Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Obsidian

Abyssal Speedmapping Session 68 - The Rear End is Nigh!!!

40 minutes ago, Ravendesk said:

Where can I read about the rules of ASS and the conditions to participate?

As indicated in the OP, a link to the discord server will appear closer to the time. Generally, most if not all participants will be in a discord call - you're not required to do so but it makes it a faaaar more enjoyable session when you do. From here the rules of the session (which restrictions apply, which assets to use etc) will be announced and then you'll have 2 hours to crank out a lil map under the aforementioned conditions. 👍

Just now, Dragonfly said:

As indicated in the OP, a link to the discord server will appear closer to the time. Generally, most if not all participants will be in a discord call - you're not required to do so but it makes it a faaaar more enjoyable session when you do. From here the rules of the session (which restrictions apply, which assets to use etc) will be announced and then you'll have 2 hours to crank out a lil map under the aforementioned conditions. 👍

Thanks, I was mostly wondering about how much time would I have.

Day off work so I'll try and be there.

At the cost of sounding like an ASS though, since we're near the end, could we try and be a bit less... generic with the prompts? At least compared to the last couple of sessions? 'Make the map limit removing' or 'x number of sectors / linedefs / monsters' isn't exactly... inspiring, if you catch my drift. Let's be wild and go out with a bang.

Edited by Thelokk

Eep, it's my penultimate chance to catch an ASS!

I'll make sure to partake in this one.

7 hours ago, Ravendesk said:

Thanks, I was mostly wondering about how much time would I have.

Yea like Dragonfly said, mapping takes place over the course of 2 hours each session.  The person running that particular session will drop the resource pack at the top of the hour and everyone has 15 minutes to browse it to see if anything sparks their imagination, then the person running will drop the map themes/constraints and mapping starts.  There is an extra 15 minutes after the 2 hours of mapping that is intended for testing and bugfixing, but some folks do that all throughout the session and use that time to put finishing touches on the map instead.  After that, though, mapping is over.  Some folks stick around to test each other's maps after, but other than that, that's what you can expect from joining a session!

Edited by Annunakitty

6 hours ago, Thelokk said:

Day off work so I'll try and be there.

At the cost of sounding like an ASS though, since we're near the end, could we try and be a bit less... generic with the prompts? At least compared to the last couple of sessions? 'Make the map limit removing' or 'x number of sectors / linedefs / monsters' isn't exactly... inspiring, if you catch my drift. Let's be wild and go out with a bang.

We distinctly went with classic restrictive themes intentionally for 67.

Fear not, we got a few tricks up our sleeves for the final sessions.

And remember, suggestions for session themes are very much welcome! Feel free to drop some in here.

I have to get at least one map in the stink. I'll clear my calendar!

5 hours ago, Obsidian said:

And remember, suggestions for session themes are very much welcome! Feel free to drop some in here.

What about poop maps? Maps set in uh... poop

33 minutes ago, marxr said:

Can i join?

Sure you can! You don't even need a Discord account, the themes will be cross-posted to here when the mapping starts.

Time to try something new and far from vanilla mapping for while because visplane limit :v

IT'S ASS TIME

-All 6 keys utilized

-Heavy usage of the circle tool

Good luck everyone, and happy mapping!

time up! submit your asses!

(or take 15 minutes for playtesting since I forgot to post 15 minutes ago)

Done (2 hours)

Themes: 6 keys; Circle Tool Abuse; Quake Textures

Name: Left Buttcheek of the Forbidden One

Playable: ? dunno I put some health in there and stuff. (edit: oh those cybers are not supposed to wake up like that... oh well)

noisy_abyspe68_m1.zip

noisy_abyspe68_m1_v2.zip

Added music; fixed cyberdemons.

Song: Builders Will Help You Here (Lemmings)

unknown.png

Edited by NoisyVelvet

I was testing my map with IDKFA and forgot to place the frickin' Red and Blue Keycards, so my map's invalid.

It was fun to sit-in, tho! Thanks for hosting.

4 minutes ago, Rancid Sam said:

I was testing my map with IDKFA and forgot to place the frickin' Red and Blue Keycards, so my map's invalid.

It was fun to sit-in, tho! Thanks for hosting.

Nah I'm sure it's valid.  Can't speak on behalf of the organizers per se, but if your map isn't a dumpster fire, you didn't do it right.

THIRD THEME TIME

-Walking simulator (no monsters, just puzzles and atmosphere :D)

Your two hours of mapping starts now!