Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ar_e_en

Favorite audio-plays, dramatic readings and other audio experiences that aren't music pieces? (Keep podcasts to a minimum)

Do you have any non-music related audio experiences that you like? Things like audio-plays, dramatic readings, audio-logs (from fiction or even real life), etc.

I would like to request that you refrain from mentioning podcasts here, because podcasts are a bit too obvious of an answer (and they might require their own dedicated thread). However, if there is a moment or segment from a podcast that is unique, special or unlike anything in that specific podcast - I will be fine with it, so long as it's just that specific moment or segment.

Here's a fandub of Agent T's diary from the Yahtzee Croshaw game "The Consuming Shadow". It's quite spooky (the background ambiance really adds a lot to the atmosphere) and the performance is top-notch!

One of my favorite sets of audio-logs from any game. Without them - I don't think that The Jackal from FarCry 2 would have been as good of an antagonist as he already is. It really adds a lot to his character.

I like listening to Henry Rollins' spoken word shit sometimes, I went to see him in person about five years ago. He's a massive douche. I know you said no music pieces, but the first half of "Family Man" by Black Flag is all spoken word with no music, and it's hilariously bad.

"Do you want the family man or do you want the swingin' man? You choose."

"I come for YOU family man, with your Christmas lights already up,
You're such a MAN when your putting up your Christmas lights"

"Family man

Family MAN

FAMILY man

FAMILY MAN"

Edited by TheMagicMushroomMan

I just remembered the briefing tapes from Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker. There were a bunch of great tapes from that game, but I specifically remember the funny ones (Big Boss believing in Santa Claus, Cecile being drunk, Big Boss fangirling about box tanks, etc.). But one that I want to bring attention to is actually the first tape that you get in the game - "Between Two Women". Technically, it's not supposed to be a funny tape, but I just find it to be hilarious!

^ This is like two aliens acting out what they think a normal human conversation is like

^ Even without the context from the movie this is still very profound (I say this having never seen the movie so you can count on me)

^ IMAGINE being Scottish...

First thing that comes to mind is the "Haunted History" shows, narrated by John Glover. Absolutely masterful narration, really suited the material perfectly.

I absolutely adore Peter Matić's reading of Proust's "À la recherche du temps perdu" (the German translation). I once tried reading the whole novel but quit half way into the first book. But just listening to it while going for a walk or commuting to work is great.

Grimscribe's readings of weird fiction classics in general really hit a note, but here they top themselves. Crappy mic, zero music, monotone delivery, nothing gets in the way of Schulz's dreary, apocalyptically visionary prose. Quite a perspective on WWII, considering also the way the author met their end.

If you happen to know French, may I also suggest an equally evocative reading of another classic, 'Les Chants de Maldoror'? Such a supremely difficult text to read dramatically.

Edited by Thelokk

On 8/9/2022 at 11:09 AM, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

Henry Rollins

This one had me in tears.

Additionally, Jello Biafra’s albums used to have constant rotation when I was working a factory job. I find that a some of what he says is a bit out-of-touch now, but his sharp wit and cyncism was pretty uplifting when I felt like I was under the world’s boot.

21 hours ago, Thelokk said:

If you happen to know French, may I also suggest an equally evocative reading of another classic, 'Les Chants de Maldoror'? Such a supremely difficult text to read dramatically.

I sadly do not speak french but I read Les Chants de Maldoror in the German translation and I love reading it out loud sometimes, just for the kick of it.

So many crazy passages in there!

I occasionally enjoy the audio versions of the Deathlands books by Graphic Audio. Their tagline is "A movie in your mind", and while I don't consider them to be masterworks by any means, and the books themselves are pure schlock, I enjoy the concept and effort put into them. I first saw them in the mid 2000s at a Flying Jay's while on a long road trip by myself and bought one out of curiosity. It did make the road trip more enjoyable!

Spoiler

Edited by Lippeth

On 8/10/2022 at 3:17 AM, Grimosaur said:

^ Even without the context from the movie this is still very profound (I say this having never seen the movie so you can count on me)

A simple, but surprisingly moving story. A good pick!

On 8/10/2022 at 2:15 PM, Piper Maru said:

Ted the Caver

I remember reading this on the web in high school and getting into it, though I don't think it would have had the same kind of impact if I had listened to someone else read it. Part of the suspense was clicking onto the next page. Still a fun story.

Spoiler

there is a full 8 minute version of this out somewhere, with video from inside the electronics boutique as it is happening