Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
holaareola

John Carmack podcast

It's extraordinarily long, but from the vid segments I can see there's a couple of hours on id software in there: 

Always a joy to listen to my favourite ultra-powered Nerd God enthusiastically reminisce and talk about things that fascinate and excite him. :^)

53 minutes ago, DeathWalkerGT said:

Oh...my...my...

The Legend himself.

Indeed. Lex is awesome! 😏

Mmheerm!

Found this bit where JC is talking about the origins of Wolf3d being in one simple but dramatic change of perspective (har har) really interesting. Apparently quite a bit of the code was reused from catacombs. I suppose it's not that surprising given Wolfenstein is, what, 2.1D. But still cool that you can chain a game basically like below to a different renderer and so viscerally change the experience.

catacomb5.png

I totally disagree with interviewer about Wolf3d being one of the greatest games though. Carmack mentions game feel earlier, and although I was as amazed as everyone else on first contact, I don't think Wolf3d carries it on that count.

Such passion when he speaks. I didn’t know John Carmack was such a loquacious guy. It almost feels like he exhausted the interviewer. ^^

Also he mentions "Minecraft" several times during the interview. Seems like Minecraft has a few things in common with Doom, like the modularity for instance. 

From what I understand John Carmack expressed the idea that he and his Team had reached a limit in creativity with Wolfenstein 3D. Whereas with games like Doom and Minecraft there's:

There’s kind of a Turing completeness level of design freedom that you get in games… (at "2:30:28") 

That's his way of explaining why there's still new Doom content released today ("at 2:31"). 

That was a quality interview, thanks. 

Edited by CrocMagnum

20 hours ago, CrocMagnum said:

Such passion when he speaks. I didn’t know John Carmack was such a loquacious guy. It almost feels like he exhausted the interviewer. ^^

Also he mentions "Minecraft" several times during the interview. Seems like Minecraft has a few things in common with Doom, like the modularity for instance. 

From what I understand John Carmack expressed the idea that he and his Team had reached a limit in creativity with Wolfenstein 3D. Whereas with games like Doom and Minecraft there's:

That's his way of explaining why there's still new Doom content released today ("at 2:31"). 

That was a quality interview, thanks. 

Die Hard Wolf3D Forums - What is / are the best Wolfenstein 3D mod(s) of all time?

1 hour ago, Master O said:

I suppose your post means you disagree with Carmack assessment that id Software had hit "a creative wall" with the Wolfenstein engine, right? 

Quite frankly I'm not very knowledgeable with Wolfenstein and it's modding, so don't hesitate to educate me. *wink*

Though seeing the link you provided, and doing a basic search^^, I can clearly see that the custom content dedicated to Wolfenstein is quite substantial. 

Edited by CrocMagnum

Looking at the length of this, this is going to the 'podcasts to listen to while going to sleep' list.

3 hours ago, CrocMagnum said:

I suppose your post means you disagree with Carmack assessment that id Software had hit "a creative wall" with the Wolfenstein engine, right? 

Quite frankly I'm not very knowledgeable with Wolfenstein and it's modding, so don't hesitate to educate me. *wink*

Though seeing the link you provided, and doing a basic search^^, I can clearly see that the custom content dedicated to Wolfenstein is quite substantial. 

I was merely disagreeing with the fact that some people think that Wolf3D does not have any new content or mods.  On the contrary, there is plenty of it.

You'll also find https://www.gog.com/forum/wolfenstein_series/helpful_wolfenstein_3d_sourceport_and_discord_links useful as well, especially the Wolf3D Discord channel.

47 minutes ago, DeathWalkerGT said:

I was referring to John but

But to you I shall refer as follows:

Spoiler

CRUDUX CRUO!! 

What an enjoyable interview. Like @Biodegradable said, it was great to hear John go off on those topics so enthusiastically, he was really affirmative in how he expressed his opinions and perspectives as well. The host was also really really competent in both keeping up with the subjects at hand and in how he guided the conversation. Great share @holaareola!