreknowledge.

The wad already starts to get more techbase-y at this point. After playing the full episode, I have to say Doomkid did a great job mixing the traditional Doom techbase with the natural landscapes.

About the bridge, I really enjoyed this map, even more than the first map. For my part, this level shares more characteristics of a first map than the actual map 01. The progression was more linear and only use one key. Moreover, I found the level less difficult even if the end of the map contains some elaborated traps involving monster closets and teleportations. 

But above all, what I liked most in this map were the mountainous landscapes and the music which gives me an instant feeling of nostalgia. The highlight on height variations and the wooden bridge you have to raise as well contribute to transform that little map in a small adventurous hike.

Grade : B+

(GZDoom 4.8.2, Seeking Validation, continuous, saves allowed)

MAP02 - The Bridge

Another fun level. Was very enjoyable to see the Hula Imp in a more serious setting, I hope we end up in some sort of hell map with the Imp still inexplicably in its hula gear.

Having missed the berserk secret on the first map, this was my first experience and wow, the knife + the berserk combo really is a match made in heaven. I barely used any other weapons (why bother wasting ammo when you have all the power you need right there in your hand?!)

I think I preferred the first map slightly due to the unorthodox setting, it's certainly more memorable, but I still really enjoyed this one.

Grade - B+ 

MAP02: The Bridge

Success: Yes

Hitscanners in relatively open maps seem bad on paper, but I've really liked all the action in this WAD so far. Good placement of barrels also helps a ton. This map also continues the streak of successfully creating something that looks enough like an actual place instead of just arbitrary geometry.

This song, though... I've never actually head the original, but personally I can't help but to think about the Finnish parody version, which does take me out of the Doom experience a little. It is a nice bassline though.

I couldn't not miss the tenth anniversary of the club. Plus, I really like Doomkid's wads. I've played through Ray Mohawk's Manic Monday before, but I haven't played the sequel, which I'm really looking forward to. All the maps in Ray Mohawks Manic Monday are by Doomkid.

The basic set up is that the UAC has developed a new fuel called Nukage, which has drastic effects on the environment. Ray Mohawk, our hero, has decided to go down to the UAC Offices in his home town in the bay to talk to the UAC and berate them on the terrible effects of Nukage. After he steps outside, he discovers that his neighbours have been infected with Nukage , making them into Zombified civilians. Soldiers arrived and promptly began firing on these civlians. Ray goes back inside his house and arms himself with a knife and a Rifle. His mission: destroy the heart of the UAC operations.

MAP01: House by the bay- GZDoom-Rifle start

Happy Birthday, Doomkid!

A very strong opening map, set around a small, mostly abstract, town. This map introduces a number of DEHACKED changes, the first of which you'll notice is the fact that you are armed with a knife and Rifle, which replaces the fists and pistol respectfully. I'm not entirely sure if the Rifle fires faster than the pistol. Doomkid would probably have to correct me on that one. I'll talk about the knife in a bit.

New enemy replacements are introduced in this map. Zombimen have new skins, Imps are wearing hula skirts and the SS troopers are replaced with a enemy that mimics their attacks, without feeling out of place in the wad. Even though these aren't "new" enemies, only replacements, they are fun to fight thanks to the run-and-gun nature of the map.

The knife is probably my favourite part of the mapset. It's rate of attack is so much faster than the fists and feels a lot better compared to using the fists. I think it deals more damage as well.

Overall, I really liked this map. It's a very good introduction to the wad, and I look forward to replaying this for a second time.

I had no idea that Larry David was the executive producer of this.

Kills: 100%

Secrets: 66%

Map02: The Bridge

Bridge to Somewhere.

Another great map. The main objective here is to raise the titular bridge to get to the exit. Similar to the previous map, it is very short but to the point. There's no sense of padding or it feels unnecessary long.

I've come to appreciate Doomkid's map design over time( not that I didn't like his maps from the beginning, I loved playing through Rowdy Rudy with the club). His maps usually aren't by any means complex, but they are heaps of fun to blast through, which I think was his goal.

I love DEHACKED

Kills: 100%

Secrets: 100%

I'm playing on Seeking Validation with pistol starts on Crispy Doom.

Map 02: The Bridge

Visually a bit less interesting than the first map, but the watery canyon looks nice. The combat is pretty much the same as in the first map, just some stronger enemies in the mix. Berserked knife is super fun, I killed pretty much all Imps, Cacos and Revs with it. Secrets were easy and fun to find. Really nothing bad to say, very enjoyable map.

2 hours ago, Rujasu said:

This song, though... I've never actually head the original, but personally I can't help but to think about the Finnish parody version, which does take me out of the Doom experience a little. It is a nice bassline though. 

I went to check what the song was because of your comment. Funnily enough I have been listening to the Revolting Cocks cover of it a lot recently and I didn't recognize it at all. I definitely agree with you about the bassline.

MAP02 - “The Bridge”

Another super chill level with a lot of instances where you can just shoot at some barrels and make hellspawn's innards fly all over the place.

I think, what I like the most so far is the really laid down feeling.
Super useful secrets.

Can't wait for the next map.

★★★★☆

MAP02 - “The Bridge” 100 Kills / 95 Items / 100 Secrets. 
10:48

Cool base level set on a Canyon on top of a river. The river serves as the main corridor to connect the beginning base section with the upper part and the last section, with the player approaching the river from different altitudes creating an organic progression. 

This levels spikes the difficulty a little bit with three ambushes on the upper part of the river and introducing the Revenant. None of the ambushes feel unfair, as the map includes a huge amount of health (and a secret berserk pack) to recover in case either of them goes awry.

Map02A.jpg

The river helps the level flow, each section will return to this room from a different height

I like the use of windows on the bases, as it lets you snipe enemies, plan ahead and exit out of the window while heading to the bridge as an 80s action hero. They loop the level, reducing backtrack and letting the player skips part of map when returning to a previous area after pulling a switch.

I have not played this level on death match, but it feels like this may a good map for it. The map nooks and crannies plus the use of windows to have visibility of adjacent areas and the way the level flows may make it a good experience when fragging your friends.

Edited by Garlichead

MAP02 - The Bridge:

4:59/0 Deaths
Not too much to say here, The Bridge is an entertaining techbase map that's filled to the brim with zombies. Like MAP01, I found the map to be rather tight on ammo, though this is probably my fault since I found the secret berserk pack and then proceeded to never use it. Some heavier hitters are added to the fray, with a few revenants and cacodemons making an appearance in the outside area. There's explosive barrels everywhere to help you deal with the zombie hordes and they as satisfying to use as always.

Even though it's in plain sight, the red key that is required to exit the map is tagged as a secret, which is an odd choice. I enjoyed the large building which has the switch to raise the titular Bridge the most, it's a fun slaughter of zombies and imps that poses just enough threat to not be completely mindless.

8 hours ago, Silent Wolf said:

I've come to appreciate Doomkid's map design over time( not that I didn't like his maps from the beginning, I loved playing through Rowdy Rudy with the club). His maps usually aren't by any means complex, but they are heaps of fun to blast through, which I think was his goal.

That is something i love about Doomkids maps, they may not be as gorgeous or complex as some other people work, but everything he makes is super fun and makes you want to keep playing. He certainly puts gameplay above everything else.

(Played from pistol-start on Prboom+, saves are allowed)

Map 2: The Bridge

100% kills, 83% items and 100% secrets

Time: 5:43

The Bridge is definitely slower paced than the last map because of the more restrictive layout and the beginning, in which the ranks need to be slowly cut down with the rifle. That said, the energy picks up when you grab the CG as Doomkid starts to throw bigger hordes of fodder accompanied by a few mid-tiers. I also really like the visuals in here as they feel very 90s, but also work especially well thanks to the setting: a complex made of a few techbases built into the mountains. However, I don't understand why the red key is a secret and the chainsaw is kinda useless for me since I pistol start, even if I completely admit that it is my fault for the latter. That said, these “issues" are very minor and The Bridge is still a fun map.

Rankings:

Spoiler

Love:

Map 1

Like:

Map 2

Map02- The Bridge
100% kills

I had a lot of fun with this map, mainly because I was able to access the large supply of bullets and the berserk pack in the beginning techbase area. As a result, I was able to run and gun throughout most of the level and coupled with the relative abundance of enemies, made for a fun experience. The level does up the heat towards the end, throwing in more mid-tiers and chaingunners but nothing too unbearable. I also liked the river valley and techbase design, it looked pretty. All of this is enhanced by the MIDI selection which I enjoyed quite a bit. I remember struggling with this level and left it with a bad taste in my mouth when I first played Ray Mohawk but honestly, I genuinely had a blast replaying this level. 

Map 02: The Bridge

So, this is some 70s soul hit I couldn't tell you any lyrics from. I just know it's not like "Yacht rock" or something that might be more appropriate here. And honestly, I'm a little bit confused on (ok, settle down) Doomkid's decision to pilfer the map title of his favorite Memento Mori map, because there's zero comparison point between these two.

Visually-wise, it's definitely a fair bit blander than the opening map. I'm half-convinced Doomkid was trolling us by starting us in a STARTAN room. Fairly basic techbase quickly gives way to a large outdoor area with a mandatory secret red key sitting halfway up a waterfall at the other end with another sort of warehouse building sitting between y'all.

Now it might be fair to call the combat easier than the original despite there being more enemies, but that might be just due to the greater prevalence of available ammo, probably as much due to the linear layout as anything else. The conveniently-placed barrels in all the indoors areas certainly help matters though. I did find the Hula Imps a little bit out of place in some of the buildings, but they also demonstrate how effective the rifle can get when you're not being swarmed. There are also intelligently-placed hitscanners that can possibly wreck you but probably not bring death upon you. Although the chaingunner trap in one location might take you by surprise.

I spent far too long looking for the other 2 secrets. The Berserk Pack was easily accessible once I put my noggin together but the chainsaw secret was such counterintuitive nonsense that I was convinced it was some anonymous computer panel. The actual passage which is to the left of the exit door and heads down a marble tunnel that leads to a vent covered by cobwebs you may have spotted before that lowers this incredibly trollish secret. Most likely, it's intended for the Cacodemons in the exit room, although a couple of hitscanners will teleport behind you for seemingly no reason, so maybe you won't have the oppourtunity for that? It's still quite satisfying though.

I think it's fair to say that this is probably a better map combat-wise, although it's not exactly suited to dynamic encounters. The bit in the building leading to the red key seems fairly challenging with your limited roster, especially if you're like "who needs barrels?" Because who needs them? Huh? Huh?

lmd_mohawk_02.zip

Ray Mohawk's Manic Monday

Vanilla Doom, Hurt Me Plenty, Rifle start, No saves (Unless the level is too hard)

rHluL3j.png

Map 02: The bridge

Results: 100% of everything (Pog)

I like this one, I really do. This one, alongside another future map, is one of my favorites of the mapset, not too much stuff going on, a tiny tech-base with some hitscanners and imps, there are quite a few but they're manageable. Next, a wide open area with some more enemies, in this part I'd like to not rush and snipe the enemies as much as I can. In the next tech-base I do pretty much the same and we get to flip the switch to raise the bridge :o

After that, nothing too special. The revenants get their first apparition here, alongside a few monsters, as well as the chainsaw. The final trap can catch you out of guard, so beware of that.

I'm surprised I got 100% items, mostly because the armor and health bonuses can blend with the rock textures, making them easy to miss as their sprites aren't that visible. Maybe that's the only criticism I can give.

Once again, I recorded the game session in a demo, feel free to download it ;-)

Demo

Edited by xX_Lol6_Xx : Added Picture

MAP02 - “The Bridge”

This one goes along just fine, nothing too hard and arguably easier than map01 given there are less directions as to where monsters can come/shoot from. The outdoor section is definitely the highlight, but the techbase parts are fine too, quite simply built but function perfectly okay.

The chainsaw secret only reward is to add a minute to your final time though... tut tut.

Another solid map overall, jeez that Rod Stewart midi though.

MAP03: We Love Pollution. SV, PS. 190/190 K, 2/2 S. Comp. time 11:59.

Another decent 90s vanilla map with soundtrack that oozes cool (to me, but then I was born in the early 80s, I'm an old fart). This one has a little more of that Mohawk feel to it like we saw in MAP01, but still this somehow feels like a techbase level with the startans and all. The other building where majorityh of action takes place even reminds me of E1M2 somehow, probably unintentionally though?

Only now I realized that even non-berserk punch (or the machete or something) is actually powerful. Saw that mentioned in one of the comments on day 1, but I didn't connect the dots 'cause I had picked a berserk pack there (which I now only found after everybody was dead).

MAP03 - “We Love Pollution”

I am starting to wonder whether part of playing this wad is to be able to guess what song is playing in midi format. This one I am less sure about apart from the fact it was from the 1980s. 

The map, this one has a little more teeth, there is a lot of big open spaces so a lot of stuff gets thrown around, however the only reason I came close to death was that I chose the wrong route to enter the first outdoor area (I chose the stairs), the drop down to the nearby platform lands you an also map breaking blue armour. This was good clean fun to run around and cause carnage, a few mid tiers make their appearance here, nothing too challenging, they usually just mix in with the fodder.

This was probably my favourite map of the wad so far, though they are tightly bunched. Both secrets were found after everything had perished, I did laugh a little at the zombie in exit room, that barrel is not your mate.....

Map 03 : We Love Pollution

603px-Ray_Mohawk's_Manic_Monday_MAP03_ma

Ray shows us his talents as an environmental activist since the objective of this map seems to sabotage a factory located at seashores which is dumping its toxic waste into the water. I mostly like this map for its open and spacious outdoors and indoors and the polluted beach near the exit.

When I heared the midi, I thought it was partially broken before realising the original composition by Herbie Hancock aimed to sound that glitchy. Because of the music, I think this map has a less light-hearted mood than the others and I like it, it sometimes sound a bit creepy.  It implicitly tells me "Dude, there's something wrong here".

About the aesthetics, I really appreciate how Doomkid extensively used the mossy stone from the beta version of Doom for the exteriors and the classic beige Startan for the interiors. This level  has a very purified design.

Grade : B

Edited by Roofi

MAP03: We Love Pollution

Success: No (95/190 on second attempt...)

I feel like sharp drops into enemy-infested rooms like at the beginning of this one are a bit of a faux-pas in vanilla maps, but I gave myself a second go at it after dying in the first minute. I think this map, more than the first two, really embraces the chaotic energy of looking through a window and aggroing the 98345836 mobs you see through it, who then start roaming the map and and making your life difficult. The meticulously designed combat spaces of Eviternity and such are all well and good, but there's a dynamic nature to maps like this that I appreciate. I got Antaresian Reliquary in the /idgames roulette yesterday and some of those had a similar vibe.

Maybe I'd form a different opinion if I actually made sure to beat these maps, but I'll leave that to future me.

MAP03 - “We love pollution” 98 Kills / 100 Items / 100 Secrets. 
12:27

A techbase level set on a water treatment plant invaded by demons. The different buildings are connected by large open spaces. The overall flow of the map relies on to jumping from a big shootout to the next with some light exploration in between the fights. 

The mancubus and the aracnotron are introduced here, while the player gets his hands on a rocket launcher to cut through the hordes of enemies. Doomkid gratuitous use of low tier opposition on the front of the horde with projectile baddies on the back empower the player to make him feel like a bad-ass. Chunks of enemies fall apart between the player and the demons infighting.

Map03B.jpg.44e768756766dd3237e773e8bf1bb943.jpg

The courtyard scenes break up the exploration sections into arena shootouts

Most of the courtyard fights lends themselves to monster infighting which takes away some of the heat from the player and keep the action under control and on manageable levels.

Similar to the last map, windows are used to great effect to provide "one way exits" between the different buildings which help reduce the amount of backtrack and keep the action moving. 

(GZDoom 4.8.2, Seeking Validation, continuous, saves allowed)

MAP03 - We Love Pollution

I think I'm starting to get a bit of hitscanner fatigue after three maps of fighting them in open areas in fairly large numbers. I struggled quite a bit in the large courtyard area having taken fair amounts of damage from the enemies in the opening section of the map, I died a few times from this.

That said, I did enjoy the later parts of this level where Revenants, Cacodemons, Hell Knights,a Mancubus and Arachnotron joined the fray to help me wipe out all the hitscanners and then each other. 

I wasn't keeping an eye on the enemy count, so the ambush after picking up the red key took me by surprise and was the most enjoyable fight in the map.

The map design was great, as I have come to expect from this megaWAD already. 

Grade - B 

MAP03 - “We Love Pollution”

This map blends with the other two. It's not a bad map, but I think the wad can start to pump it up at this point.
The chaingun secret was really fun, but the berserk one there's no way I can find (i had to check on doom builder).

★★★☆☆

MAP03 - We Love Pollution:

6:56/1 Death
We Love Pollution is another short snappy techbase, with more of a focus on the "techbase" than the previous level. We also see the shocking introduction of nukage - the evil product the UAC is destroying humanity with, will they ever learn?

We get the rocket launcher, and the introduction of arachnotrons and mancubi but the difficulty is still kept low, though that didn't stop me from finding a way to face-rocket myself! More custom textures are present here than in previous levels, grey bricks and startan-like textures give the map a more distinct identity than the previous couple.

The outside fight which contains the rocket launcher is my favourite bit of the map, it's fast paced and being able to berserk hell knights, cacodemons and revenants to death with just one stab is incredibly satisfying. This is one of those maps which is enjoyable to breeze through without a care, even as someone who normally savescums like my life depended on it, I let the flow of combat take me and didn't even think about it until writing this. It's great fun.

I'm playing on Seeking Validation with pistol starts on Crispy Doom.

Map 03: We love pollution

Probably my least favourite map in the set. It's not bad, it just doesn't really stand out that much. Chaingunning enemies is fun, but there are quite a few higher tier enemies around and not that many rockets, so the lack of SSG is starting to sting a bit. Fights are otherwise nice and I like how large the scale is in this map. I didn't really enjoy the midi in the same way as in the previous maps. It's a decent map.

Edit: I didn't find the berserk, it would have made the level more fun for me

Ray Mohawk's Manic Monday

Vanilla Doom, Hurt Me Plenty, Rifle start, No saves (Unless the level is too hard) 

9aPFweq.png

Map03: We Love Pollution

Results: 100%, 98%, 100%

Now our mission is revealed, we must help Ray Mohawk to stop the demons and the pollution the UAC has produced. What I like about this map is that, while it has a fairly big amount of enemies, it never feels overwhelming or unfair. We finally get the SSG, Rocket launcher and some new enemies, as the hell knights and arachnotrons make their appearance. The level itself doesn't have anything outstanding, although the chaingun secret and that little fountain outside are cute and a nice addition. Difficulty wise the map isn't hard as long as you pay attention to the environment. Overall, not bad, but maybe a bit too simple. Another thing I like about the game is that Doomkid actually changed the pain palette color so it doesn't blind you whenever you take too much damage, which is really appreciated :-)

Of course, I recorded a demo for you to watch (if you want of course) :-)

DWMEG03.zip

Edited by xX_Lol6_Xx : Added Picture

(Played from pistol-start on Prboom+, saves are allowed)

Map 3: We Love Pollution

100% kills, 82% items and 100% secrets

Time: 7:29

We Love Pollution is a techbase that gets rid of it's waste by throwing it outside and polluting the area, but that doesn't stop Ray, who must blast through it to continue his journey. The first thing that struck me is the Hancock midi, which sounds weird but is actually oddly fitting. Gameplay-wise, we are still in Ray Mohawk, so we have lots of fodder accompanied by a few heavies who must be mowed down mostly with the SG and CG, but also the RL, which is introduced in here. Thankfully, the energy sags less than in the previous map and it is still possible to rampage with a berserk pack. Not much more to say, We Love Pollution is another really good map, even if it blends a bit with the rest.

Footnote: I realized after finishing this map that I was playing on Boom compatibility the whole time, oh well...

Rankings:

Spoiler

Love:

Map 1

Really Like:
Map 3

Like:

Map 2

Map 03: We Love Pollution

I'm warm so I'll be quick or not. This is the hardest map so far which doesn't necessarily mean much right now but the liberal amounts of hitscanners are placed in just the right spots to completely ruin you. It was only the 3rd time when I discovered the obvious secret leading to a outside-facing closet with a chaingun. Honestly, I wasn't very happy being forced to backtrack from the red key door in one of the clumsiest and most arbitrary of methods possible. Supercharge trap was kind of nice and I finally got an opportunity to test out the knife. It's really good with Cacodemons! And I guess this midi does make sense, although it's such 80s garbage I'd just rather not. At least the rocket launcher is fun to use, though perhaps you should be careful when you use it