Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BrutalBlam

How can I make a PWAD that changes sprites?

Greetings, once again, people of Doomworld. I would like to create a PWAD that changes some of Doom's sprites and sounds, but I have no clue how to do that without saving it to an IWAD, but then I wouldn't legally be able to distribute it. How can I do this with a PWAD?

Almost all modern sourceports for Doom will properly load PWADs with replacement sprites/sounds/etc. without any further work on the player's part. The only exception to this I know of is Chocolate Doom, which requires the player to use a specific command line parameter when loading PWADs with replacement sprites (I think it's "-merge", but I'm not 100% on it).

Really, the only trouble that you'd run into is if a person attempts to play your PWAD using the original executable, which is exceedingly unlikely in this day and age lol.

48 minutes ago, SMG_Man said:

Almost all modern sourceports for Doom will properly load PWADs with replacement sprites/sounds/etc. without any further work on the player's part. The only exception to this I know of is Chocolate Doom, which requires the player to use a specific command line parameter when loading PWADs with replacement sprites (I think it's "-merge", but I'm not 100% on it).

Really, the only trouble that you'd run into is if a person attempts to play your PWAD using the original executable, which is exceedingly unlikely in this day and age lol.

What I was asking was how could I put my custom sprites and sounds into a PWAD, do you know how I could do that?

39 minutes ago, BrutalBlam said:

What I was asking was how could I put my custom sprites and sounds into a PWAD, do you know how I could do that?

Ah, then that's simple. Download the SLADE program if you haven't already, and select the option to make a new archive. Choose the WAD format, and just copy/paste your new sprites in there, and that's 95% of the job done. There are a couple of formatting things you need to stick to in vanilla-compatible PWADs, but I'm not the best to go over that since I mostly work with GZDoom stuff (which is a whole different animal).

43 minutes ago, SMG_Man said:

Ah, then that's simple. Download the SLADE program if you haven't already, and select the option to make a new archive. Choose the WAD format, and just copy/paste your new sprites in there, and that's 95% of the job done. There are a couple of formatting things you need to stick to in vanilla-compatible PWADs, but I'm not the best to go over that since I mostly work with GZDoom stuff (which is a whole different animal).

Oh, ok. Thanks for the help.

For Chocolate Doom:
Make SS_START and SS_END, then put the sprites between the SS_START and SS_END. Then use /merge <spritename.wad> instead of /file <spritename.wad>.