Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
chilvence

Jdoom -> Zdoom

Can I be a knob and suggest ZdoomGL support the Jdoom model pack straight out of the box? I dont know If its been mentioned before or anything, but the Jdoom models are such an improvement over the old ones that it would be a crime not to.

Well, we'll see when I get around to implementing md2 models. Many people use that model pack, so it'd definitely be something to look at.

Arioch said:

I'll just stick resolutely to sprites

Yeah, as long as the models are not über1337 I'll use sprites too.

DooMBoy said:

Heh Sprites > Models

I agree, but many people don't share our opinion :)

Not a single one of the models are better than the sprites. That is a fact.

The animation and style of Doom's enemies are more suited to sprite-work than models. If the modeller chooses to imitate the sprite animation instead of interpreting the demons to the advantage of the model system, it will always be that the sprites will be better than the models.

The items are mostly the same way--I'd rather have a round sphere than a polygony ball for any one of the 4 artifacts.

Arioch said:

Not a single one of the models are better than the sprites. That is a fact.

Thats where the option to turn the models on or off comes in, just incase someone's 'fact' differs from your own.

You mean you want skeletal animation or IK before you buy it? Please be more specific.

I dont care if you prefer sprites or models. All I said was the updated Jdoom model pack is better than the old generations one; At least since I last saw it. I might just download it again to refresh my memory

Sometimes I like playing wiht 3Dmodels sometimes without.
If just the 3dmodels skins were a bit better though, and some of the animations could be a bit better (like the Imp in Jdoom).

I think that an important thing is that the player get's the impression that the monsters are aware of the player's precence when they are attacking. (Hope this makes some sense for the reader)

I miss that a bit with the 3Dmodels, cause they seem to be a bit ignorant of the player.

Darmuss

Arioch said:

The items are mostly the same way--I'd rather have a round sphere than a polygony ball for any one of the 4 artifacts.

Yeah, but the ammo boxes are OK :)

What I always disliked about models in the old ZDoomGL was that they were still limited to the 8 moving angles. Dunno how it's in JDoom though.

In jDoom the models can be set to interpolate between angles.

One model that I think is best in 3D is the spiders. Their walking look much better In jDoom.

I know this is Zdoom Forum so know I will shut up!

Darmuss

I think basically, the professionally made Doom sprites are better than the amateur Doom models. Maybe after Doom 3 comes out and someone ports the new Doom monster models over to JDoom or something, then that would be on equal footing, but even then I dunno.

Linguica said:

I think basically, the professionally made Doom sprites are better than the amateur Doom models

Exactly! Besides, what about of all the mods that have modified sprites. I wouldn't even think of playing those with a mixture of both sprites and models.

One thing I really like, is the shadows which is optional in the Edge engine. They are rially nice.

It seems that Timmie will maybe implement shadows in zDoomGL.

They would look good for both sprites and models.

Darmuss

I don't realy like the 3D monsters, they r not as good as the sprites.
BUT
The Items r fine with me, the 3D items look better than the sprites.
That's my optinion and as far as i read this and understood it,
there wil be only 1 button to completly turn it off/on.
:/
i'd prefer to c a button to turn on/off the 3D monsters and a different 1 to turn on/off the Items.
Or a list where in u can choose what model needs to be 3D- and witch 1 to be sprite-animated.

The jdoom monster model meshes are mostly ok, they just need to be animated better and thats it. Unfortunately the only program I know that can is Milkshape, which in my opinion is a bit poo. It could just be my experience of it, but its enough to stop me having a go..

The only models that are below par for me are the human soldier variations. Thats just basically one model with four different heads anyway, so it would be a cinch to replace ........;)

I cant see anyone porting the D3 models over though. Partly because I have no idea how to get a normal skin from a seperate color map and bump map, but mostly because of how out of place they would look in Dooms clapped out ancient architecture. The new D3 models are too much of a different style anyway.