Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pegleg

The DWIronman League dies to: Somewhere in Time

August 2022

1583734807_threadimage.png.01a7e95bca6311e740027e4d6cc56b6e.png

The yearly leader board

Standard Leaderboard

1. [1] Survived [0:31:42]: Archi - Decided to play fast. Probably spent more time doing laps cleaning up enemies than finally running to the exit. Well done.
  2. [1] Survived [0:44:46]: Veinen - Reinforcements began to arrive at the end, but they were too late to prevent the successful escape.
  3. [2] Survived [0:46:29]: Bdubzzz - The black and white of the invulnerability was supposed to offset the advantage from it. Well, it didn't stop Bdubzzz.
  4. [1] Survived [0:50:07]: Pseudonaut - One last pain elemental in the way wasn't enough to end this survival attempt.
  5. [1] Survived [0:53:25]: Luleta - Bleeding profusely with 2% health, a well-timed invulnerability and megasphere saved the day and the survival.
  6. [1] Survived [0:57:40]: LadyMistDragon - Two invulnerabilties were left unused. Sometimes that proves costly, but not here.
  7. [1] Survived [1:00:28]: BoxY - The BFG helped clear the mass of meat in front of the doorway to the exit teleporter, allowing for survival.
  8. [1] Survived [1:06:00]: Beginner - Seemingly cornered by waiting in the switch room for too long, the strategy proved to be genius, as it allowed for a smoother road to the exit.
  9. [1] Survived [1:06:20]: ginc - That last megasphere really helped alleviate some of the stress of that last run to the exit.
  10. [1] Survived [1:07:14]: Brainfreezzzzz - Was the last invulnerability necessary? Doesn't matter. Once grabbed, Doomguy beat a hasty escape.
  11. [1] Survived [1:08:27]: SCF - Made a couple laps before finding the freshly-opened doorway to salvation, and then made it count.
  12. [1] Survived [1:09:37]: Andromeda - Almost lost it at the very end amongst a swarm of cacos, pain elementals, and lost souls. But pulled it out in the end with a hail of plasma.
  13. [1] Survived [1:10:06]: KirieNatsuyoko - Seemingly untroubled by the hordes of enemies, calmly found the newly-open door and made a quick escape.
  14. [2] Survived [1:11:08]: Horus - Charging straight through the horde could have been disastrous. But it wasn't, and a survival was the reward.
  15. [1] Survived [1:11:31]: dt_ - The cacos needed to arrive to the party sooner to hope to stop this escape. But they didn't.
  16. [1] Survived [1:14:57]: Sr_Ludicolo - Saving both invulnerabilities paid off in a survival.
  17. [1] Survived [1:17:32]: antares031 - Ignoring the invulnerability at the end could have ended up in disaster, but didn't. Success was won without it.
  18. [1] Survived [1:21:03]: Vince Vega - The late-arriving cacoswarm tried, but was insufficient to block Doomguy from escaping.
  19. [1] Map 15mhrz - An ill-timed meeting with a cyberdemon rocket spelled the end of this run.
  20. [1] Map 15Asbadagba - The side street that led to the switch was easy to miss considering the laps being run to try to avoid the onslaught.
  21. [3] Map 13Katamori - A respectable showing from the author, but even being the author doesn't stop one from being launched into an inescapable pit by an archvile.
  22. [1] Map 12NoisyVelvet - A platforming fail led to being stuck in a small space for eternity.
  23. [1] Map 11SilentD00mer - Sniped by a ruthless chaingunner perched out of sight.
  24. [1] Map 10Anima Zero - Killing things is often the name of the game in Doom. Unfortunately, this time, all the killing in one place helped trigger the dreaded all ghosts bug.
  25. [1] Map 08ClumsyCryptid - Caught the corner of a wall with a rocket and decided to go back for seconds.
  26. [1] Map 07NightTerror - Care must be taken when tip-toeing near the edge of the black void.
  27. [1] Map 07NaZa - Managed to trigger the dreaded "kill the last two arachnotrons simultaneously" bug. Chose to die by his own rocket instead of spending eternity facing lost souls.
  28. [1] Map 07RHhe82 - Took a step off the edge into the black void of death.
  29. [1] Map 07RED77 - The black void of death welcomed another careless wanderer.
  30. [1] Map 06Master Medi - OK, that's an odd one. That lift was supposed to go up when you step on it. Softlocks are never fortunate events, but this one was just confusing.
  31. [1] Map 06Worriedidiot - Tried to take on an archvile face-to-face and found out why that often ends poorly.
  32. [1] Map 06Maribo - Softlocked behind an ill-placed crate. Would a rocket aid in an improbable escape? Unfortunately, no.
  33. [1] Map 04Suitepee - Who doesn't want to unexpectedly switch weapons when surrounded by enemies?
  34. [1] Map 04TheShep - Unfortunately, enemies don't block the archvile's attack.
  35. [1] Map 04Crusader No Regret - A face-first meeting with a revenant rocket when low on health generally ends poorly.
  36. [1] Map 03Peccatum Mihzamiz - The archvile can't see me, right? Wrong.
  37. [1] Map 03Rujasu - Revenant with rocket: 1 - Charging Doomguy with SSG: 0.
  38. [2] Map 03Pegleg - Doomguy: OK. I've got this. There's a soulsphere up ahead. Imp: Hi.
  39. [1] Map 03head_cannon - Despite being low on health, that was still a rude greeting from that sergeant.
  40. [1] Map 03tatsu91 - Pain elementals can ruin anyone's day.

Prepared Leaderboard

1. Survived [0:42:27]: NaZa - Took the second invulnerability when it wasn't necessary. Didn't stop Doomguy from surviving, even clearing out the last two enemies for kicks.
  2. Survived [1:57:07]: Crusader No Regret - Mad at a hit from the archvile at the beginning of the last map, and gets revenge by calmly leaving and not even bothering to kill anything on the way out.
  3. Map 15ClumsyCryptid - An inability to figure out where to go ended the run, but lots of Hellspawn went out on the way down.
  4. Map 06Pegleg - Leaving the horde of medkits and staging a last stand on the other side of the horde of enemies was a poor--and fatal--choice.

What is the Doomworld Ironman League?

The DWIronman League is a monthly competition in which participants aim to survive for as many levels as possible in the given map set, preferably in one sitting. Click the spoiler tag at the bottom of the post for a detailed list of rules. Players of all levels of ability are welcome. It could change the way you play Doom!

In August 2022, the DWIronman League dies to Somewhere in Time (-complevel 2) created by Zoltan Schmidt (AKA @Katamori). This vanilla-compatible WAD, released in 2016, was influenced by Reverie, Revolution!, and Scythe. It features a variety of themes, but they all combine to telling the story of a single combatant fighting against the forces of Hell to save their planet from the grips of the guardian.

Essential Info

• Doom II: Hell on Earth. (doom2.wad)
  • Compatibility level 2, or "Doom (strict)" for ZDoom derivative ports.
  • 15 maps (+1 credits map).
  • Time estimate: a couple of hours

> Download Somewhere in Time.

prboom-plus.exe -iwad doom2.wad -file intime.wad -deh intime.deh -complevel 2 -skill 4 -warp 01 -record demo_name.lmp

Potential Game-Stopping Softlocks and Bugs

Spoiler

• In Map 06,
    Spoiler

there is a crate that it is possible to jump behind from a higher platform. If you jump behind the crate, you may get stuck and softlocked. There is a door on the other side of the crate, and a glide is possible out of the spot, but don't count on it.

• In Map 07,
    Spoiler

if the last two arachnotrons die at the same time, you will be unable to leave the arena due to the bug with Tag 667 being triggered twice.

• In Map 12,
    Spoiler

there is a platforming section. If you miss the last jump, you may be trapped between the pillar and the wall and unable to escape from the blood pool to try again. It's not exactly a softlock because the blood is damaging, but still, you won't be able to continue. You should be able to make it through the gap between the pillar and the wall, but it's possible that you'll be stuck.

Rules:

Spoiler

• There are two competitions: Standard and Prepared:
    • To compete successfully in the Standard competition: your first play of the selected WAD(s) constitutes your one and only attempt for the month.
    • To compete successfully in the Prepared competition: your one and only attempt for the month is determined BY YOU immediately before play and may follow any prior number of active (playing the set) preparation that is strictly for practice/inspection purposes only. You cannot compete in the Standard competition after submitting a run to the Prepared competition. You may submit the first of your practice attempts to the Standard competition.
  • UV only (excepting 1CC format), continuous recording. No pistol-starting each level.
  • Demos (PrBoom+, GLBoom, Eternity or Chocolate), stream highlights and video recordings are the only accepted proofs. You must link to these runs in the thread. 
  • No additional WADs may be loaded.
  • No inspection of the WAD(s)'s content in an editor if you are submitting a Standard run.
  • No cheat codes and no features that result in behavior beyond what is possible in the intended source port (e.g. freelook, jumping and crouching in a boom set). This includes dynamic lights and brightmaps. If streaming or recording videos using an advanced source port with compatibility options, you must display these settings on-screen before your run. In ZDoom derivative ports, "Doom/Boom(strict)" will suffice.
  • If you choose to stream/record your run for video rather than provide a demo and you die before completing a single level, either on the first map of a set OR because a single level was selected for the month, you must display the number of monsters killed/remaining in the level before you quit.
  • You do not have to play the secret levels in order to register a complete run. However, a player who finishes the game having completed more secret levels than his/her competitors will rank higher than them.
  • You cannot load a game having progressed past the save point.
  • You cannot consult Doom Builder during your run to check for map details.
  • If the recording of your official run is interrupted due to technical difficulties, you are not permitted a second attempt. Any surviving recording may be used to register a DNF result.
  • Accidentally restarting a level before a death exit takes you to the tally screen will disqualify your run.
  • If you are competing in the Standard competition, you are required to affix one of three numbers to your run informing the League of your degree of familiarity with the map/set played. Note that your evaluation should only take into consideration the content covered in your run (e.g. if you remember only one part of a level in a set you haven't played before but never reach that level, you should list your run as a [1] instead of [2]):

1. This is a blind run. If I have played or watched any of the level/set being played before, I cannot remember any details that would offer a reasonable advantage over truly blind players. *
  2. This is not a blind run. I have familiarity with the set - played the level/set before, or watched it being played, and can remember some details that would offer a reasonable advantage over blind players.
  3. This is not a blind run. I have passively prepared for the competition - watched the level/set being played via stream, demo or video after it was announced as this month's challenge.

* "Reasonable" in this instance asks you to consider whether the details in question are worth committing to memory. As in, you would thank the person who gave you this information with a straight face and not expect to be laughed at for being an utter berk.

Previous threads:

Spoiler

Spoiler

07 - Jenesis (winner: Demon of the Well)

08 - Crusades (winner: Ribbiks)

09 - Nilla Doom (winner: Demon of the Well)

10 - Khorus' Speedy Shit (winner: WH-Wilou84)

11 - Perdition's Gate (winner: WH-Wilou84)

12 - UAC Ultra (winner: PjSpartacus)

Spoiler

01 - Jade Earth (winner: Demon of the Well)

02 - Legacy of Heroes (winner: Roofi)

03 - Back to Saturn X E1 (winner: dew)

04 - Mapgame (winner: ClonedPickle)

05 - Vae Victus 1 & 2 (winner: Demon of the Well)

06 - Disturbia (winner: Ancalagon)

07 - Insertion (winner: Veinen)

08 - Unholy Realms (winner: Demon of the Well)

09 - Osiris (winner: Demon of the Well)

10 - Endgame & Endpoint (winner: Veinen)

11 - Oscillation (winner: Ancalagon)

12 - Doom the Way id Did (winner: kmc)

Spoiler

01 - Combat Shock 2 (winner: Killer5)

02 - Coffee Break E1 (winner: Eris)

03 - Warlock's Hearth (winner: Demon of the Well)

04 - 50 Monsters (winner: WH-Wilou84)

05 - Double Impact (winner: RjY)

06 - Rush (winner: WH-Wilou84)

07 - The Darkening E1 & E2 (winner: Veinen)

08 - The Plutonia Experiment (winner: Zero-Master)

09 - Community Chest 4 - MAP20: Interstellar Sickness and MAP21: Shaman's Device (winner: leodoom85)

10 - Doom 64 for Doom II (winner: Roofi)

11 - TNT: Renascence & TNT: Resistance (winner: an_mutt)

12 - Ultimate Doom the Way id Did (winner: an_mutt)

Spoiler

01 - Hellfire: Dreams (winner: Beginner)

02 - THT: Threnody - MAP10: Fomalhaut (winner: Scotty)

03 - Stardate 20X6 (winner: WH-Wilou84)

04 - Base Ganymede: Complete (winner: Vince Vega)

05 - The DWIronman League died waiting for SIGIL (winner: John Romero)

06 - SIGIL (winner: leodoom85)

07 - Vanguard & Lunatic (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Pegleg)

08 - 2017 Collection (winner: an_mutt - prep winner: Vince Vega)

09 - Revolution! (winner: NaZa - prep winner: Pegleg)

10 - Monster Hunter Part I & Part II (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Pegleg)

11 - Abcess (winner: Demon of the Well - prep winner: Steve D?)

12 - Scythe (winner: Spectre01 - prep winner: Arbys550)

Spoiler

01 - Hellscape (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Archi)

02 - No Sleep for the Dead (winner: Ancalagon - prep winner: Anima Zero)

03 - Baker's Dozen (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Pegleg)

04 - Biotech is Godzilla & Occult Secrets of the Third Reich (winner: joe-ilya - prep winner: Horus)

05 - Bloody Rust (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: dt_)

06 - Vrack 1, 2 and 3 (winner: ReaperAA - prep winner: Bashe)

07 - Running Late 2 (winner: Roofi - prep winner: Pegleg)

08 - Epic (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Daerik)

09 - Hell Revealed (winner: Roofi - prep winner: Crusader No Regret)

10 - Dark Resolution 2008 (winner: Roofi - prep winner: Austinado)

11 - 2002: A Doom Odyssey: 10th Anniversary Edition Episode 3 (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Pegleg)

12 - Eviternity (winner: Daerik - prep winner: Pegleg)

Spoiler

01 - Sawdust (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Daerik)

02 - Alien Vendetta (winner: Demonologist - prep winner: Anima Zero)

03 - Criticality & Miasma (winner: Daerik - prep winner: Crusader No Regret)

04 - World Orifice (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Killer5)

05 - Violence (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: ScrappyMcDoogerton)

06 - Firebox (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: 4shockblast)

07 - Scythe 2 (winner: Arbys550 - prep winner: an_mutt)

08 - Resurgence (winner: Beginner - prep winner: Suitepee)

09 - The Eye (winner: galileo31dos01 - prep winner: an_mutt)

10 - Glaive & Glaive 2 (winner: Veinen - prep winner: Tezur0)

11 - Sunlust (winner: Daerik - prep winner: nobody)

12 - H2H-XMas (winner: Daerik - prep winner: 4shockblast)

Spoiler

01 - Realm of Shades (winner: mhrz - prep winner: Pegleg)

02 - Return to Hadron E1 (winner: NightTerror - prep winner: Maribo)

03 - Syringe (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: SCF)

04 - Jägermörder 1 and 2 (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Maribo)

05 - The Rebirth (winner: NightTerror - prep winner: NaZa)

06 - Man on the Moon (winner: Master Medi - prep winner: ginc)

07 - Vigor (winner: akolai - prep winner: SCF)

Edited by Pegleg : EDIT1: Corrected map count (16 to 15). EDIT2: Corrected month (July to August). EDIT3: Added softlocks. Added standings (S 35 and P 3). EDIT4: Added 1 participant and all obituaries. EDIT5: Added 4 participants (3 S, 1 P). EDIT6: Added 1 participant.

Category 1

Dead on MAP03

Time: 10:30

Kills: 24/44

DWIronman_Rujasu_InTime.zip

Do you enjoy watching someone meander around Doom maps, eventually running at a revenant and eating a missile like a chump? Here's the FDA for you.

WAD seems neat. I suspect I've actually seen the outdoor area in MAP01 before, somewhere.

Spoiler

doom17.png.ff1871fcce5581069cb846138cb8820f.png

Category 2 - I've played one of these maps before for some demo month or something.. funny enough i got lost in that map anyway. Survived in 46:29. Fun set to try to play fast but overall I would say I played slow/got lost a bit to much ;p

DWIronman-intime-dubz.zip

So, This is my first try on this and I'm pretty sure I've made some mistakes.

But it was so much fun.

Category 1
Dead on map 07
Time 57:27*
Kills 22/44 

*my timer was displayed only in automap and I press the bar before showing. so this is an estimate based on the real-time recording it can have a 3-second error margin (57:24-57:30). I totally understand if this disqualifies my run, but I wanna share anyways :)

The video is processing. I'll edit as soon as it's online.

EDIT:

Edited by RED77

Category 1

Survived, finished MAP15 in 1:17:32

It's been a while, since my last ironman attempt. Although there were a couple of questionable monster/item placements and texture alignment, it was a pretty fun & cute wad.

DWIronman_anta_intime.zip

Long time no participate!

Category 1

Dead on MAP07 at 50:23 (5/11 kills)

Exited MAP06 at 49:38.

Played on DSDA-Doom v0.24.0

Spoiler

- Nice wad, nothing spectacular, but might give it a non-irony UV-MAX playthrough sometime.

- High octane gameplay there on MAP03 with the platforming section, and on MAP06 when sniping some archies.

- I object to the design of MAP07.

dwIronMan_attempt_rhhe82_dsda-doom_intime.zip

Was on incredible pace (judging by others who died on the same map) and then I killed two arachnotrons at the same time. Softlocked on MAP07 at around 27 minutes, category 1. Hurts a lot considering the survival rate, but this shit happens; it's a vital part of Ironman. I'll tough it up and return stronger next month :^)  

dwironman_aug22_naza.zip

Category 1

Survived in 1:08:27

Quite a difference in difficulty compared to last month.

Spoiler

Map 15 had me worried I was going to spend too long being lost and end up drowning in monsters. All the fake doors and lifts didn't help either. But thankfully the map just ended and I didn't have to fight the icon of sin.

DWIL_22-08-intime_SCF.zip

Here's me back sooner than expected because, for the Prepared Leaderboard (it's honestly really just a second run, no preparation), I survived in 42:27. Ouch.

Spoiler

Incredibly easy, I think this is on par with Elegy from Ironeagle. Absolutely nothing is difficult, I expect a 75% survival rate. I was somewhat close to death in one of the first six maps but otherwise it was really smooth. I even went more aggressively than I usually do.

Yearly leaderboard has also been updated. The top 8 stays the same, though Maribo and Beginner marginally cut into Bdubzzz's lead. Anima and myself are incredibly close, but due to my result here, I doubt I'll stay in the top 5 this month. Pseudonaut falls out of the Top 10 giving ginc 9th, while Vince Vega enters the Top 10.

What's odd and interesting to note is that among the Top 15 players there's 4 last place finishes - 2 of which are Pseudonaut - which accounts for more than half of the challenges this year. 

Category 1 finished (map15) in 44:46.

Tried to play fast, which moderately well I guess. Backfired a bit in a few maps where I just got confused and lost due to not paying enough attention in certain areas. Last map had me sweating a bit until I finally found the way.

DWIronman_Intime_Veinen.zip

Cat 1: Blind

Survived? No, made it to map 8 will try again in a couple of hours.
12/32 kills
Dual-facerocket on Map 8.. I didn't see that specter.

Escaped out of a potential softlock on map 6 with a glide... I still don't know how it works or how to do it but I did it; I was almost certain that I was going to have to end it there. Made it to Map 8, questioned the ominous presence in the map and rocketed a close quarters specter twice.

I'm doing this again.. from the top. Video can be viewed below when it is done processing.

Edited by ClumsyCryptid : I forgot my category... Damnit, and the kills.

Category 1, Survived in 67:14. Never heard of wad before.

First Ironman run I participated and went a lot better than expected, did live on twitch but I have the video processing on YouTube right now where you can actually hear my voice (didn't set up the twitch stream correctly and you couldn't hear me), will edit on once its finished.

Ironman_INTIME_Brainfreezzzzz.zip

Edited by Brainfreezzzzz : Video

Cat 1, survived in 1:00:28

Wasted a ton of time trying to figure out how map06 works so I tried to play the second half of the wad a bit faster to compensate.

dwim-bx-intime.zip

boo, yuh

Category 01: Survived in 57:40 (or was it 58)

Some notes

Map 13 took the switch curse to ridiculous extremes.

The difficulty remained shockingly consistent throughout.

Maybe the last surprise Arch-vile was a little too random but I largely liked their placements.

Spoiler

That's a nasty trap at the end of Map 04. Good thing I sort of expected something near the exit(the teleporter being one way), possibly the only case where that's true. It seems like something that might kill far more people.

lmd_tymeriron.zip

Edited by LadyMistDragon

2 minutes ago, tatsu91 said:

Is it allowed to run this on Prboom-RT as its the one i mainly use now Besides GZdoom

Any doom port works. I used to use GZDoom, and now I use Prboom.

1 hour ago, ClumsyCryptid said:

Any doom port works. I used to use GZDoom, and now I use Prboom.

Was not sure if PRBoom RT Port was fine enough as i dont think the ray tracing changes anything besides visuals and making it darker

1 minute ago, tatsu91 said:

Was not sure if PRBoom RT Port was fine enough as i dont think the ray tracing changes anything besides visuals and making it darker

I don't have a card that supports ray tracing so I don't know how to answer this.

1 hour ago, ClumsyCryptid said:

I don't have a card that supports ray tracing so I don't know how to answer this.

Ill Run it for fun either way then i guess its up to OP.

On 8/1/2022 at 10:49 AM, RED77 said:

Time 57:27*
Kills 22/44 

*my timer was displayed only in automap and I press the bar before showing. so this is an estimate based on the real-time recording it can have a 3-second error margin (57:24-57:30). I totally understand if this disqualifies my run, but I wanna share anyways :)

That wouldn't disqualify your run. Thanks for sharing, and I hope you enjoyed yourself.

3 hours ago, tatsu91 said:

I wasn't too familiar with PrBoom+RT, but looking at it briefly, it seems to be mostly an aesthetic mod. There is a rule about playing with features not available in the original port, and dynamic lights are included as an example . That being said, from what I can tell, the maps are generally much, much darker than they would normally be, so I'm not sure how much of advantage the ray tracing and dynamic lights conveys. Either way, it's against the rules, but it will be OK this time. In future months don't use PrBoom+RT, or the run will be disqualified.

Here is my prepared run.

8/11 kills

I got to Map 15 and did not survive. I couldn't figure out how the map worked and slowly circled around until I died, but I died fighting. 1:00:35 is my total time.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1551652670

I streamed it on Twitch to a few friends who are amazed by my growing skills in Doom 2. I did venture around in the settings just to change the render mode from 8-bit to 32-bit before starting the run.

Recorded this a few days ago, and completely forgot about it until now. Thought I'd follow through with my mention of doing a prepared run for this set, it's a fun little set.

Edited by ClumsyCryptid : Forgot my kills.

Category 1. Survived in 1:06:20.

Spoiler

A pretty forgiving WAD, although getting lost in the final map and not figuring out where to go is certain death. I used both invulns before I figured it out.

It plays pretty smooth, but I was a bit bored at times and progression was a bit weird on some maps.

For those who watch this video, prepare for extremely loud guitar MIDIs - Arachno's overdrive guitar is notably loud and this WAD's MIDIs use it a lot.

Edited by ginc