Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rudolph

Freedoom Sound Caulking?

Years ago, Jaxxoon R released Sound Caulking, which replaces reused sound effects - notably idle and pain sounds - with new ones.

While it is compatible with Freedoom, some of the new sounds do not quite match their Freedoom counterparts, e.g. the Dark Soldier making bone-cracking noises when hit. Nothing major, but it would be nice to have a version specifically tailored for Freedoom.

I would have asked the person behind Freedoom's sound design, but the readme file is rather vague about it.

On 8/6/2022 at 5:45 PM, Rudolph said:

Years ago, Jaxxoon R released Sound Caulking, which replaces reused sound effects - notably idle and pain sounds - with new ones.

It appears that the addition/replacement of sounds is only possible in ZDoom and derivative ports?

Anyway, if you want a Freed∞m equivalent of this mod, the sounds would likely need to be compliant with the FD licence. You could always look into the attic for unused sound effects, and also maybe check out the sound libraries at OpenGameArt.

1 hour ago, MrFlibble said:

It appears that the addition/replacement of sounds is only possible in ZDoom and derivative ports?

Oh, you are right. I am so used to GZDoom that I keep forgetting that there are other ports out there. My bad!

I figured that the people who did the sound design for Freedoom would be better equipped to design the additional sound effects, since they are already familiar with the source material and thus would have an easier time figuring out which sounds to use to complement the rest.

I suppose I could indeed to it myself, although I am not familiar with GitHub, so I will have to familiarize with the latter first.

Anyway, thanks for the link! I will check it out and see if there are anything worth salvaging. It should be a fun little side-project!

Edited by Rudolph

On 8/11/2022 at 4:26 PM, Rudolph said:

I figured that the people who did the sound design for Freedoom would be better equipped to design the additional sound effects, since they are already familiar with the source material and thus would have an easier time figuring out which sounds to use to complement the rest.

Being a community project that spans over more than a decade, there is no core team of Freed∞m sound designers. Most of the sounds are contributed by users that have been involved over the years, some of those possibly got tweaks and edits from other users and so on. So if you expect that someone on the team is going to pick this idea up, this seems a bit unlikely to me, as there appears to be no dedicated sound design team on the project in the first place (I could be wrong because I don't use Discord, so please correct me if so!).

On 8/11/2022 at 4:26 PM, Rudolph said:

Anyway, thanks for the link! I will check it out and see if there are anything worth salvaging. It should be a fun little side-project!

Just make sure that the licenses are compatible. I cannot give you a lot of advice on this though, sorry.

Well then, I guess I could always play it safe and simply not share whatever I end up making. Either way, duly noted!

I suppose a user-made add-on does not have to strictly follow possible limitations arising from differences in licensing of individual assets. I was more referring to the possibility of including these new sounds in official FD releases -- this might require some licence checking.

Oh, do not worry about that. As you pointed out, Sound Caulking only works with ZDoom and such, so it would not be accepted anyway.