Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
silverDrinker

Help on creative inspiration

I wanna make a map for doom but inspiration is a little thin so i was just wondering if there were ways to get around that and or if there are places or people to help with the creative side of things

The best advice I could give you is to play other wads. See what you like and draw inspiration from them ( not outright steal, of course). See what you like about a megawad/mapset/map. Inspiration can come from the unlikeliest of places.

These days I like to draw some of the layout on paper to get the creative juices flowing. Even if you have a small idea of a starting area, drawing it will let you get in that mood to map, and help ideas flow easier.  It's especially helpful when speedmapping.

Just don't forget to have fun. Don't force yourself to map when you lack ideas or not know what to do next. Good luck on making your map :D 

1 hour ago, Silent Wolf said:

The best advice I could give you is to play other wads. See what you like and draw inspiration from them ( not outright steal, of course). See what you like about a megawad/mapset/map. Inspiration can come from the unlikeliest of places.

These days I like to draw some of the layout on paper to get the creative juices flowing. Even if you have a small idea of a starting area, drawing it will let you get in that mood to map, and help ideas flow easier.  It's especially helpful when speedmapping.

Just don't forget to have fun. Don't force yourself to map when you lack ideas or not know what to do next. Good luck on making your map :D 

Thank you! I'll try and get some free time to play some other peoples maps and figue something out

It might be of help to draw rough sketches of your potential map in graph paper, just think of it as guidelines for your actual map.

Unfortunately the best way to get rid of mapper's blocks (and any creative block) is to mentally brute force your way out of it by opening the editor and start drawing lines, it's not pleasant but it's the best way to get rid of it faster than just waiting for it to "wear off".

Like Silent wolf said just play other wads. It helped me with my mapping/creativity block. 

If you ask me personally: Play around the map editor and figure out what you want and don't want. If you want something fun and dumb to play to help unblock the mental mapping/creativity block here's my dumb shovelware wad i made a while back. 

Hope that helps get you an idea of what you want in your map. Remember this was an inspiration from playing shovel ware wads from the 90's.  

I have the same issue, but what helps is playing other wads and get inspired. Or play something else instead. I have the same with music, I can make 3 tunes a week and sometimes I make 1 tune in 2 months.