Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ravendesk

[Now on idgames!] Four Perfectly Fine Lemons | MBF21 mini-episode

Congrats on the release! Looking forward to playing this again with some of the changes you've implemented.

Glad to see this released, what a refreshing and fun set of maps! I didn't realise the difficulty levels actually modified the level geometry. Very cool detail.

So is this made with mouselook and jumping in mind? You can't see much of the mountains in the sky texture in map01 if you play with software rendering as OpenGL distorts the sky texture quite a bit, so i assume it's supposed to be played with OpenGL.

7 minutes ago, Gregor said:

So is this made with mouselook and jumping in mind? You can't see much of the mountains in the sky texture in map01 if you play with software rendering as OpenGL distorts the sky texture quite a bit, so i assume it's supposed to be played with OpenGL.

Oh, I'm sorry, forgot to mention that.

Mouselook, jumping and crouching should be disabled for the best experience.

Visuals were designed with software rendering in mind, but I don't think there is anything that breaks with OpenGL renderer.

Not seeing mountains is a bit unfortunate but is not critical for the map appearance I was aiming for.

I have updated OP to mention this.

30 minutes ago, Ravendesk said:

Not seeing mountains is a bit unfortunate but is not critical for the map appearance I was aiming for.

Well, i personally think the mountains do contribute a lot to the atmosphere of the map. Feels much more alive and cosy. Maybe you could adjust the position of the sky texture a little to compensate for the distortion? Kinda of a waste of the texture if you can only see the very top in software.

NOTE: the distortion only happens when you activate mouselook with OpenGL as it bends the sky accordingly to create a skybox effect.

doom03.png.dc617e8b3543de83e1e9e0fed0b9e3ba.png

doom02.png.69697e96fbccc28f2bdc50a0cdc96a39.png

Edited by Gregor

19 minutes ago, Gregor said:

Well, i personally think the mountains do contribute a lot to the atmosphere of the map. Feels much more alive and cosy. Maybe you could adjust the position of the sky texture a little to compensate for the distortion? Kinda of a waste of the texture if you can only see the very top in software.

I never noticed it before you mentioned it, but they really do :) I'll look into it before RC2 update.

Edited by Ravendesk

Platforming, neat. Screenshots look dope too. Right into my to-play list! Hopefully I won't suffer too much.

Edit: @Ravendesk will try to contribute with more substantial commentary once I graduate from HNTR to HMP (spoile: wad is a blast, both metaphorically and literally), for now

Spoiler

most doors, especially in MAP03, seem to have that lower unpegged thing where the side of the wall goes up with the door itself. Stylistic choice or oversight?

Edited by Thelokk

49 minutes ago, Thelokk said:

for now

Hide contents

most doors, especially in MAP03, seem to have that lower unpegged thing where the side of the wall goes up with the door itself. Stylistic choice or oversight?

Might be an oversight, thanks for mentioning, added it to my to-check list.

RC2 update is ready.

Changelog:

1. Added NoMo support. Now each map is beatable with "-nomonsters" flag. On NoMo all the platforming is the same as on UV.

Big fights in Map 02 and Map 03 can be skipped on NoMo.

Turret monsters are closed in Map 01 and Map 04 on NoMo.

Secrets in Map 02 and Map 03 can be obtained on NoMo by blowing up all barrels instead of killing all imps. Secret in Map 01 is always accessible on NoMo.

2. Adjusted the sky offset in Map 01, so the tips of the mountains can be seen. Now it looks like this (with software and no mouselook):

Spoiler

image.png.90e3390e3bd27185d7ddfb8dffad47fe.png

3. Fixed lightning sequence in colored platforms room in Map 03.

4. Fixed textures and unpegged flags for doors in Map 03.

Spoiler

Added an "exit" sign near the exit switch in Map 03, as you can't see it's color due to invuln.

6. Fixed a few wrong textures in Map 02.

Download link for RC2: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jZmN5LxnFgWI0Y8H40JGwB_Vru8XXx11/view?usp=sharing

I have updated OP with the new download link and the changelog.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback given on RC1!

I have stumbled upon a way to make Map 04 work in GZDoom by accident. So now the wad includes a ZScript that manually adjusts the conveyor linedef lengths in GZDoom to slow conveyors down and make it playable. Many thanks to @dac for mentioning it in discord and briefly explaining it to me.

GZDoom still treats conveyor belts quite differently, especially the way you can control your speed on them, so playing Map 04 in GZ is quite a different experience, and you need to press W to speed up or press S to slow down at times, but it's interesting in its own way. I still recommend using dsda-doom for the intended experience though.

This change along with a small sky offset tweak for Map 03 is included in RC3. Link in the OP is also updated.

Download link for RC3: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YQXw2kifa768ct9vWkHaebCQTESMd-f_/view?usp=sharing

Cute little platforming puzzle map set you have there even though Maps 2 & 4 weren't my cup of tea and that lave pit section with Cyberdemons was a neat trick in Map 3 :)

Updated 4pfl to RC4 version. Hopefully this is the last update. I will upload it on idgames in a few days if no more bugs are found.

Changelog:

1. Made it possible to exit Map 05 and added a secret credits level in Map 06 slot.

2. Fixed a possible cheese in a secret area of Map 02.

3. Fixed bug with NoMo in Map 03.

4. Fixed a possible cheese on lower difficulties in Map 03 - just so that players won't be confused by thinking this is the intended progression.

As usual I have updated OP with the new download link and the changelog.

Download RC4 here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1v0RRG9wOZSxOyZNp0Iiq30IunIMmi69R/view?usp=sharing

I played this on stream and I actually quite enjoyed it! Despite my many deaths and save scumming on UV. I would say this definitely isn't the kind of Doom stuff I usually play, but I really liked the puzzle aspect of it.

Spoiler

- I couldn't for the life of me, figure out how to kill the last imp on MAP03.

- I was able to get through the first 3 maps pretty well, but map04 just simply was too difficult from me (I ended up kinda TASing, just to see how the level played).

- I liked MAP05, but I couldn't figure out a good strat to get far enough to exit the map to MAP06.

You can watch the video here:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1577976718?t=1h2m20s

Edited by Arsinikk

2 hours ago, Arsinikk said:

I played this on stream and I actually quite enjoyed it! Despite my many deaths and save scumming on UV. I would say this definitely isn't the kind of Doom stuff I usually play, but I really liked the puzzle aspect of it.

Reveal hidden contents

- I couldn't for the life of me, figure out how to kill the last imp on MAP03.

- I was able to get through the first 3 maps pretty well, but map04 just simply was too difficult from me (I ended up kinda TASing, just to see how the level played).

- I liked MAP05, but I couldn't figure out a good strat to get far enough to exit the map to MAP06.

Hey, glad you enjoyed it! Watched the vod, that was fun. 

Really good job on Map 02, these jumps are not easy and you got them really fast. Especially the third jump of the map, that AVJ into RJ, nicely done!

Now regarding the spoilers part:

Spoiler

1. To kill the imp in map 03 you are supposed to shoot a rocket from the starting side through these black-yellow sights, then take a teleporter and that rocket will explode right into your back propelling you forward to where the imp is :) 

Actually a bit more regarding map 03.

That colored platforms puzzle requires no movement skills whatsoever, it's a pure puzzle thing. When you step on a platform of a certain color, all platforms with that color lower. So you just need to find a path with all the unique colors and move freely through it :) When you get to any row, scrollers for the next row stop, so you just need to take it slow. But so far pretty much everyone I saw playing this, has hacked this puzzle one way or another, lol.

Also, regarding the cyber fight in Map 03 - doing it pacifist is crazy xd, I could never do it pacifist even with saves lol.

These cybers are actually not the usual ones, they have a very low mass. So you can just shoot them with rockets and push them into the lava. Gave you 100 rockets for that! So it may be even more like Fortnite than you originally thought :)

2. Yeah, Map 04 requires learning on UV - switching to HMP or even HNTR for the blind run might have helped there - the lower difficulties are much more forgiving in this map. But good job on finding the shortcut right away!

3. You actually got pretty close, you do really have to escape to the side right away. But then just an SR50 is not enough, you are supposed to wallrun :) This will give you enough speed to get to the opposite wall (well, not you, your corpse rather). Actually, SR50 wallrun will make it even more consistent.