Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cambreaKer

Just Another Day at UAC

I haven't released any new wads since 2 years ago, so why not change that? Here's a Doom 2 map I just finished, and i hope you enjoy it!

Tested with prboom+ 2.6.2, might work with vanilla but i haven't tried it. Should definitely work with limit removing ports

Screenshots:

Spoiler

hDiLgtx.png

B7DtHYB.png

VUA0usq.png

oYoa4DW.png

Download here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/14aNF9n3yjdZk1CYwQ8Sp8EmZLwvoeCaM/view?usp=sharing

and don't forget to let me know if you liked it!

thanks for playing, i'm glad you liked it!

also since you looked for secrets so much, i figure i'd tell you that none of the secrets involve wall humping lol

Overall, fun and pretty well done map. 

Pros:

-Fun moderate paced combat, no really cheap encounters but a couple could be deadly due to limited health pool on UV. I think it was very well balanced however, but on a first run it’s likely to be playing a lot of the map on low health due to all the hitscan. With any more health it probably would have been a cakewalk. I only died once on my blind run and made a decent number of mistakes so it's not too punishing but I had to play a bit carefully.

-Good vanilla techbase aesthetic with some cool areas like where the flesh/corruption mixes with it. Some nice lighting effects, not too fancy but many mappers neglect it. 

-The chaingunners and shotgunners were pretty well placed, they were not too unfair and pose the main challenge of surviving the map. Plenty of cover and retreat areas for the player, and you never sprung too many monsters at a time for the shotgun to handle. It provides a good fit to tactical room clearing which is somewhat needed to survive as well.

-Plenty of ammo and well calibrated in terms of matching monsters to your weapons and the overall pace of gameplay. 

Spoiler

In my opinion I think the chaingun is a little OP vs the cacodemons since the corridors are narrow though. I like them as pressure units in enclosed spaces or as flanking threats in more open/3D areas, but here they’re just bullet sponges that get hitstunned to death. With so many bullets there’s no incentive to use the chainsaw either and it was secret anyway. In a way it was good since I probably had like 30 health through that part so taking damage would have been rough. Either limiting chaingun ammo which is precious for dealing with all the hitscan or perhaps using hell knights with their smaller pain chance would probably spice up those encounters in the hellish area a bit more if you wanted.

-Easy to navigate, pretty intuitive progression and all the switches, triggers, and doors work. I didn't notice any obvious mistakes with texturing or the like.

Cons:

Spoiler

Really my only problem with the map was the secrets, using the shootable triggers is generally ok but it’s harder to cue the player into shooting random walls unless it's something glaring. I found all 3 secret doors on my blind run but couldn't figure out how to open them, so they weren't super hidden but I had to open the editor to understand how they worked. In the case of the one behind the skull texture for example, I humped both skulls, tried shooting the one that actually opened up but didn't try shooting the other one. For the slime waterfall one I actually like the idea of opening the window and showing you the previous room as a clue, but shooting an unrelated computer panel didn't come to mind since everything in the room was already dead. The last one leading to the armor was pretty clever in retrospect but flew over my head during the run. It seemed like unless you managed to trigger one by accident during your blind run it'd be tough to find any; but once you know shooting stuff opens walls it's likely you'd be able to find all 3 eventually. Definitely not terribly cryptic secrets in the grand scheme of things though, and none of them really gave anything needed to beat the map. A single medikit would have been more enticing than all 3 put together. This is just my opinion though, some people love secret hunting and find it satisfying.

-Maybe mark the red key door a bit better like you did with the blue, though I had no trouble since I used the map on my blind run.

-The midi was fine but I agree it needed a longer loop for some variety. Not a huge deal to me though, it still beats the default music.

Overall it's a well made classic techbase map that anyone can enjoy. Clearly you get how to make a good map, and kudos for applying your skills after a long layoff. 

Gave it a run through today, had plans to do it in the week but hadn't had time so I had it bookmarked.

I found it very fun, it wasn't too taxing yet was pretty satisfying to play.

The visuals were very appealing to me, very clean and classic late 90's looking, I love that style.

Spoiler

zkn7n3G.png

I like how this section opens up and shows the earlier area off, it is a nice detail.

gCAtBYU.png

This section was quite visually striking and a welcome addition, only issue is some slight texture misalignment but that isn't too much of an issue.

All in all a great job chief, keep it up.

Enoyable little tech map, but as Lucius already said, the secrets would be my only complaint. otherwise, thanks for sharing :)