Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sonikkumania

Your favourite sound in Doom

Pinky's death sound, that snarl and thud combo is brilliant, even if it doesn't quite sync with the animation. A close second would be the revenant's sight sound. I know it's kind of a meme at this point, but it used to creep me out as a kid. Actually all the monsters have really good sight and death sounds. The baron of hell dying reminds me of Neo's digital scream when the mirror goes down his throat in the Matrix.

SSG blast, that thing is a warmonger's ASMR, especially when coupled with one or more imps croaking. The arachnotron's buzz as it keels over is pretty satisfying too. 

The horrific scream from the Arch Vile when it is hurt.

Arch Vile death is great. SSG going boom is great. But there's just something about BFGing a caco cloud and hearing them all drop that is so satisfying.

My favourite sounds from Doom?

1) All of Aubrey Hodges PSX/64 Doom sfx

2) That damn Archvile laugh

3) The Cacodemon death sound/gargle/clown farting into trombone

Click-clack sound from picking up the shotgun and the baron's welcome roar/trumpet. Pinkie death splat/thud sounds awesome also.

Cacodemon is my favourite enemy, and their hissing when they wake up is my favourite sound. Can’t explain why.

5 hours ago, ShallowB said:

The Hellknight death sound.  Especially if you can get two or three at once!

i, too, love the "AGUA"

28 minutes ago, MattFright said:

i, too, love the "AGUA"

I always thought they said ”AURORA” :P

6 hours ago, ShallowB said:

The Hellknight death sound.  Especially if you can get two or three at once!

You have to see the scene in 0:31,

The thud of your fist donking a pinkie demon in the face, followed by their death sound.

My favourite Doom sounds are the deaths of former humans, especially DSPODTH3 (the one that is a human scream and not a camel sound).

Another is Pain Elemental pain sound DSPEPAIN: feels like hitting a pumpkin with a rabbit inside, satisfying and pitiful at the same time.

My first experience with Doom sounds was with v 1.2 (IIRC), the last one to feature variable sound pitches. It created a very strange effect, which contributes to the fond memories I have of the first Doom playthroughs.

Edited by Book Lord

I've always been partial to the weapon pickup sound.

But all the sounds rock.

19 minutes ago, Book Lord said:

My first experience with Doom sounds was with v 1.2 (IIRC), the last one to feature variable sound pitches. It created a very strange effect, which contributes to the fond memories I have of the first Doom playthroughs.

I remember that too! It gave more "life" to the action, so to speak.

29 minutes ago, Sonikkumania said:

I remember that too! It gave more "life" to the action, so to speak.

As I learned from the wiki, the variable pitches feature inadvertently disappeared in later versions of the engine. Id did not mean to cancel the feature, they somehow forgot to carry it onto the next version. 

One of the most underrated is the zombie man et al wake/breathing sound. It was scary when I was young! Impressive for such a weak monster.

I think the strangest is the revenant awake sound. I am not sure what sound a roaming, giant, rocket launcher equipped skeleton should make, but I don't think it is that.

The high-pitched zombie death scream

SSG blast, especially when followed by a dying Arachnotron

PSX chaingun fire

PSX gibbing

All sounds that the Revenant makes

classic rocket launcher sound for sure

followed by ssg shot and plasmagun firing sound