Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RiviTheWarlock

[SLOTS OPEN] DARKZONE: A low-lit Community Project

I hope this project doesn't go... erm... under the dark, since this is one of the more interesting community project premises i can think of this year, at least on DW. I'm hoping it also gets some quality control :p

I'm already spread a bit thin with my own projects but i might just make a map for this...... maybe..............]

EDIT: Fuck it, i'm claiming map05. I love this first episode theme.

this sounds like a fun community project 

im claiming map06 for now 

i will most likely make a map for this

I’ll give it a shot, count me in. Will mess around and let you know in a couple of days if it’s possible or not for me at the moment. Could take 07 (if that’s possible)

Edited by Sonny666

I do like the idea, I would like to claim map18.

Edit: I decided to drop my slot due to being busy with stuff and not being able to think of something for map18, so said slot is now open.

Edited by LGmaire

Seems like a cool idea, dunno how SoftFX managed to pass me by since it looks great. I'll take Map14!

I love wads that take advantage of diminishing lighting, so I'm excited to play this when y'all are done!

Scanned the doc a bunch and checked the resource out. I've decided to take MAP10 for a small/medium cave map!
I'm thinking 2048x2048 or slightly bigger max size.

didn’t realize the techbase slots were all taken and map07 was reserved, that’s a bummer for sure… it’s fine anyway because I had too much on my plate. The textures and example map look amazing though

Edited by Sonny666

Oh wow wish i was creative enough to make my own maps. Can't wait to see how this turns out! Dark and moody is definitely my favorite kind of map and having a bunch of them in one wad sounds kickass. 

Also keep in mind that dark maps are even more awesome when paired with PSX sound effects ;)

Edited by Muusi

@RiviTheWarlock Recorded you a demo.

Not to be rude but for a MAP01, the map that you said should be the shortest and as a sample map i think this ticks all the wrong boxes. Way too many enemies (or way too claustrophobic for this many enemies), no breathing space between fights, too grindy, and generally not what i expected this project would be about.

I also saw your difficulty specifications in the google docs link and i'd suggest dialing this back as a moody project rather than a Scythe 2 clone on cocaine. It'd fit the project way better, you wouldn't have to worry about arbitrary definitions/interpretations of high difficulty balancing, and would probably fit everyone's expectations of this premise a lot better. If this project has to rely on overwhelming fights in extremely dark spaces i think i'll be pulling out.

EDIT: I think i will be pulling out either way, sorry. The resources seem to be just the entirety of 32in24tex without any trimming down (so kinda overwhelming and not terribly cohesive) and people are probably already working on maps so it's too late to change that.

Edited by MattFright

1 hour ago, MattFright said:

@RiviTheWarlock Recorded you a demo.

Not to be rude but for a MAP01, the map that you said should be the shortest and as a sample map i think this ticks all the wrong boxes. Way too many enemies (or way too claustrophobic for this many enemies), no breathing space between fights, too grindy, and generally not what i expected this project would be about.

I also saw your difficulty specifications in the google docs link and i'd suggest dialing this back as a moody project rather than a Scythe 2 clone on cocaine. It'd fit the project way better, you wouldn't have to worry about arbitrary definitions/interpretations of high difficulty balancing, and would probably fit everyone's expectations of this premise a lot better. If this project has to rely on overwhelming fights in extremely dark spaces i think i'll be pulling out.

EDIT: I think i will be pulling out either way, sorry. The resources seem to be just the entirety of 32in24tex without any trimming down (so kinda overwhelming and not terribly cohesive) and people are probably already working on maps so it's too late to change that.

It's fine if you think the first map is too hard. I personally don't find it too difficult, but we can turn it down if more people agree it's too rough. As for the resources the point of this is to use Muumi's edited 32in24 resources, so I wanted the whole thing to be available. Part of community projects is that everyone has a different style, and if you don't like my style that's okay. I'm making maps too, so I also need feedback! If other people agree I went too hard with Map01 I'll change it or move it to a different slot. 

3 hours ago, Obsidian said:

...I may or may not be interested in contributing, heh. We'll see if inspiration strikes.

Okay, I've had an idea, but it's a little high-concept and might be more suited to a secret map slot. I'll make a quick proof of concept and then PM it to you to see what you think.

Oh man, this project looks so cool, I can’t wait to see what everyone cooks up! Sadly I’m not sure if I’ll have time to join this project myself, it looks like it’ll be a lot of fun though!

I'll give it an attempt during the week, some rough images coming to mind that need to be materialized... and after reading the guidelines, I think the closest to blend with my idea is "gothic chill", so map 16 please.

I'm fairly new to mapping but I'd like to contribute. I can't promise It'll be anything special or measure up to some of the talented folks here contributing, but could I have map13, please?

I have a few questions, if  @RiviTheWarlock would be so kind enough to answer them.

Spoiler
  •  I haven't played Eviternity in a very long time. Is the difficulty just a rough estimate
  • Will we need to compile the maps ourselves? I'm fine with compiling by myself, I'd just rather know now.
  • How do I target a source port? Do I test the map specifically with that source port?
  • Is there anything I should know about DSDA doom? I'm not at all familiar with that port.  

Apologies for all the questions, but I don't want to mess this up, or make thing harder for you or myself by misunderstanding the rules. And thank you for allowing novice mappers such as myself into the fold.

EDIT: I am getting 261 errors saying that the resource is double defined. Should I be worried about that?

Edited by Silent Wolf

I'd like to have a go at doing a cave map, as I'm a lot better at those than I used to be. Can I have an E2 slot? I've just started messing with Boom features in a project of my own, so any excuse to get more familiar with them is welcome.

Are we allowed to use liquids as a light source, e.g lava that glows? I assume yes but just want to be sure.

1 hour ago, Silent Wolf said:

I'm fairly new to mapping but I'd like to contribute. I can't promise It'll be anything special or measure up to some of the talented folks here contributing, but could I have map13, please?

I have a few questions, if  @RiviTheWarlock would be so kind enough to answer them.

Hide contents
  •  I haven't played Eviternity in a very long time. Is the difficulty just a rough estimate
  • Will we need to compile the maps ourselves? I'm fine with compiling by myself, I'd just rather know now.
  • How do I target a source port? Do I test the map specifically with that source port?
  • Is there anything I should know about DSDA doom? I'm not at all familiar with that port.  

Apologies for all the questions, but I don't want to mess this up, or make thing harder for you or myself by misunderstanding the rules. And thank you for allowing novice mappers such as myself into the fold.

Difficulty guidelines are rough generalizations so don't worry about it too much. As for the source port, as long as you make the map in Boom (Doom 2) format it should work in DSDA doom, but it's safest to download and test in DSDA doom. Your submission just needs the map and midi file I will handle everything else. 

Just now, Silent Wolf said:

I'm getting 261 errors saying that patches are double defined. Should I be worried about that?

Not at all, the double defined patches are just the edited SoftFX textures overwritting the old ones. The proper textures are being used. 

I shouldn't do this because I'm already tied up in enough projects but fuck it, the premise of this one sounds way too interesting for me to pass it up. I'll take any Void-episode slot that isn't taken yet.

I think this is a awesome Idea.

Im not going to claim a spot now, but I feel like Ill take one of the void maps.

Actually scratch that Ill take map23! I have always wanted to do one of those maps.