Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Stealthy Ivan

Best new Monster!!?

Heh Massmouth is in Skulltag.

Anyway, Joel. Many good sprites have come from models.. Like Michael Niggel's sprite were very nice, and the sprites in Millennium by Zaldron was very very nice. and I also find my own 3d modeled sprites pretty good.. But it's a matter of doing much retouching after the actual rendering. Get rid of black outerlines (I need AA or it looks like shit imo) also converting to colorpallette of Doom. It's alot of work. but if you are good at it and are pedant, it's worth it. Always good to make sure the colors you choose for the model are represented in the colorpal of course..

Ebola, was it you that did those grey imps wearing the gold body jewelery in "Phobia" or did someone do them for you? A simple idea, but very effective. I thought they looked great. (Nothing to do with sprites from models or anything). A real touch of class though.

And yes, Zaldron's sprites for Millennium need to see the light of day. They were/are fantastic.

Using original doom behavior, hacked around with via dehacked, I'd go with Biffy's suggestion of Uraeusis from "Chosen" as being one of the most original monsters based on squeezing something new out of the existing doom code pointers. Although, the Anubis warriors, and to be fair, pretty much all the sprites in that mod look fantastic. Mind you, the vampire in LWM's "Crushed" mod uses a cunning combination of dehacked and scripting to create a totally new line-of-sight attack - if I understand the script correctly.

kristus said:

Heh Massmouth is in Skulltag.

Anyway, Joel. Many good sprites have come from models.. Like Michael Niggel's sprite were very nice, and the sprites in Millennium by Zaldron was very very nice. and I also find my own 3d modeled sprites pretty good.. But it's a matter of doing much retouching after the actual rendering. Get rid of black outerlines (I need AA or it looks like shit imo) also converting to colorpallette of Doom. It's alot of work. but if you are good at it and are pedant, it's worth it. Always good to make sure the colors you choose for the model are represented in the colorpal of course..

You're right, bad choice of words on my part.

What I meant was stealing resources from games with models like Half-Life and Quake is never a good idea because of differences in resolution, color depth and all that crap. I've never seen it done well, and Massmouth is no different.

Enjay: nah I made them, I originally made them for Eternity, but Quasar didn't want them.

Joel: well I can't argue with that.

The Reverend Julian said:

Millennium's Boss

Hey, speaking of which, what ever happened to Millenium? I know Lüt gave up and passed on the duties to someone else (wasn't it Dashiva??), but I'd hate to see all that hard work go to waste.

I've said it a million times and I will say it a million more: A couple maps in Millenium have rooms that I actually designed. Back in the day Lüt and I used to work together making maps. Usually I'd come up with a concept and design one room based on it, then he'd take it and build an entire level around it. One such level is "The Subway." There was another one that I never titled, but you start on a high ledge in a large room with three paths to choose from (I just named the file "play.wad").

I also made a really cool graveyard scene in a level that he finished and called "Cryptic Slaughter" (kudos to anyone who remembers the band of the same name!), but that appeared in an old Doom episode we collaborated on entitled "The Ticket to Hell," which I have also rambled about sufficiently in other posts.

Yeah I know... I'm all talk, but that's because all of this stuff was created so long ago and I don't even live at home anymore, so if there is any proof left it's at Lüt's, and that means it's in the abyss (storage you fool).

EDIT:

Oh yeah, my favorite boss? I can't think of one, but my favorite enemy was the flying butt that shot out turds (it replaced the cacodemon) in Lüt's classic level entitled "The Butt Den." Hehe, how many of you have played that??

I worked with what I had. I'm not a sprite artist, or any sort of graphics artist for that matter, nor did/do I want to spend countless hours retouching and fixing etc etc of the large number of sprites I worked with mainly because I find that boring and tedious and completly unfun, thus defeating the entire purpose of editing for me.

More people had problems with the wall pushing sound than the oof tho, actually. The bats' attack sound is rather blaring too, and the bats are already annoying enough in their own right (on top of being in a level where you can't see very much), which only adds to the horror of the experience. I'd say roughly 95% of the complaints I got about massmouth were about the bats. Also I recorded all the sounds on my old machine with a shitty mic (probably cost around two dollars) which I'm sure didn't contribute much to things.

I dunno I never had any problems with the voice acting tho, in fact I quite liked how I did it. I don't really talk like the worm you know :P (obviously I added some reverb to the sounds, but there was still acting involved).

Yeah so anyways, I had fun making it, and a couple people seem to like it, which is cool, always a plus. For those interested (obviously not Joel or Ebola tho eheh), since it got brought up and all, I'm working on a second one (well not atm due to school) which will essentially be the same deal of a few fairly small maps of the same style with what so far (I think anyway) are some pretty neat effects and scripts, only this time it'll be bigger and have more neat stuff as well as more jokes.

kristus said:

Cyb: It was brought down by it's hype.

There was hype? Why was I not informed!

You should remember me, Cyb. I'm the one who really tripped out on Massmouth, I was so impressed that I started to learn zdoom scripting then and there. Also, I complained to you about the spelling mistakes in some scripts which ticked me off...it knocked me out of my trip, so to speak. :)

I still will do any spell checking for you. :P

Vominus said:

Hey, speaking of which, what ever happened to Millenium?

o_O

Haven't you been reading the other forums at all? Heh.

Cyb said:

There was hype? Why was I not informed!

hehe. BTW I finally got round to playing zort09.wad - very nice =)

pritch said:

hehe. BTW I finally got round to playing zort09.wad - very nice =)

why thank you kind sir :D

I like those snake guys though I have a minor gripe about them.

When viewing them from the side you have to aim a bit behind their body (in thin air) in order to hit them correctly. This is slightly annoying.

Silly answer: the demons in Lamedoom, whose death sound is "ROFLMAO".

Sensible answer: Hmmm... quite a few that I thought worked well, but nothing that I found really stunning. Something from Hacx maybe: the funny big spider thing or the Terminatrix.