Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DOEL

WADs with Plutonia-esque combat

I really like the combat puzzles of Plutonia, there are Plutonia 2 and Plutonia Revisited Community Project of course plus the higher difficulty Ribbicks repertoire Sunlust, Stardate 20X6 and 20X7, etc.

Are there any other Plutonia-esque WADs out there that carry this torch?

For me Plutonia is a proof of concept for the essence of Doom, overcoming encounters with skill, tactics, and strategy.

EDIT: Also if a WAD has co-op monsters and stuff that's a huge plus for me I love Solo-net/UV+

Edited by DOEL

Cydonia, Ozonia are direct Plutonia tribute projects.

50 monsters, Crumpets and Mutabor might come close if you're seeking for minimalist combat designs.

Death-Destiny maps and Paul977 maps aren't really Plutonia-esque but since you mentioned Ribbiks maps, I'd recommend them.

9 minutes ago, Faceman2000 said:

Plutonia 3: Going to Surface has everything you’re looking for.

I'm a Plutonia 7 man myself 

3 minutes ago, Azure_Horror said:

Arguably, Sunlust on HNTR counts.

The maps I have played on HNTR gave a very Plutonian feeling.

The fact that Sunlust on HNTR is equivalent to Plutonia on UV just goes to show how intense that wad is.

I love Sunlust btw, that's definitely a plus, not a minus.

If you like Ozonia then you may want to check the author's other releases, Moonblood and Exomoon, the latter brings custom bestiary so keep that in mind.

There is Urania and Adonis by the same person -- the former is older and it's perhaps best played on HNTR, since the core design is big convoluted maps with multiple tactical challenges at once, which may feel too abrasive if trying to speed up things, and the latter is the sequel, more advanced and "friendlier". 

Cannonball has made several maps inspired/influenced by plutonia in the past, so you may like his stuff. He's currently developing Atomic, worth a look. 

Actinia is somewhat recent, I can recommend.