• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kgsws

ACE Engine v2 - DOS Doom II [vanilla++?]

3 hours ago, Paf said:

udmf support when

lmao

Doom in Hexen is enough. It's harder to work in this format after UDMF, but I'm fine to cope with that.

BTW, I do remember I saw someone tried to create KDIZD but for DOS. I can't find this thread here...This project might be also useful with ACE Engine, you know.

10 hours ago, Paf said:

udmf support when

I was thinking about that but ... I don't like parsing too much text in DOS Doom which might be running on < 100MHz PCs. It is possible though.

We need something like BUDMF - binary universal doom map format :D

6 hours ago, Dexiaz said:

Doom in Hexen is enough. It's harder to work in this format after UDMF, but I'm fine to cope with that.

I hope you mean what ZDoom does (creating new line actions) and not that weird hack what Crispy Doom did (re-using doom actions? what the ...).

But yes, Hexen map format (ZDoom style) is planned, along with ACS. But only for V3. Which will be way later, after i take a break ... and if V2 is successful.

V2 only supports Doom map format. That is because ZDoom adds a ton of new actions. It is not hard at all to implement those, it's just time consuming.

But if you can accept a limited subset of actions (basic doors, basic lifts, basic floors/ceilings [and polyobjects]) i might extend V2 release plans and add this - i have already implemented Hexen map format with limited subset of actions in ACE (see doom-in-doom video, it even has working polyobjects).

Any new ZDoom line actions would be supported in DECORATE too. So it might be worth it.

6 hours ago, Dexiaz said:

BTW, I do remember I saw someone tried to create KDIZD but for DOS. I can't find this thread here...This project might be also useful with ACE Engine, you know.

Now that would be pretty cool demo for ACE Engine.

I also have a few mods on my mind that i would like to "port" for ACE Engine. I would have to make changes to maps since some features (like slopes) are not planned at all though.

But it is probably better to ask author(s) first ...

Anyway, MAPINFO implementation is going well. I should be able to finish it during the weekend.

It will support multiple episode definitions!

5 hours ago, kgsws said:

But it is probably better to ask author(s) first ...

I think the author will do it by himself, the problem is I can't find the project now, like it's just gone, huh.

12 hours ago, Dexiaz said:

BTW, I do remember I saw someone tried to create KDIZD but for DOS. I can't find this thread here...

Do you mean Essel's KDIKDIZD?

Or Marn's KDIKDIKDIZD?

@Gez, no. Both are not that I'm looking for. There were screenshots from Z1M6 with downgraded visuals (due to visplanes, I suppose) and runned on Dosbox.

I was thinking "I should play it later", but now I can't find it at all. And the thread is not that old.

Threads you've posted are already 10 years old and screens looks crappy.

P.S.: I'm sure I saw a post by Doomkid in this kdizd demake thread, but I'm also didn't find his post in history. Maybe I'm blind, or I lost my mind and everything I saw is my imagination.

Edited by Dexiaz

17 hours ago, kgsws said:

I was thinking about that but ... I don't like parsing too much text in DOS Doom which might be running on < 100MHz PCs. It is possible though.

We need something like BUDMF - binary universal doom map format :D

Heh, yeah. BTW, that was actually a joke.

On 10/1/2022 at 7:47 PM, Paf said:

Heh, yeah. BTW, that was actually a joke.

Yeah, i know. It's just that i have actually considered doing this at some point.

Well, progress is going well. MAPINFO is working for maps and clusters. Episode definition is missing.

Meanwhile i have updated hitscan collisions. Now it feels even more modern. Do you know what's happening here?

s0.png.f407739bbbd7a8063e2ca731e5c39eb2.png

Also, custom puffs are supported.

s1.png.78e44931876cb1b896c69831e2e2574e.png

With crash state and PUFFONACTORS.

s2.png.4c553b2993c1cb2e35f6dc65a65c61fe.png

NOTE: I have not added heretic weapons. This is a fresh DECORATE definition in custom WAD.

20 hours ago, kgsws said:

Do you know what's happening here?

On left - destroyed wooden barrel? On right - looks like a fried corpse. On center - aiming on floor without moving camera.

In any case, looks superb!

On 10/3/2022 at 10:09 PM, Dexiaz said:

On left - destroyed wooden barrel? On right - looks like a fried corpse. On center - aiming on floor without moving camera.

In any case, looks superb!

Thanks!

On center - actually it's aiming with mouse. But, you can see hitscan collision with floors.
Yes, doom does not have hitscan collisions with floors. You won't likely notice because chance of shooting floor or ceiling is very small in the original game.

16 hours ago, user76828904 said:

@kgsws Is there charred monsters In the farest room?

Yeah, those are decorations.

It's just a temporary test map for stuff, but i still tend to add unnecessary details.

Here's a quick MAPINFO update. Custom episodes and custom map, with different sky texture.

Maps no longer have to have fixed name (like MAP01, E1M1) but can be anything, like in ZDoom.

This one is called TITLEMAP ... (which might give you another hint)

s0.png.e6b781fdf26ddc113923b8827c96cee4.png

2 hours ago, kgsws said:

This one is called TITLEMAP ... (which might give you another hint)

Reminded to me TITLEMAP existed in Doom Alpha, lmao.

Oh yeah, we can also create a Doom Alpha mod not for ZDoom sourceports, hehe.

17 minutes ago, Dexiaz said:

Oh yeah, we can also create a Doom Alpha mod not for ZDoom sourceports, hehe.

Oh God yes! I wanna see Doom Delta for DOS.

Oh, this thread is just 3 pages, it was too hard to read them? :\

No, at present time it's not compatible with sourceports.

6 hours ago, kgsws said:

UPDATE: Here's a small change. Just a few lines of code ...

IMPOSSIBRU!!! ACTORS IN DOS DOOM ARE INFINITY TALL!!!!!1111111111111oneoneone

Just joking, I do know how actors' height "work" in the original engine. Nice addition!

WAIT.

IT'S POSSIBLE TO MAKE BRIDGE ACTORS, RIGHT?

3 hours ago, Dexiaz said:

IMPOSSIBRU!!! ACTORS IN DOS DOOM ARE INFINITY TALL!!!!!1111111111111oneoneone

Just joking, I do know how actors' height "work" in the original engine. Nice addition!

WAIT.

IT'S POSSIBLE TO MAKE BRIDGE ACTORS, RIGHT?

Flying actors intensifies

6 hours ago, user76828904 said:

Can we expect something like the gravitational anomaly disks from Rise of The Triad?

Gads_1344000829.jpg

DECORATE support would mean stuff like that should be possible I'd think.

3 hours ago, kgsws said:

By the way, V2 will be delayed again ... because i can't stop myself adding new features.

I'm fine with that. MORE FEATURES TO BREAK THE LIMITS \m/

Those GIFs i posted were proof-of-concept mockups (well it was rendered in DOS, but sides were mid textures).

But now, sorting is fully working. There are no collisions, yet.

s0.png.7127e359bf8dca7ef3e7b2286c528bf8.png

And it works on real hardware.

7 hours ago, forgettable pyromaniac said:

Is that a sky transfer i see? :)

That's a custom sky set using MAPINFO.

https://zdoom.org/wiki/MAPINFO/Map_definition see sky1. (no scrolling though! ... yet)

3 hours ago, kgsws said:

But meanwhile, i have ditched unchained mode, which allows me to easily write new rendering functions.

Damn.
First, you demonstrated Doom 64 GUI.
Second, animated switches from Hexen.
Third, savegame that looks like from Blood.
Then, inventory system and functional Alt-Attack.
And now, you have full control to the rendering functions, which means you can add stuff like 3D floors, Floor/Ceiling Portals, Line Portals, and maybe more richer palette translation for sprites :p

3 hours ago, kgsws said:

Heh, you decide! But there are things that can't be added. Like rotating sectors. (remember those giant cogs in Duke3D)

Perhaps with some mapping tricks & visual illusion, its possible (depends on how large the cog's gap is, tbh I forget how big it was).