Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Snaxalotl

Stickney Installation - A 36 Level Ultimate Doom Megawad (Vanilla) [FINAL VERSION NOW ON IDGAMES]

Okay, finally got around to finishing E1, had to pistol start E1M7 because the save broke due to an update I think.

Comments:

E1M7: left a salty taste in my mouth sadly, I really wanted to love it, but health was really scarce, the megaarmour helped, but I left the map bleeding out at around 26%.

E1M8: also decided to pistol start because the rocket launcher wouldn't be of use and also because I was at 26%, I kinda raged until I realised what I had to do, which was circle strafe after running straight for the armour, the gimmick was interesting and the map look more visually striking than most of e1.

E1M9: Can't beat it yet, but I did notice multiple slimetrails at the pentagram by the rocket launcher, the start is a mess, and I won't have it any other way ;)

On 9/13/2022 at 5:14 PM, Codename_Delta said:

Was this intentional in the "READYOU"?

"Music: Wilster Wonkles"

Absulotly

On 9/13/2022 at 11:25 PM, TheShep said:

episode three done, here: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1590464031

Thanks for playing! You're really good at finding my secrets.

And that death pit in E3M5 was a mistake, I never intentionally make those...  among some other minor issues that I noticed during your playthrough, thanks again :>

Amazing maps as always you never cease to impress

E3 M2 might be the hardest Doom one map I've ever played

Someday if I have time I'd like to do a deathless run on that

In the meantime

20 hours ago, Snaxalotl said:

Thanks for playing! You're really good at finding my secrets.

And that death pit in E3M5 was a mistake, I never intentionally make those...  among some other minor issues that I noticed during your playthrough, thanks again :>

you're welcome! encourages me to do some quick streams :)

Vanilla Doom1 megawad you say?

Why thank you. Yes. This looks great.  

E2M2 could definitely have quite a few more shotgun shells scattered around the place. On HMP I ran totally empty after being half-way through and had to rely on the Plasmagun (which is a secret) for the rest of the level. That can hardly be the intended way to play this. General ammo shortage continues in E2M3, even worse than before, actually (chainsaw and fists needed to be used). It's getting better in E2M4 again.

Edited by NightFright

haven't got to play doom in a while, and i can say i really like your stinky wad.

6 hours ago, NightFright said:

E2M2 could definitely have quite a few more shotgun shells scattered around the place. On HMP I ran totally empty after being half-way through and had to rely on the Plasmagun (which is a secret) for the rest of the level. That can hardly be the intended way to play this. General ammo shortage continues in E2M3, even worse than before, actually (chainsaw and fists needed to be used). It's getting better in E2M4 again.

That is intended, many E2 maps are about ammo starvation. The maps that do this give out a berserk at the start, so the player can decide when to shoot and when to use berserk to save ammo.

E2M2 has no hitscanners and only low tiers (Imps/Demons/Lost Souls) so using berserk to save ammo is pretty much essential, its not quite a tyson level but punching out demons is extremely useful here.

E2M3 gives out enough ammo to kill everything later on but the berserk I hand out at the start is basically essential for the early portion of the level.

Lol so many people complaining about having to punch things

Honestly the berserk is one of my favorite things to use

Alright then. Guess I am just not used to this gameplay style. I got through these problematic passages, anyway. If this had been Doom II with chaingunners or Revenants, I would have definitely called it unfair, but as you said - the way you set it up it's doable. I might even replay those two ep.2 maps and focus on Tysoning after picking up the Berserk, just to play it the right way.

In general, the episodes are quite enjoyable. I have arrived at mid-ep3, progress is quite fast since maps aren't too large. 

Only just dipped my toe into this, really digging it so far. Love my Doom1 wads dark and spooky.

20 minutes ago, Pavera said:

Fantastic work on this thing, just finished E1, can't wait to play more!

20220916_221231.jpg.00a0ec171ad7cc113918459fb1a289d0.jpg

whoa  dude full on retro thats wicked!!

23 hours ago, Clippy said:

Berserk makes any map better. Like when mapping, I call it the "fun box". It immediately improves whatever level I place it in lol. 

On 9/16/2022 at 6:53 PM, Clippy said:

this! tbh i enjoy maps that give me the berserk right from the start. i use to play e2m2 or tnt m01 for warming up for this reason. and barons aren't often worth the ammo they eat, but rather a beating.

Alright, I finished Episode 3. Solid Hell episode, you use my favorite OG textures *a ton*... no complaints there! Some of the maps were pretty small, but still a lot of fun to play.

2 things I noticed...

1) In E3M6 (Inferno) the enemies over the lava keep dipping into shadow randomly. Not sure what is happening there. All of them at once will go into shadow and out, seemingly unprompted by anything in the environment. I am using GZDoom 4.8.2 (latest) with software rendering.

2) In E3M8 (boss level) the Barons seem to infinitely teleport, so a lot of the time it's just a big green blob where they are standing. If intentional, it still comes across as a bug.

Anyway, nice work! Looking forward to episode 4.

Just played a bit of a sneak peek at the first 2 levels of episode 4 on stream and loved it!  The first 2 levels of the original are probably the best and most memorable so it was fantastic to see the old and new meshed together in snax's re-interpretation!  They are definitely crazy and exciting levels just as I originally experienced episode 4, so I'm definitely looking forward to the rest :)

(linked to timestamp)

Aaaaand completed all 3 episodes. Great stuff, especially episode 3. Looking forward to playing Flesh Consumed replacement. :)

13 hours ago, Captain Keen said:

Alright, I finished Episode 3. Solid Hell episode, you use my favorite OG textures *a ton*... no complaints there! Some of the maps were pretty small, but still a lot of fun to play.

2 things I noticed...

1) In E3M6 (Inferno) the enemies over the lava keep dipping into shadow randomly. Not sure what is happening there. All of them at once will go into shadow and out, seemingly unprompted by anything in the environment. I am using GZDoom 4.8.2 (latest) with software rendering.

2) In E3M8 (boss level) the Barons seem to infinitely teleport, so a lot of the time it's just a big green blob where they are standing. If intentional, it still comes across as a bug.

With issue 1) there, I feel like several DoomTube channels that use GZD have been showing this without knowing it in videos recently. Something has been messed up with how lighting effects actors and they often flicker between being light and dark when they normally shouldn’t. I’ve seen this in some videos on NiGHTS108’s channel among others. I’d report the bug to ZDoom developers but I really don’t know how to accurately describe it..

Also I’m looking forward to the feeling of E4ia once you get that 4th episode out!

13 hours ago, Captain Keen said:

2 things I noticed...

I think doomkid is probably right about #1, I didn't test at all in gzdoom and am unaware of that problem.

With #2 it is intended despite how ridiculous it looks, that single baron is everywhere at once. Plus it is a big reason the maps name is din.

Glad you enjoyed it though! It was fun making an inferno inspired episode without the many issues that the original had.

Agreed. it has a whole new host of crazy issues to grapple with instead!

(Issues can be a good thing I swear)

I know I enjoyed E1 and the couple of levels of E2 I played when it released. Now with E3 making it a DOOM megawad I think it's time I play it again from E1 but to completion. Congrats on the release and thank you for the maps!

51 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

With issue 1) there, I feel like several DoomTube channels that use GZD have been showing this without knowing it in videos recently. Something has been messed up with how lighting effects actors and they often flicker between being light and dark when they normally shouldn’t. I’ve seen this in some videos on NiGHTS108’s channel among others. I’d report the bug to ZDoom developers but I really don’t know how to accurately describe it..

Also I’m looking forward to the feeling of E4ia once you get that 4th episode out!

If I remember correctly they have reported these bugs in GitHub.

3 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Interesting. I was wondering if it was a GZDoom bug. I recently updated my GZDoom from 4.6.1 to 4.8.2, wonder if something got broken between those, as I never noticed this issue before I updated, and today I noticed it in a completely different wad.

Thanks for your sharp eye!

3 hours ago, Snaxalotl said:

With #2 it is intended despite how ridiculous it looks, that single baron is everywhere at once. Plus it is a big reason the maps name is din.

Haha fair enough!

EDIT: @Doomkid I guess my ZDoom account is deactivated because I haven't used it in a few months (surprised they did that), anyway maybe you could post this in the Carmack Software bugs? I'll try to reactivate as well.

Just want to post something along the lines of what you mentioned here: "Something appears to be messed up with how lighting effects actors and they often flicker between being light and dark when they normally shouldn’t. I’ve seen this in some videos on NiGHTS108’s channel among others. An obvious example is in E3M6 (Inferno) of Stickney Installation, the enemies over the lava keep dipping into shadow randomly. All of them at once will go into shadow and out, seemingly unprompted by anything in the environment. This is using GZDoom 4.8.2 with software rendering."

EDIT 2: Okay, sorry to blow up this thread, this is my last edit! I just double checked E3M6 Inferno with GZDoom 4.6.1 and the error is NOT there. So this is absolutely 100% a GZDoom bug, and specifically something that changed between 4.6.1 and the latest version 4.8.2. Again, thanks for your sharp eye Doomkid as I had wrongly assumed it was a wad issue!

Edited by Captain Keen