Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lunchlunch

DBP50: Emerald City [idgames]

On 8/11/2022 at 11:09 PM, lunchlunch said:

@ViolentBeetle Knock yourself out, the resources came from various DBPs, Jumpwad, and I think a couple from OTEX, which are all fair game, tex-wise.

As for OTEX I'd prefer if you grab them from the source wad and keep patch and texture names intact, when possible. Otherwise it quickly becomes a game of telephone where the author attribution gets lost eventually, and quality may suffer due to bad palette conversions, clunky edits, etc.

Edited by ukiro

Excellent stuff. The visuals were great, it ramped up well in intensity from the earliest maps' ambience, and even the credits map gave you shit to do. My #2 fav DBP so far.

Great set of levels this time, lots of variety in gameplay and visuals too.

I guess you're not changing anything now, but near the end of phosphorwire I noticed I blew up in a place where it seemed like I was still safe, possible from a wire above me or through the pole but not sure.  My only death of the vid so I was a bit miffed.  (was playing version 1.2, I didn't see an update).  Other than that everything felt highly polished, awesome work!

1 hour ago, sandwedge said:

Great set of levels this time, lots of variety in gameplay and visuals too.

I guess you're not changing anything now, but near the end of phosphorwire I noticed I blew up in a place where it seemed like I was still safe, possible from a wire above me or through the pole but not sure.  My only death of the vid so I was a bit miffed.  (was playing version 1.2, I didn't see an update).  Other than that everything felt highly polished, awesome work!

This is fixed in the final (idgames) version. Sorry about that but thank you for playing I'm glad ya' liked it!

Edited by SuperCupcakeTactics

I just finished the WAD on HMP/pistol start. It's a masterpiece. I don't know what else to say. I haven't seen exploration this good in a long time. And combat can get quite punchy at times, particularly toward the end. I love everything about this.

Also, I've *really* got to hand it to @NoisyVelvet -- City of Fallen Angels is just.. absolutely insanely beautiful and FUN to explore! I haven't been this impressed by a map in a long time. Maybe ever.

I would kill for a version ballanced for Ashes weapon and monsters. It's playable with the replacer mods but not really ballanced and the slaughtery parts don't really work. But it fits together so well otherwise.

Almost to the end of this one, enjoyed these 2 maps before the big ending one.  Depot by lunchlunch had a fun open shipping container area and some cool lock in fights in the depots.  I also really enjoyed Wall Garden by @matador which was a really intricate, detailed level that was just fun to explore. :)

Finally closed this series out, and it ended on a high note!  Great open final level by BiZ, and cool use of optional areas for those who want them.  It always feels cool sleuthing around for optional and secret stuff at the end and it was worth discovering here.  Also fantastic credits map by segfault, the best I've seen for sure, giving you a slice of previous maps and even filling in some story flavour like an epilogue.  One of my favourite releases of the year easily, congrats everyone!

On 8/28/2022 at 2:11 PM, sandwedge said:

Finally closed this series out, and it ended on a high note!  Great open final level by BiZ, and cool use of optional areas for those who want them.  It always feels cool sleuthing around for optional and secret stuff at the end and it was worth discovering here.  Also fantastic credits map by segfault, the best I've seen for sure, giving you a slice of previous maps and even filling in some story flavour like an epilogue.  One of my favourite releases of the year easily, congrats everyone!

It was fun watching this series, thanks for playing. Glad you found all the secrets.

deserving of cacowards for sure.
i have played 13 maps so far in coop with a friend and it was a blast. (we played with D4T mod)
i would put this one even above lost civilization in terms of quality, atmosphere and design. (lost civ was already top tier.)

the only problem we encoutered was on map 14. only one player could spawn in the starting room. making the other players spawn in a closed in space with broken textures.

we finished the 14 th map with noclip to get out of the buggy area when dying.

the last map had too much monsters in it for its size. you get blocked too often in corners by a horde of demons.

Just finished this one a few moments ago. I'd like to thank you for the joy i had with this masterpiece.

32 minutes ago, Firedust said:

Map 8 sector 2152 closet is broken

Thanks for reporting.  It seems to be a Zdoom thing, but I only test in PrBoom+.  I think I saw a couple people run into the same issue too.  The monsters just... don't teleport despite crossing the lines.  Works in other targetted ports and compatibility levels.

I think the set is finalized though at this point, but thanks for bringing it up.  I volunteer to carry the sin of #BadMapper on this one.

30 minutes ago, NoisyVelvet said:

Thanks for reporting.  It seems to be a Zdoom thing, but I only test in PrBoom+.  I think I saw a couple people run into the same issue too.  The monsters just... don't teleport despite crossing the lines.  Works in other targetted ports and compatibility levels.

I think the set is finalized though at this point, but thanks for bringing it up.  I volunteer to carry the sin of #BadMapper on this one.

Damn, was hoping for a reupload once I'm done with my playthrough, but I understand why people wouldn't want to bother after all this time. Surprised the issue wasn't reported before the idgames release though.

The atmosphere is through the roof. The Doom cutes and the painstakingly detailed environments are lovely, a joy to look at.

I sense a new inductee into the Top 10. Gee, the list's getting reeeaally cramped..

I am at Map 7 and I am having a hard time stopping.

It's addicting, atmospheric, well-balanced,  compact, and stunning.

I can feel the heavy, humid air in my hair, the bugs touching my skin, and the sadness of looking at decaying buildings where once humans thrived.

Can't wait to finish it, well done!

Is this going to be re-uploaded?  I'm just now stumbling upon it and the other posts in this topic make it sound great!  ...But there's no download link.