Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
scalliano

Scientists prove that AAA gaming sucks.

On 8/3/2022 at 10:02 AM, QuaketallicA said:

Honestly I disagree with this sentiment.

Doom Eternal

Mortal Kombat X and 11

Injustice 2

Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order

Titanfall 2

Tomb Raider games since 2013 reboot.

Wolfenstein reboots (i.e. TNO, TNC, etc.)

Lots of fantastic, incredible games to come out in recent years. These are just the ones I've played.

Let's not conflate AAA gaming with "modern" gaming - all of those games you cited are high-production value and have (mostly) modern mechanics, yes, but they are still self-contained titles that can be enjoyed for what they are without resorting to manipulative addiction loops (microtransactions where applicable notwithstanding).

2 hours ago, Rudolph said:

But those are not mods, right? Or do they technically count as such because of their custom textures and tracks?

They technically count as mods because they are third-party content that modifies the game.

4 hours ago, scalliano said:

Let's not conflate AAA gaming with "modern" gaming - all of those games you cited are high-production value and have (mostly) modern mechanics, yes, but they are still self-contained titles that can be enjoyed for what they are without resorting to manipulative addiction loops (microtransactions where applicable notwithstanding).

Does "AAA" not mean recent games with big, well-known brand names and huge production values, designed and produced by the biggest companies in the industry? Am I wrong there? What do you call a AAA game then, if not that?

8 hours ago, scalliano said:

Let's not conflate AAA gaming with "modern" gaming

They're multi-million dollar games by massive publishing corporations with staff counts in the hundreds (probably thousands once you factor in publishing staff). Just because you like them doesn't magically make them not AAA.

Edited by Kinsie

There's an official system for this stuff, do you guys even read?

F - Free mobile calculator app on Android

D - $9.99 calculator app on Switch

C - "I made a game and four of my friends bought it, here's a link to it on Steam"

B - Indie game

A - This rank doesn't actually exist

AA - "We spent all the money on graphics but the gameplay exists and the game tells a very evocative story influenced by the greatest storytellers of all time in less than four hours"

AAA - Microtransactions, DLC, Live-service, derivative gameplay, lootboxes, etc.

AAAA - "Sir, when you publish the article about our game, could you please add an extra A?"

S - "I like this game"

SSS - "I like this game AND it came out before 2000! *ascends into a state of perpetual bliss*"

5 minutes ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

There's an official system for this stuff, do you guys even read?

F - Free mobile calculator app on Android

D - $9.99 calculator app on Switch

C - "I made a game and four of my friends bought it, here's a link to it on Steam"

B - Indie game

A - This rank doesn't actually exist

AA - "We spent all the money on graphics but the gameplay exists and the game tells a very evocative story influenced by the greatest storytellers of all time in less than four hours"

AAA - Microtransactions, DLC, Live-service, derivative gameplay, lootboxes, etc.

AAAA - "Sir, when you publish the article about our game, could you please add an extra A?"

S - "I like this game"

SSS - "I like this game AND it came out before 2000! *ascends into a state of perpetual bliss*"

æææ gaming - Deteriorative Gameplay

12 hours ago, Kinsie said:

They're multi-million dollar games by massive publishing corporations with staff counts in the hundreds (probably thousands once you factor in publishing staff). Just because you like them doesn't magically make them not AAA.

Well, the new Tomb Raider games really aren't my bag, so...

I find it funny that we are still calling the last Tomb Raider trilogy "new" when the first game came out almost a decade ago, in 2013! :P

Also, there are words of another Tomb Raider reboot in the works.

2 hours ago, Rudolph said:

I find it funny that we are still calling the last Tomb Raider trilogy "new" when the first game came out almost a decade ago, in 2013! :P

Also, there are words of another Tomb Raider reboot in the works.

Well, Squeenix recently sold the IP and studio, along with a boatload of others for pennies on the dollar to Embracer, so it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility.

So they could invest in NFT's. I'm sure it was a well thought out business decision.

We might finally get a new Legacy of Kain since Square Enix sold the property in order to be able to purchase gifs of twerking gorillas.

Spoiler

Okay, that sentence alone should be proof enough that the industry has gone to shit.

13 hours ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

We might finally get a new Legacy of Kain since Square Enix sold the property in order to be able to purchase gifs of twerking gorillas.

Hide contents

Okay, that sentence alone should be proof enough that the industry has gone to shit.

What a time to be alive!

On 8/6/2022 at 5:23 AM, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

Reveal hidden contents

But NFT's make games so much better!  Nothing enhances a game like superficial garbage you'll never get any kind of return on.  

On 8/6/2022 at 6:23 PM, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

Reveal hidden contents

Ain't just gaming, breh: using planet-melting technology to produce vague concepts of ownership themed around an artwork that explicitly criticised planet-draining technology is pretty on brand for late capitalism.

31 minutes ago, Daytime Waitress said:

planet-melting technology to produce vague concepts of ownership themed around an artwork that explicitly criticised planet-draining technology

I only played like two hours of FFVII, is that really what the plot was about all along?

4 hours ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

I only played like two hours of FFVII, is that really what the plot was about all along?

That game you start out assisting an eco-terrorist group? Yes.

There's a fair bit of extraterrestrial/magical bollocks on top of it, but "preserving the Earth" is rather a large element of it all.