Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Snaxalotl

Stickney Installation - A 36 Level Ultimate Doom Megawad (Vanilla) [FINAL VERSION NOW ON IDGAMES]

Played through these on my streams, it's a great episode 1 replacement.  I like where it takes inspiration from the original maps but does its own thing, and even evokes areas that weren't fun in the original and makes them better (like mazes and whatnot).  Definitely check it out if you want some good vanilla vibes :-)

Played through the whole thing with DOSBox in one sitting. This is one of the darker wads I've played (not that it's a bad thing); the diminishing lighting actually becomes part of the gameplay. Nice and natural difficulty ramp with the last two maps hitting the cathartic sweet spot, and the secret map ended up being a mad dash to each key. There was one spot in E1M5 where the ceiling lowered slightly and prevented me from entering the area with glowing light just before the blue key door, I don't know how I triggered that but there wasn't a texture on the sides of the lowered ceiling which makes me think it wasn't intentional. And 90% of the slime in E1M6 isn't damaging but there's a spot for rad suits. And using the photo of Phobos for the ENDOOM screen instead of ANSI yielded an interesting result:

Spoiler

sBYlGAV.gif

I had a lot of fun with this, very dark and cramped in a great way.

Huh. Personally, I would have gone with "Stickney To The Mars" or something.

Anyway, great mapset and I hope to see @Snaxalotl's take on Episodes 2 to 4 one day.

I played it and i'm working on the video of it at the moment i will say it was fun.....but i did have to cheat a little, sorry about that. you'll see what i mean when i post the video of it. 

I'm so used to Doom 2 enemies being around i love going to doom 1 and just having fun the only issue i have is and i don't know if this was intentional but i felt like there wasn't enough health and too many shotgunners well yet again i'm not a doom god player so that's all on me. 

I did play it in GZDoom since i don't know how to use other source ports and it ran just fine for me. 

Can't wait for episode 2 the shores of sandalotl. (please note that i made that name up and it is not official name for ep 2 i was making a joke). 

i should have the video up soon and i'll post it here for you to watch. 

Edit: Ok i got the video done, my internet was kinda trash today and it took forever to get it uploaded to youtube. It unlisted but i will make it public if you want me too. With that said here's the video for you and you can laugh at me for playing dumb and not finding all the secrets in the maps. 

Edited by xScavengerWolfx : Video

Stinky has quickly risen high on my list of vanilla wads to recommend to fans of classic-style mapping!

5 hours ago, Nikku4211 said:

Nice episode, but I wasn't sure what to do in E1M7, playing on HNTR, so I died.

FDA-approved Chocolate Doom demo:

sticcazh.7z

Thanks for playing, I watched the demo and it turns out the yellow key wasn't flagged to appear on all difficulties :/ 

The file has been updated and its fixed now though.

7 hours ago, Lippeth said:

Played through the whole thing with DOSBox in one sitting. This is one of the darker wads I've played (not that it's a bad thing); the diminishing lighting actually becomes part of the gameplay. Nice and natural difficulty ramp with the last two maps hitting the cathartic sweet spot, and the secret map ended up being a mad dash to each key. There was one spot in E1M5 where the ceiling lowered slightly and prevented me from entering the area with glowing light just before the blue key door, I don't know how I triggered that but there wasn't a texture on the sides of the lowered ceiling which makes me think it wasn't intentional. And 90% of the slime in E1M6 isn't damaging but there's a spot for rad suits. And using the photo of Phobos for the ENDOOM screen instead of ANSI yielded an interesting result:

I had a lot of fun with this, very dark and cramped in a great way.

Glad you enjoyed it!! I fixed the nukage for map06 though I wasn't able to find the issue you experienced for E1M5, I checked around that area couldn't find any problems.

Nice work. Really good stuff to play in an afternoon.

2 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Stinky has quickly risen high on my list of vanilla wads to recommend to fans of classic-style mapping!

You should include it in the big vanilla pack :-)

2 hours ago, Snaxalotl said:

Glad you enjoyed it!! I fixed the nukage for map06 though I wasn't able to find the issue you experienced for E1M5, I checked around that area couldn't find any problems.

Ah I know what it is, and I was wrong in describing it. It's the room that the blue key opens into, somehow when recalling I thought the exit door was the blue door. The blue key door (sector 100) has two linedefs marked to open that door, and they're both pointing the same way, and after opening the door and accidentally pressing the second trigger, the ceiling lowers, blocking the way forward.

Spoiler

vi5il9u.png

3AJukZq.png

4 minutes ago, Lippeth said:

Ah I know what it is, and I was wrong in describing it. It's the room that the blue key opens into, somehow when recalling I thought the exit door was the blue door. The blue key door (sector 100) has two linedefs marked to open that door, and they're both pointing the same way, and after opening the door and accidentally pressing the second trigger, the ceiling lowers, blocking the way forward.

Thanks for the help! It was accidentally fixed in the update I made a few hours ago. I just saw the door was weird and fixed it while looking around, I had no idea that's what the issue was though lol.

I'll probably mess about in this once it's final. My playthrough will also be better than wedge's as well.

1 hour ago, TheShep said:

I'll probably mess about in this once it's final. My playthrough will also be better than wedge's as well.

My playthrough was bad not going to lie, i have the video up on youtube if you want to laugh at me lol

I played upto e1m5 before I had to put it down. I had a blast from what I played of it. Keep up the good work on any future projects.

Now that's what I call a good UDOOM experience! Thoroughly enjoyed this one. Noticed a couple of unusual texture or lighting inconsistencies which can be seen in the below YT playthrough, but absolutely none of them are major in any way.

I found this to hit the sweet-spot for UDOOM style gameplay - between making the chaingun feel like a powerhouse of a weapon and a high density of secret areas, this felt like a lot of fun to play and explore. Thanks for the wad!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGcl-kx98Og

NOTE: at the time of posting the above youtube video is still in the processing stage, so you may need to come back later to watch it.

14 hours ago, xScavengerWolfx said:

I played it and i'm working on the video of it at the moment i will say it was fun.....but i did have to cheat a little, sorry about that. you'll see what i mean when i post the video of it. 

I'm so used to Doom 2 enemies being around i love going to doom 1 and just having fun the only issue i have is and i don't know if this was intentional but i felt like there wasn't enough health and too many shotgunners well yet again i'm not a doom god player so that's all on me. 

I did play it in GZDoom since i don't know how to use other source ports and it ran just fine for me. 

Can't wait for episode 2 the shores of sandalotl. (please note that i made that name up and it is not official name for ep 2 i was making a joke). 

i should have the video up soon and i'll post it here for you to watch. 

Edit: Ok i got the video done, my internet was kinda trash today and it took forever to get it uploaded to youtube. It unlisted but i will make it public if you want me too. With that said here's the video for you and you can laugh at me for playing dumb and not finding all the secrets in the maps. 

So it turns out the health was only flagged for UV on E1M7. you didn't do anything wrong, it was definitely my fault lol. Updated with a fix

1 minute ago, Dragonfly said:

Now that's what I call a good UDOOM experience! Thoroughly enjoyed this one. Noticed a couple of unusual texture or lighting inconsistencies which can be seen in the below YT playthrough, but absolutely none of them are major in any way.

I found this to hit the sweet-spot for UDOOM style gameplay - between making the chaingun feel like a powerhouse of a weapon and a high density of secret areas, this felt like a lot of fun to play and explore. Thanks for the wad!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGcl-kx98Og

NOTE: at the time of posting the above youtube video is still in the processing stage, so you may need to come back later to watch it.

Thanks for playing! I will definitely watch once I get home from work. It looks like the video is set to private currently though, not sure if that's just from it not being done processing yet.