Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Stealthy Ivan

The master level's.....

Did any of you ever buy that doom1/2 level add-on Called Master Levels for DooM 2 (which came in that gray box with the cool skull texture on it...)? If you go through and read alot of the txt's for the levels on there, they say do not distribute...? I wonder if id just went out and started collecting peoples wads to sell on a cd...! Plus a shit load of the levels on there really blow...!!!

Master levels......best mission pack for doom...IMHO.

Unfortunetely for m i've only got them on psx final doom, so i've only got 13 of the levels.

i bought it a looong time ago, it really has 20 wads (21 levels) that are THE Master Levels.. and like 1333 of shit they got off the net, so i guess you could find all the 1333 on the net but the great pro levels (the 13 that show up in the PSX + the 8 that dont) i think are the ones you really cant "distribute"

i never really played any of them tho cos i stopped playing Doom shortly after buying it... LOVED the BOX tho ;)

Yes, I was one of the feeble-minded masses that lined up to hand over my hard-earned bucks so that I could own a piece of id Software (so to speak). The Master levels themselves are reasonably good, and yes, the rest of the levels were shit. But by today's standards even the Master levels seem to pale in comparison.

My Master Levels CD is in a dark corner somewhere, but this thread may just have prompted me to dust it off and try them out again.

I play that damn thing all the time. Most of the Doom 2 levels suck, but a lot of the Ultimate Doom levels are quite good.

there are some excellent levels in there, but nowhere near the quality of AV or TVR.
most of the 'master levels' are just okay stuff by Klie and Kvernmo.
the misc 1300 wads on there are mostly worse than cdrom.com's stuff, as I recall.
ReX speaks the truth. :)

I never acutally got the master levels, but I did get a simular type of Dee-Lee.Its was a cd called Demon Gate, which had a bunch of wads for Doom II and Doom. I had lots of fun with that though. :D

I think the master levels may be tucked away somewhere on one of my anthology cd's. Can't recall playing them, but if I did then they obviously didn't make much of an impression.

And then there are the levels published by Wizard Works, in which they pretty much did the same thing as id did for the Master Levels CD. They trawled through cdrom.com and indiscriminately compiled any level they could download. Most of them are as shitty as the generic ones on the Master Levels CD.

Again, I stand guilty as charged for buying two of their CDs. Back then I didn't have an internet connection, and this was one of the few ways to play the endless variations that DooM has to offer. (The other way was to create one's own levels. But the editing bug didn't take a chunk out of my ass until many years later.)

however that little you've paid (50-200 USD) is a pittance for how much time you've invested in DOOM. :)
Heck, you probably got your money's worth out of that Doom2cd just by making and playing any ONE of your wads. :)

Opulent said:

however that little you've paid (50-200 USD) is a pittance for how much time you've invested in DOOM.

Indubitably, my good man. I consider every penny I've spent on id's stuff money very well spent. On the other hand, the Wizard Works CDs, the Master Levels CD, the Lost Episodes of DooM Book & diskette, the Aliens TC and Star Wars TC that I bought on diskette at a computer show, and other sundry purchases have made me question my financial judgement ;)

Heck, you probably got your money's worth out of that Doom2cd just by making and playing any ONE of your wads.

Actually, strangely enough, I enjoy playing other peoples' wads more than I enjoy playing my own wads. Of course I do get my rocks off by building levels.

well, let me put it this way _I_ got my money's worth just by playing any one of your wads.
and, you're right, those 'extra' cds weren't worth it. :)
shoot, I have quake2 mission packs and all sorts of expensive shelf-space users...

I remember I got it in the doom trilogy for a few years back (6?)
But yes, the maps wasn't really something special, but I need to try them again to check...

It was cd's like that one and others that offered thousands of wads that caused me to start creating levels in the first place. I figured if I was gonna spend money on levels for doom/doom2 I didn't want them to suck.
Most of the wads that were on those cd's did suck too. Not all of them mind you but a large portion of them. It was like they were just thrown together and put out there. No thought to level design, creativity or playability. Thank goodness there are higher standards now.

There were a lot more than just 1300 shit wads on that disk... the Doom 2 wads alone reached almost 1700. I started reviewing them all a few weeks ago, but then I realized how bad all of the levels were and I gave up for the moment. I might come back to it at some point, though I don't see any reason to... it's not like anybody would even read the reviews if I wrote them.

EllipsusD said:

I might come back to it at some point, though I don't see any reason to... it's not like anybody would even read the reviews if I wrote them.

They might if you told people where the reviews were.

I found it in a used bin at a computer shop two years ago. I love Maximum Doom (I'm serious), it's such a step back in time, where design standards meant only if your levels were fun or not.

Ed said:

I found it in a used bin at a computer shop two years ago. I love Maximum Doom (I'm serious), it's such a step back in time, where design standards meant only if your levels were fun or not.

Yeah he has a point, back in the day, if a level was fun, then you played it, it did not really matter what it looked like...

My favourites of the actual Master Levels are the ones by John W. Anderson. I'm not too fond of any of the others.