Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CoolerDoomeR

World War 2 GI Re-Release worth playing?

It’s not worth buying. It’s just not a very good game. It has impressive level design given the subject matter, but it should’ve just been a free downloadable Duke Nukem 3D Total Conversion TC, because that’s essentially what it is. The enemies will kill you very quickly to the point it is nearly unfair compared to other games on the BUILD engine. It has a fairly good selection of WW2 weapons, but the animations are hit and miss. If that’s enough to interests you in checking it out, I will just regurgitate the following.. it’s not worth buying. Is it worth playing? You be the judge, but I would say yes if WW2 interests you and you want what the developers imagined as a combat sim, but no if you are just looking for a shooter to have fun with for long periods of time.

This one's definitely not worth buying. Avoid at all costs! Same for NAM, essentially.

Somehow the makers of these games managed to emphasize the worst aspects of the Duke Nukem game engine in their games to virtually render them unplayable.

10 minutes ago, 7Mahonin said:

It’s not worth buying. It’s just not a very good game. It has impressive level design given the subject matter, but it should’ve just been a free downloadable Duke Nukem 3D Total Conversion TC, because that’s essentially what it is. The enemies will kill you very quickly to the point it is nearly unfair compared to other games on the BUILD engine. It has a fairly good selection of WW2 weapons, but the animations are hit and miss. If that’s enough to interests you in checking it out, I will just regurgitate the following.. it’s not worth buying. Is it worth playing? You be the judge, but I would say yes if WW2 interests you and you want what the developers imagined as a combat sim, but no if you are just looking for a shooter to have fun with for long periods of time.

6 minutes ago, Graf Zahl said:

This one's definitely not worth buying. Avoid at all costs! Same for NAM, essentially.

Somehow the makers of these games managed to emphasize the worst aspects of the Duke Nukem game engine in their games to virtually render them unplayable.

So, i will not buy it.

Do you know some good build engine games for playing it right now?(I already played Duke Nukem 3D, Redneck Rampage and Blood)

It's an interesting piece of history as the origin of the EDuke standard that all the cool Duke mods use nowadays, but as an enjoyable standalone entertainment product there are better ways to burn $5-7 (sale depending).

1 minute ago, CoolerDoomeR said:

Do you know some good build engine games for playing it right now?(I already played Duke Nukem 3D, Redneck Rampage and Blood

Ion fury is pretty good. I'd recommend it for the asking price.

16 minutes ago, CoolerDoomeR said:

(I already played Duke Nukem 3D, Redneck Rampage and Blood)

Try to get the DN3D expansions if you haven't yet. Aside from that, there's also Shadow Warrior and Powerslave/Exhumed, but that's pretty much it. The remaining Build games (i.e. Witchaven and TekWar) are also very high on the shit scale.

i enjoy and have fun experiencing tekwar. and witchaven is an outstanding game in comparison to tekwar. please note that i also like bubsy 3d
can't quite say i enjoy nam or wwii gi, but don't let that stop you.

37 minutes ago, heliumlamb said:

and witchaven is an outstanding game in comparison to tekwar.

The operative term being "in comparison to". >D

Yes, it surely is the "best of the rest", but in terms of absolute quality that doesn't say much.

1 hour ago, Graf Zahl said:

The operative term being "in comparison to". >D

Yes, it surely is the "best of the rest", but in terms of absolute quality that doesn't say much.

it would be fair to consider this phenomena the kusoge enjoyer's theory of relativity.

8 hours ago, CoolerDoomeR said:

Do you know some good build engine games for playing it right now?(I already played Duke Nukem 3D, Redneck Rampage and Blood)

I'll second the Duke Nukem expansions, Life's A Beach especially, for though it's mainly just DN3D gameplay with a reskin, the levels are really damn good and the tropical vacation reskin is genuinely well done and incredibly charming.

I personally hate Nuclear Winter, like, a lot, but some enjoy it.

For more games, you've got Powerslave and Shadow Warrior.

WWII GI is amongst the worst Build engine games ever made. Everyone scolds NAM (made by the same devs as WWII GI) for being awful, but WWII GI is somehow even worse. The only reason you'd ever want to play it is if you're deliberately wanting to play crap games.

Instead, go play Shadow Warrior or the Duke Nukem 3D expansion packs.